Microsoft Again creates New Accessibility Problems With Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Vista

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006

      A search on "Vista Accessibility" on Google results in more than 4 million matches about the most accessible Windows version ever.
      That is what Microsft said and that is what you can read in the media. Did those media editors ever asked a user of a screen magnifier / screen reader. I don't think so.

      I believe Microsoft find it important to let the public opinion believe, that Windows is accessible, instead of making it accessible.

      TThis article tells you the truth about Microsft and the lack of accessiblity features in Windows Vista.

      Peter Verhoeven

      Click below for the full story!
      http://magnifiers.org/news.php?action=fullnews&id=205
    • Shawn Warren
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
        Peter,

        In this article you wrote, when referring to IE7...

        "No existing...screen magnifier will work properly with it" I am curious about the screen magnifier issues (ZoomText Magnifier, Lunar and Magic in particular), I'm not aware of any.

        "Speech will stop in most screen readers or never starts. Special reading options in screen reader...will not work." We did not see any issues with SuperNova 7. We have not looked at Jaws yet (and if there are issues I'm sure fixes will be available within days.).

        "Who is paying for this?" There is no charge for users ZoomText that is currently on the market (and I'm sure this will be true for other products).

        I hope my comments are not taken the wrong way. I appreciate the content of the article you wrote. I'm simply curious about the support for the IE7 statements.

        Shawn

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
          Here's ZT's response..

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
            Hi Shwawn,

            See inline comment.

            > In this article you wrote, when referring to IE7...
            >
            > "No existing...screen magnifier will work properly with it" I
            > am curious about the screen magnifier issues (ZoomText
            > Magnifier, Lunar and Magic in particular), I'm not aware of any.

            Is that why AI Squared releases 9.04, because there are no issues?
            Please read forums like this and others, where people report serious
            problems with Zoomtext and IE7!

            > "Speech will stop in most screen readers or never starts.
            > Special reading options in screen reader...will not work." We
            > did not see any issues with SuperNova 7. We have not looked
            > at Jaws yet (and if there are issues I'm sure fixes will be
            > available within days.).

            Interesting that employees of AI Squared are doing Dolphin test.
            Supernova stops speaking after opening File menu in IE7.
            Microsoft knows this problem, but as usual accessiblity issues are not
            very important for them realy.

            > "Who is paying for this?" There is no charge for users
            > ZoomText that is currently on the market (and I'm sure this
            > will be true for other products).

            Users that have the most recent versions of screen reader and screen
            magnifier can get a free update or fix, but the majority uses an older
            version. Will AI Squared solve compatibility issues with Zoomtext 7 or 8
            and IE7?

            Does AI Squared and all other companies in the AT iindustry give all
            screen reader and magnifier users full access to Windows Vista, without
            the need for a paid upgrade? Good news Shawn, but I don't believe it.

            Some people here in the Netherlands get only paid a release of there
            home used access software once in five years. Those social security
            companies use the accessiblity quotes from Microsoft to argue why you do
            not get a new release paid.

            What about all those millions of visually impaired in upcoming economic
            coutries like India and China? Who is going to pay the bill to give them
            access and let them participate in society?

            > I hope my comments are not taken the wrong way. I appreciate
            > the content of the article you wrote. I'm simply curious
            > about the support for the IE7 statements.

            I'm more afraid of people installing IE7 and getting problems. I have
            the idea, that no good testing was done and why is Microsoft planning an
            automatic update if they know some people can get serious problems like
            speech loss. Not everyone is a computer expert, who can remove SAPI
            DLL's from specific directories. Most can not, are only depending of a
            working system.

            I'm curious about the support AT companies are going to give all those
            people when things go wrong? What if they use old versions?

            Peter Verhoeven
            Mgnifiers.org

            This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
            If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
            If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a "reply" message.
            Thank you for your cooperation.
          • wrrnshwn
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
              Hi Peter,

              I thought that I repled to the post below but do not see it. here it
              is (again?)

              See inline comment

              --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, "Verhoeven, Peter"
              <peter.verhoeven@...> wrote:

              > Hi Shwawn,
              >
              > See inline comment.
              >

              > > In this article you wrote, when referring to IE7...
              > >
              > > "No existing...screen magnifier will work properly with it" I
              > > am curious about the screen magnifier issues (ZoomText
              > > Magnifier, Lunar and Magic in particular), I'm not aware of any.
              > >
              > Is that why AI Squared releases 9.04, because there are no issues?
              > Please read forums like this and others, where people report serious
              > problems with Zoomtext and IE7!

              Ai Squared is releasing ZoomText 9.04 for reading features in
              MagReader not ZoomText Magnifier.

              > > "Speech will stop in most screen readers or never starts.
              > > Special reading options in screen reader...will not work." We
              > > did not see any issues with SuperNova 7. We have not looked
              > > at Jaws yet (and if there are issues I'm sure fixes will be
              > > available within days.).
              > >
              > Interesting that employees of AI Squared are doing Dolphin test.
              > Supernova stops speaking after opening File menu in IE7.

              Yes Ai Squared tests Dolphin just like the Dolphin tests ZoomText. Ai
              Squared likes being leaders in low-vision software and the good people
              at Dophin like to be the best too. I think this is beneficial for all.

              > Microsoft knows this problem, but as usual accessiblity issues are not
              > very important for them realy.
              >

              > > "Who is paying for this?" There is no charge for users
              > > ZoomText that is currently on the market (and I'm sure this
              > > will be true for other products).
              > >
              > Users that have the most recent versions of screen reader and screen
              > magnifier can get a free update or fix, but the majority uses an older
              > version. Will AI Squared solve compatibility issues with Zoomtext 7 or 8
              > and IE7?
              >
              > Does AI Squared and all other companies in the AT iindustry give all
              > screen reader and magnifier users full access to Windows Vista, without
              > the need for a paid upgrade?

              The answer for Ai Squared is no. Over 1/2 of the staff has been
              working many months to support Windows Vista.

              > Some people here in the Netherlands get only paid a release of there
              > home used access software once in five years. Those social security
              > companies use the accessiblity quotes from Microsoft to argue why you do
              > not get a new release paid.
              >
              > What about all those millions of visually impaired in upcoming economic
              > coutries like India and China? Who is going to pay the bill to give them
              > access and let them participate in society?
              >
              > > I hope my comments are not taken the wrong way. I appreciate
              > > the content of the article you wrote. I'm simply curious
              > > about the support for the IE7 statements.
              > >
              > I'm more afraid of people installing IE7 and getting problems. I have
              > the idea, that no good testing was done and why is Microsoft planning an
              > automatic update if they know some people can get serious problems like
              > speech loss. Not everyone is a computer expert, who can remove SAPI
              > DLL's from specific directories. Most can not, are only depending of a
              > working system.
              >
              > I'm curious about the support AT companies are going to give all those
              > people when things go wrong? What if they use old versions?

              I believe that overall AT companies give support that is far superior
              to non-AT software companies and that includes support for old
              versions. I believe this is true because 1.) AT companies know support
              is more critcal to its customers and 2.) customers, far more often
              than not, express genuine gratefulness for products our services and
              this motiviates us to continue and work harder.