Monitors

  • Haverp@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2007
      I'll be buying a new computer system shortly. Are there any compatabilty
      problems iwth betwen flat screen monitors and zoomtext? I currently use a 19i
      inch SVG CRT monitor, it has very good contrast -- will flat screen monitors
      equal it in contrast? What are the best monitors for contrast today?

      thanks,

      /greg

    • BruceHP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2007
        In a message dated 1/6/2007 7:46:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        Haverp@... writes:

        I'll be buying a new computer system shortly. Are there any compatabilty
        problems iwth betwen flat screen monitors and zoomtext?

        No problems with flat screens.

        Make sure get 1 or 2 gigs of memory and 256 megs of vidram. No "On-board"
        video.

      • Russ
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
          Hi Greg

          You are right to focus on contraqst, I tried several LCD monitors and found
          a big difference in contrast. At least 1000:1 is needed on an LCD to
          approach the contrast of CRTs. Lower contrast caused more eye strain. I
          ended up going back to using a crt monitor. You also need to check the
          native resolution of the LCD monitor. Generally it gives a poorer image in
          any other res. I found the LCDs used a higher res than I was used to and
          maybe a different aspect ratio. Running the display at a higher res
          requires running Zoomtext at a higher magnification which can affect
          performance. I did not find brand to be any guide, you have to evaluate
          specific models and they change frequently.

          The warning about onboard video is good but some motherboards now have good
          quality video and dedicated ram. I intended to replace the onboard video
          with a video card in the pc I am currently using but found no need.

          Russell

          On 1/7/07, BruceHP@... <BruceHP@...> wrote:

          > In a message dated 1/6/2007 7:46:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > Haverp@... <Haverp%40aol.com> writes:
          >
          > I'll be buying a new computer system shortly. Are there any compatabilty
          > problems iwth betwen flat screen monitors and zoomtext?
          >
          > No problems with flat screens.
          >
          > Make sure get 1 or 2 gigs of memory and 256 megs of vidram. No "On-board"
          > video.

        • C.L.M. Toxopeus
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
            Hello Greg,

            My advice would be: Keep your CRT monitor and do not
            change to a LCD monitor. In my perception the image of
            a CRT is better than a LCD if you sit closer to the
            screen than regular (as in my case). This is because
            in CRT the light is equally displayed over the screen
            while LCD has a single light source somewhere besides
            the screen. I mean that one part of the screen is
            darker than the other (depending on the viewing angle
            and the distance). If you sit further from the screen
            (which I don't) than this effect is less visable. And
            indeed the contrast of a CRT is better. I still prefer
            a CRT screen.

            If you are looking for a new CRT. I believe Samsung,
            Philips and Dell still sell them. Philips has a 22
            inch screen. Currently I use an Iiyama 22 inch screen.
            But from there site I see they now only sell LCD's.

            Regards,
            Kees

          • John Cunniff
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
              Hello, Russell and Kees,

              I have to agree with you on LCD's (like flat panel monitors) that it is
              not a very good for the low vision people. I was going to get a Flat
              Panel monitor 3 years ago, I think but I didn't wanted one. But, my
              youngest brother got me MAG CRT monitor. It works nicely for my vision's
              need! I learned something new from both of you that I didn't know until
              you described to Greg about that. Wow. That's interesting to know about it.

              Thanks for sharing for Greg that I find this very valuable to buy
              smarter! Smile.

              Have a good day.

              John :)

            • BruceHP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2007
                >My advice would be: Keep your CRT monitor and do not
                change to a LCD monitor. In my perception the image of
                a CRT is better than a LCD if you sit closer to the
                >screen than regular

                My advice would still be to switch to the LCDs. I'm not still using a
                CRT display, I have been using a notebook with a 17" flat screen for
                more than a year and see no reason to return to a CRT. I'm only using
                half of the screens brightness and contrast and the edge to edge
                brightness is better than any CRT. The viewing angle may be smaller
                than a CRT, but, I am only one person sitting directly in front of the
                screen.

                If you must sit close to the screen, a very large screen is of no help.
                The 17" screen may even be larger than optimum. I would go the a shop
                and look at the screen before purchasing anything. It would be even
                better if you can find a demo also using your screen magnifier.

                Finally, People may tell you that you don't need more RAM or VidRAM
                but, neither are a big extra expense and neither ever hurt.

                ---===============
                Keep Shooting!
                BruceHP@...
                =================

                across the web, free AOL Mail and more.
              • Russ
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2007
                  The different experiences people with low vision have had with LCD monitors
                  probably reflects different eye conditions. The few people I know using
                  Zoomtext have all changed to LCD monitors and would not go back to CRT. I
                  tried their notebooks and desktop LCD monitors with Zoomtext and fond that
                  they caused me significantly more eyestrain and were basically unuseable.
                  The obvious difference in the way we used the computers was that I required
                  a much higher level of magnification with zoomtext and I sat closer to the
                  monitor. I normally use zoomtext at 12x on a 20inch monitor. I also found
                  a smaller CRT monitor unsatisfactory as I had to use Zoomtext at its
                  highest magnification levels and it did not perform well at these levels.

                  Russell

                  On 1/9/07, BruceHP@... <BruceHP@...> wrote:

                  > >My advice would be: Keep your CRT monitor and do not
                  > change to a LCD monitor. In my perception the image of
                  > a CRT is better than a LCD if you sit closer to the
                  > >screen than regular
                  >
                  > My advice would still be to switch to the LCDs. I'm not still using a
                  > CRT display, I have been using a notebook with a 17" flat screen for
                  > more than a year and see no reason to return to a CRT. I'm only using
                  > half of the screens brightness and contrast and the edge to edge
                  > brightness is better than any CRT. The viewing angle may be smaller
                  > than a CRT, but, I am only one person sitting directly in front of the
                  > screen.
                  >
                  > If you must sit close to the screen, a very large screen is of no help.
                  > The 17" screen may even be larger than optimum. I would go the a shop
                  > and look at the screen before purchasing anything. It would be even
                  > better if you can find a demo also using your screen magnifier.
                  >
                  > Finally, People may tell you that you don't need more RAM or VidRAM
                  > but, neither are a big extra expense and neither ever hurt.
                  >
                  > ---===============
                  > Keep Shooting!
                  > BruceHP@... <BruceHP%40aol.com>

                • Barbara Friedman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 8, 2007
                    Hi to all,

                    Russ, you're certainly correct about the effect of variations in eye
                    conditions. The glare in any CRT I have tried is absolutely prohibitive for
                    me. For that reason, I've been using LCD's since 2000. I also use Zoomtext.

                    Barbara

                    _____