Vista accessibility

  • nalajoyce
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2007
      Greetings. There is a widespread opinion that we home users should not
      upriade our Windows XP computers to the new Vista operating system, at
      least for a year or so, until the Beta version is replaced. On the
      other hand, Vista has Accessibility featurescovering screen
      magnificartion, reading and voice recognition/interaction which might
      be highly valuable to the low vision community and should be given a
      priority consieration. Has anyone seen critical reviews of these Vista
      features. Surely they will have significant impact on the sales of
      Zoomtext, Jaws, and Dragon.
    • BruceHP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2007
        The wise opinion would be to NEVER upgrade the Operating System of your
        Windows computer! If you want the new Vista OS, you should buy a new
        computer with the new OS installed.

        I doubt that the Accessibility aids in Vista will be much better than
        the ones in XP and certainly not on a par with major third party
        software.

        Even if you do buy a new computer, there are many versions of the new
        Vista and not all have the same functions. If the computer doesn't
        have the power needed, some functions will not work even if you have
        the Best version of Vista.

        Beware.

        ---===============
        Keep Shooting!
        BruceHP@...
        =================

        Greetings. There is a widespread opinion that we home users should
        not
        upriade our Windows XP computers to the new Vista operating system, at
        least for a year or so, until the Beta version is replaced. On the
        other hand, Vista has Accessibility featurescovering screen
        magnificartion, reading and voice recognition/interaction which might
        be highly valuable to the low vision community and should be given a
        priority consieration. Has anyone seen critical reviews of these Vista
        features. Surely they will have significant impact on the sales of
        Zoomtext, Jaws, and Dragon.

        across the web, free AOL Mail and more.
      • Verhoeven, Peter
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2007
          Regarding accessibility features in Vista. It seems all the same like in
          ppevious versions of Windows, only with other names.

          Most of those features are useless for most visually impaired computer
          users.
          We stay dependent on AT companies like AiSquared (ZoomText), Dolphin
          (Lunar, LunarPlus, Hal, Supernova), Freedom Scientific )Jaws, Magic), GW
          Micro (Window-Eyes), Iisist (iZoom), Baum Virgo4, Galileo) etc.

          Be sure before buying a new computer with Vista, that your screen reader
          or magnifier is compatible with Vista. Most current versions will not be
          compatible.

          There is no need to upgrade to Vista if you do not plan to buy a new
          computer.

          Peter Verhoeven
          Magnifiers.org

          > Greetings. There is a widespread opinion that we home users
          > should not upriade our Windows XP computers to the new Vista
          > operating system, at least for a year or so, until the Beta
          > version is replaced. On the other hand, Vista has
          > Accessibility featurescovering screen magnificartion, reading
          > and voice recognition/interaction which might be highly
          > valuable to the low vision community and should be given a
          > priority consieration. Has anyone seen critical reviews of
          > these Vista features. Surely they will have significant
          > impact on the sales of Zoomtext, Jaws, and Dragon.

          This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

          If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

          If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message.

          Thank you for your co-operation.