Zoomtext and vista

  • Thomas Morgan
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 13, 2007
      Hi, its been a while since ZT 9.1 was released now, and vista will be releasing there SP1 in Q1 '08 so im asking the people who use zoomtext 9.1 and Vista to give me there thoughts on how they run together.

      Have u had a good experience with zoomtext and vista?
      Have u seen any improvements over running zoomtext in XP?
      What are the drawbacks?
      How do u think of Vista from a vision impaired perspective?

      I am considering upgrading to vista when the SP1 has been out for a couple of months, and just want to no if that is a wise dicision.

      Cheers,
      Tom

    • Thomas Morgan

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 13, 2007
          >I am considering upgrading to vista when the SP1 has been out for a
          couple of

          >months, and just want to no if that is a wise dicision.

          NO, If you intend to buy a new computer with Vista pre-installed then
          maybe, but I wouldn't.

          ---========================

          Keep Shooting!

          BruceHP@...

          ==========================

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 14, 2007
            Burce do u used Vista with zoomtext?
            What is the performance like compared to XP?

            I have installed vista on another parition previously when ZT 9.1 was in beta to give it a go, but i wasnt too impressed even though all my hardware is fine with vista and meats its system requirements.

            BruceHP <BruceHP@...> wrote: >I am considering upgrading to vista when the SP1 has been out for a

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 14, 2007
              >Burce do u used Vista with zoomtext?

              No, At this point I never intend to use Vista. I'll be switching to
              Linux or a Mac.

              ---========================

              Keep Shooting!

              BruceHP@...

              ==========================

              From: Thomas Morgan

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 14, 2007
                What is the Linux adaptive tech like? Do they have a good screen magnifier? Id prolly swap over too linux myself if i knew of a good screen magnifier...

                Thanks

                BruceHP <BruceHP@...> wrote: >Burce do u used Vista with zoomtext?

                From: Thomas Morgan

                  From: Thomas Morgan

                  From: Thomas Morgan

                  To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com

                  Sent: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 4:57 am

                  ---------------------------------

                  Building a website is a piece of cake.

                  Individual Email | Traditional

                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                  mailto:magnifiers-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  mailto:magnifiers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  http://mail.aol.com

                  ---------------------------------

                  Individual Email | Traditional

                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                  mailto:magnifiers-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  mailto:magnifiers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  http://mail.aol.com

                  Individual Email | Traditional

                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                  mailto:magnifiers-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  mailto:magnifiers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  http://mail.aol.com
                • Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diógenes
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 15, 2007

                    2007/9/15, Thomas Morgan <tommorgan85@...>:
                    > What is the Linux adaptive tech like? Do they have a good screen magnifier? Id prolly swap over too linux myself if i knew of a good screen magnifier...

                    I contribute with the development of gnome-mag, a screen magnifier
                    used in the GNOME desktop.

                    Today, to get the magnifier with all it's features you will need to do
                    some compilation, but if you are patient you can wait the Ubuntu 7.10
                    release. It will come with the latest release of GNOME. In this
                    release the magnifier have a good support for the following:

                    * Full-screen and split screen modes (freely configurable throw Orca -
                    a screen reader)
                    * Up to 10x of magnification
                    * Invert colour screen filter
                    * Contrast and brightness manipulation
                    * Image filters for colour-blind people

                    Although the magnifier can be used in stand-alone mode it's preferable
                    that it be used with Orca, since the last is the application that
                    offer the configuration screen for the magnifier.

                    Hope this help.

                    Best regards,
                    Carlos.
                  • Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 15, 2007
                      BruceHP wrote:
                      > What is the Linux adaptive tech like?

                      Improving.

                      > Do they have a good screen magnifier?

                      The GNOME desktop environment, which is a common choice for Linux,
                      includes a magnifier:

                      http://live.gnome.org/Orca

                      You'll find it in GNOME-based Linux distributions such as Ubuntu:

                      http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/accessibility

                      The BBC has a guide to enabling the magnifier:

                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/linux/seeing/magnify/os/mag_gnome.shtml

                      KDE is the other common desktop environment choice. It doesn't have an
                      available screen reader yet, but it does include an available magnifier:

                      http://accessibility.kde.org/aids/

                      I know little of magnifiers, but my vague impression is that these
                      magnifiers are serviceable but not as advanced as commercial Windows
                      counterparts.

                      But here's what I suggest. Most mainstream Linux distributions produce
                      live CDs, where the operating system boots and runs from the CD, without
                      requiring any modification of your Window system. This allows you to try
                      out Linux with relatively little risk or effort. If interested, I
                      recommend you try the Ubuntu and Kubuntu Live CDs. You may find my guide
                      to experimenting with *nix-based operating systems helpful:

                      http://access.benjaminhawkeslewis.com/test-drive-nix-based-os.html

                      --
                      Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
                    • BruceHP
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 15, 2007
                        * Full-screen and split screen modes (freely configurable throw Orca -

                        a screen reader)

                        Will it have a Lens type magnifier? Thanks!

                        ---========================

                        Keep Shooting!

                        BruceHP@...

                        ==========================

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 15, 2007
                          BruceHP wrote:

                          > What is the Linux adaptive tech like?

                          Even though I didn't write the above, thanks for the great information!

                          ---========================

                          Keep Shooting!

                          BruceHP@...

                          ==========================

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 15, 2007
                            2007/9/15, BruceHP <BruceHP@...>:
                            > * Full-screen and split screen modes (freely configurable throw Orca -
                            >
                            > a screen reader)
                            >

                            > Will it have a Lens type magnifier? Thanks!

                            It's possible in the actual stage and isn't difficult to implement. I
                            hope to address it soon.

                            Best regards,
                            Carlos.
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 17, 2007
                              Here's a discussion about how to run Orca in full screen mode:
                              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=493790 I tried Orca on an Ubuntu
                              machine this weekend and it worked out of the box. However, it was in
                              split-screen mode by default and I didn't have the time to figure out the
                              full screen mode.

                              - Bas

                              --
                              Bas Cancrinus - freelance Java-consultant
                              Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

                              Cancrinus ICT - www.canict.com

                            • cazbow2006
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 23, 2009
                                hi all.
                                where can i download zoomtext for my vista laptop?
                                thanks guys caroline
                              • Haverp@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 23, 2009
                                  aisquared.com

                                  In a message dated 1/23/2009 1:50:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                  cazbow2005@... writes:

                                  hi all.
                                  where can i download zoomtext for my vista laptop?
                                  thanks guys caroline

                                  steps!
                                  cemailfooterNO62)

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 26, 2009