RE: [magnifiers] GPS navigator

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
      Hi Leo,

      Most popular GPS products used by visually impaired are Trekker from
      Humanware (http://www.humanware.com) and WayFinder Access
      (http://www.wayfinder.com/products/wayfinder_access.en.php?link_id=submenu_d
      ynamic).

      Trekker is specially designed for visually impaired and I tried it for two
      weeks. It cost 4 times a mainstream GPS, like those from Garmin.
      I think I would buy Trekker if it costs $500, instead of $2000, that it cost
      now. It has a Where am i feature, that tells you where you are. You can
      easily voice your own points of interest, so they are announced to you in
      the feature. If you pass a street it is read aloud to you. The problem with
      most GPS systems while walking, they are all to slow. Streets I crossed were
      announced by Trekker 50 meters after I pass them. So plan a route for
      walking and walk it, will be time consuming. The Trekker is useful to give
      you an idea where you are and what streets there are in the neighbourhood,
      but it does not help you much to find a specific address. Connection with
      satellite was often lost during my walks. If I walked under trees or along
      high buildings Trekker was only trying to connect to enough satellites.
      Strange is also that the Trekker maps are very expensive and often
      out-of-date.

      The Trekker is extremely useful in public transport. In a bus or tram you
      can activate the driver mode. Everytime the bus or tram arives on a new
      street, it is announced to you. This realy worked great and is very helpful.

      Trekker is realy a promising product, but at this moment only realy useful
      in driving mode, not to guide you to a specific street or address.

      At this moment Trekker inlcudes three components. A mainstream PDA with
      touch screen.This touch screen has been made accessible by attaching an
      overlay keypad to the screen. Drawback is, that by doing this the screen is
      not visible anymore for sighted people! he PDA includes the Windows Mobile
      operating system and psecial Trekker GPS navigator software. The 2nd
      component is a bluetooth GPS receiver, that you can attach on your shoulder
      to get an optimal connection with the satellites. The 3d component is a
      external speaker. In the bus I simply plugged in a headphone, instead of
      using the external speaker.

      WayFinder is mainstream navigation software for mobile phones. It has been
      made accessible for visually impaired. Everything is spoken out and it has
      an where am I feature. Because it is mainstream software it is much cheaper
      than Trekker.

      Regards Peter Verhoeven
      magnifiers.org

      > Hi people, perhaps someone can help me with na interesting question:
      >
      > Most visually impaired people have problems with reaching
      > places, especially when walking around unknown places. I am
      > low vision (Zoomtext user) and I go around with a guide dog.
      > My dog can help me in a number of situation (coming across
      > streets, avoiding obstacles, etc.) but she is not able to
      > indicate me the right way.
      >
      > Therefore I have been thinking about buying a GPS navigator
      > but I have never seen one myself. There are some players in
      > this market, offering various navigators either to drivers or
      > to foot-walkers, but I wonder which product covers low vision
      > needs. As far as I understood, most navigators say directions
      > loud (turn left, go straight, etc.) but they are not able to
      > say which street you are in, although this information is
      > shown in the display.
      >
      > If you have clue about navigators accessible to the visually
      > impaired, provided with good magnifier or reader, please, let me know!
      >
      > Thank you all, Leo

    • Thomas Morgan
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 13, 2007
        Hi, its been a while since ZT 9.1 was released now, and vista will be releasing there SP1 in Q1 '08 so im asking the people who use zoomtext 9.1 and Vista to give me there thoughts on how they run together.

        Have u had a good experience with zoomtext and vista?
        Have u seen any improvements over running zoomtext in XP?
        What are the drawbacks?
        How do u think of Vista from a vision impaired perspective?

        I am considering upgrading to vista when the SP1 has been out for a couple of months, and just want to no if that is a wise dicision.

        Cheers,
        Tom

      • Thomas Morgan

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 13, 2007
            >I am considering upgrading to vista when the SP1 has been out for a
            couple of

            >months, and just want to no if that is a wise dicision.

            NO, If you intend to buy a new computer with Vista pre-installed then
            maybe, but I wouldn't.

            ---========================

            Keep Shooting!

            BruceHP@...

            ==========================

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 14, 2007
              Burce do u used Vista with zoomtext?
              What is the performance like compared to XP?

              I have installed vista on another parition previously when ZT 9.1 was in beta to give it a go, but i wasnt too impressed even though all my hardware is fine with vista and meats its system requirements.

              BruceHP <BruceHP@...> wrote: >I am considering upgrading to vista when the SP1 has been out for a

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 14, 2007
                >Burce do u used Vista with zoomtext?

                No, At this point I never intend to use Vista. I'll be switching to
                Linux or a Mac.

                ---========================

                Keep Shooting!

                BruceHP@...

                ==========================

                From: Thomas Morgan

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 14, 2007
                  What is the Linux adaptive tech like? Do they have a good screen magnifier? Id prolly swap over too linux myself if i knew of a good screen magnifier...

                  Thanks

                  BruceHP <BruceHP@...> wrote: >Burce do u used Vista with zoomtext?

                  From: Thomas Morgan

                    From: Thomas Morgan

                    From: Thomas Morgan

                    To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com

                    Sent: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 4:57 am

                    ---------------------------------

                    Building a website is a piece of cake.

                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    mailto:magnifiers-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    mailto:magnifiers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    http://mail.aol.com

                    ---------------------------------

                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    mailto:magnifiers-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    mailto:magnifiers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    http://mail.aol.com

                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    mailto:magnifiers-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    mailto:magnifiers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    http://mail.aol.com
                  • Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diógenes
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 15, 2007

                      2007/9/15, Thomas Morgan <tommorgan85@...>:
                      > What is the Linux adaptive tech like? Do they have a good screen magnifier? Id prolly swap over too linux myself if i knew of a good screen magnifier...

                      I contribute with the development of gnome-mag, a screen magnifier
                      used in the GNOME desktop.

                      Today, to get the magnifier with all it's features you will need to do
                      some compilation, but if you are patient you can wait the Ubuntu 7.10
                      release. It will come with the latest release of GNOME. In this
                      release the magnifier have a good support for the following:

                      * Full-screen and split screen modes (freely configurable throw Orca -
                      a screen reader)
                      * Up to 10x of magnification
                      * Invert colour screen filter
                      * Contrast and brightness manipulation
                      * Image filters for colour-blind people

                      Although the magnifier can be used in stand-alone mode it's preferable
                      that it be used with Orca, since the last is the application that
                      offer the configuration screen for the magnifier.

                      Hope this help.

                      Best regards,
                      Carlos.
                    • Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 15, 2007
                        BruceHP wrote:
                        > What is the Linux adaptive tech like?

                        Improving.

                        > Do they have a good screen magnifier?

                        The GNOME desktop environment, which is a common choice for Linux,
                        includes a magnifier:

                        http://live.gnome.org/Orca

                        You'll find it in GNOME-based Linux distributions such as Ubuntu:

                        http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/accessibility

                        The BBC has a guide to enabling the magnifier:

                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/linux/seeing/magnify/os/mag_gnome.shtml

                        KDE is the other common desktop environment choice. It doesn't have an
                        available screen reader yet, but it does include an available magnifier:

                        http://accessibility.kde.org/aids/

                        I know little of magnifiers, but my vague impression is that these
                        magnifiers are serviceable but not as advanced as commercial Windows
                        counterparts.

                        But here's what I suggest. Most mainstream Linux distributions produce
                        live CDs, where the operating system boots and runs from the CD, without
                        requiring any modification of your Window system. This allows you to try
                        out Linux with relatively little risk or effort. If interested, I
                        recommend you try the Ubuntu and Kubuntu Live CDs. You may find my guide
                        to experimenting with *nix-based operating systems helpful:

                        http://access.benjaminhawkeslewis.com/test-drive-nix-based-os.html

                        --
                        Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
                      • BruceHP
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 15, 2007
                          * Full-screen and split screen modes (freely configurable throw Orca -

                          a screen reader)

                          Will it have a Lens type magnifier? Thanks!

                          ---========================

                          Keep Shooting!

                          BruceHP@...

                          ==========================

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 15, 2007
                            BruceHP wrote:

                            > What is the Linux adaptive tech like?

                            Even though I didn't write the above, thanks for the great information!

                            ---========================

                            Keep Shooting!

                            BruceHP@...

                            ==========================

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 15, 2007
                              2007/9/15, BruceHP <BruceHP@...>:
                              > * Full-screen and split screen modes (freely configurable throw Orca -
                              >
                              > a screen reader)
                              >

                              > Will it have a Lens type magnifier? Thanks!

                              It's possible in the actual stage and isn't difficult to implement. I
                              hope to address it soon.

                              Best regards,
                              Carlos.
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 17, 2007
                                Here's a discussion about how to run Orca in full screen mode:
                                http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=493790 I tried Orca on an Ubuntu
                                machine this weekend and it worked out of the box. However, it was in
                                split-screen mode by default and I didn't have the time to figure out the
                                full screen mode.

                                - Bas

                                --
                                Bas Cancrinus - freelance Java-consultant
                                Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

                                Cancrinus ICT - www.canict.com

                              • cazbow2006
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 23, 2009
                                  hi all.
                                  where can i download zoomtext for my vista laptop?
                                  thanks guys caroline
                                • Haverp@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 23, 2009
                                    aisquared.com

                                    In a message dated 1/23/2009 1:50:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                    cazbow2005@... writes:

                                    hi all.
                                    where can i download zoomtext for my vista laptop?
                                    thanks guys caroline

                                    steps!
                                    cemailfooterNO62)

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 26, 2009