Dual COre or muilty core computers with Zoomtext and other adaptive software

  • tommorgan85
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
      Hi all has anyone here use a computer with either 2 cpu's or a dual
      core computer with zoomtext?
      I hate how my whole system is sucked by zoomtext and i was wondering
      if having a dual core system that the performance of my computer with
      high powered applications would be improved.

      If anyone here has used a dual core / muiltible CPU system with
      adaptive software please tell us all how well it runs.

      Cheers Tom
    • Chris O'Donnell
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
        Hi all,

        This is question best answered by AiSquared. You'll want them to tell
        what to expect from various types of CPUs such as a CPU with
        HyperThreading (mostly common these days) and true dual-core CPUs.
        Then ask them exactly what part of ZoomText is hogging the CPU, the
        XFonts feature, at least reported by others, may require a ton of
        processing power.

        You can try a quick experiment yourself: with windows Task Manager
        and ZoomText running, view the Processes tab and look for the
        zoomtext.exe (or whatever correct name) line item. Then from the View
        menu, click Select Columns, the check Thread Count checkbox. This
        will add a new column to the Processes view. For zoomtext.exe line
        item, look at the Threads column, this shows the thread count for
        ZoomText at any point in time. If this count is 1, then *probably* a
        dual-core machine can run another high CPU intensive application while
        ZoomText is running. Again, the best answer would be from AiSquared,
        though.

        Since ZoomText takes a lot of processing power, one should ask
        AiSquared if they can take advantage of some hardware accleration or
        if they are using the Intel IPP libraries (they really should be, for
        best performance).

        Lots of exciting, hopefully good, questions.

        BTW, Virtual Magnifying Glass will have full screen capabilities very soon.

        Also, another freeware magnifier, Magical Glass, now offers full
        screen capabilities, very exciting indeed, to have more options these
        days.

        -Chris O

        On 10/6/06, tommorgan85 <tommorgan85@...> wrote:
        > Hi all has anyone here use a computer with either 2 cpu's or a dual
        > core computer with zoomtext?
        > I hate how my whole system is sucked by zoomtext and i was wondering
        > if having a dual core system that the performance of my computer with
        > high powered applications would be improved.
      • Russ
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
          Hi Tom

          I use a P4 630 Dual core 3ghz cpu in a pc with 1gb ram and zoomtext 8.1.
          Zoomtext works ok on this pc. I found zoomtext to noticeably degrade the
          performance of pcs with slower cpus or less ram. With zt9 I would consider
          a Core 2 Duo with 1gb ram a minimum.

          Some resource intensive apps can recognise dual core cpus and run on only
          one cpu to minimise performance impact on other apps. This might help with
          the performance problems of zoomtext if it supported this feature.

          Russell

          On 10/6/06, tommorgan85 <tommorgan85@...> wrote:

          > Hi all has anyone here use a computer with either 2 cpu's or a dual
          > core computer with zoomtext?
          > I hate how my whole system is sucked by zoomtext and i was wondering
          > if having a dual core system that the performance of my computer with
          > high powered applications would be improved.
          >
          > If anyone here has used a dual core / muiltible CPU system with
          > adaptive software please tell us all how well it runs.
          >
          > Cheers Tom

        • Thomas Morgan
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
            Chris i did what u said about the threads and Zoomtext 9 has 11, now that is quite interesting. I have seen a lot of articles about the lack of multithreaded programs not utilizing the muiti-core era we are entering into and i was wondering if these threads are the same thing those articles are referring to. So by zoomtext having 11 threads what does this mean with performance while trying tu run over CPU intensive applications.

            The Xfont takes a hell of a lot of the CPU, i turn that off and all font smoothening whenever i do my projects on my computer and I’ve notice a significant increase in the systems responsiveness.
            I think I will try emailing Aisquared with these same questions but from my experience I be waiting probably over a week.

            On another matter I still don’t exactly understand why Luna needs a non onboard graphics card to run the program where zoomtext only uses the CPU. I emailed Aisquared about this and they said they don’t use any hardware accelerators. If anyone here knows a lot about both zoomtext and luna and could explain this to me that would be great.

            I will try and run that 30 minute trial hopefully my system won’t crash. I will let u all know what I think of the magnifier.

            And if anyone has used both Luna and zoomtext and could do a comparison that would be awesome.
            Cheers.
            Tom
            P.S. If there is a freeware or another commercial magnifier that someone has used could they post their experiences and opinions on those applications?
            Anyone use a magnifier with Linux?

            Chris O'Donnell <csodonnell@...> wrote: Hi all,

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2006
              Hi Tom,

              I'm running ZT9 on an Acer Veriton dual-core P4 workstation for a while. I
              must say that I'm not overwhelmed by how ZT9 performs on that machine.
              Compared to a single-core P4 workstation ZT9's performance gain is
              insignificant IMO.

              Kind regards,
              Bas

              2006/10/6, tommorgan85 <tommorgan85@...>:

              > Hi all has anyone here use a computer with either 2 cpu's or a dual
              > core computer with zoomtext?
              > I hate how my whole system is sucked by zoomtext and i was wondering
              > if having a dual core system that the performance of my computer with
              > high powered applications would be improved.
              >
              > If anyone here has used a dual core / muiltible CPU system with
              > adaptive software please tell us all how well it runs.
              >
              > Cheers Tom

            • Chris O'Donnell
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
                > Anyone use a magnifier with Linux?

                I think we're mostly windoze puppies here, but as far as Linux goes, there
                is something called KMagnifier, which should be part of the Ubuntu distro.
                Haven't used it, but it seems users like it a lot. Also, Virtual Magnifying
                Glass now has Linux ports, that might be worth a try. Our other developer
                was kind enough to port this app to other platforms. I don't yet have an
                Ubuntu box running, first need to resurrect some old hardware before I can
                give that a spin.

                And to digress completely: In my not-so-humble-opinion, the World's Best
                Magnifier (pardon the caps, it's fun) is the one that comes with Tiger OS.
                It does everything a magnifier should: keyboard shortcuts, interactive
                full-screen usage, high-contrast display, and best yet, font smoothing with
                no performance degradation at all. If I can get my little magnifier to run
                like that, I will be one happy camper indeed.

                > Chris i did what u said about the threads and Zoomtext 9 has 11, now that
                is quite interesting. I have seen a lot of articles about the lack of
                multithreaded programs not utilizing the muiti-core era we are entering into
                and i was wondering if these threads are the same thing those articles are
                referring to. So by zoomtext having 11 threads what does this mean with
                performance while trying tu run over CPU intensive applications.

                11 threads is interesting. You'll have one thread for automatic application
                updates, probably another for application licensing. You might have some
                "unused" threads that come along for the ride, depending on what software
                techonology you are using to build your app. Chances are though, their
                display code which is the one doing all of the real work, is probably just
                one thread which is why the app doesn't run any faster on a dual-core
                system.

                Yes, dual-core (and higher) machines are very fun.

                -Chris O

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
                  2006/10/9, Chris O'Donnell <csodonnell@...>:

                  > And to digress completely: In my not-so-humble-opinion, the World's Best
                  > Magnifier (pardon the caps, it's fun) is the one that comes with Tiger OS.
                  > It does everything a magnifier should: keyboard shortcuts, interactive
                  > full-screen usage, high-contrast display, and best yet, font smoothing
                  > with
                  > no performance degradation at all. If I can get my little magnifier to run
                  > like that, I will be one happy camper indeed.

                  I totally agree with you. The only thing that prevented me from moving to
                  OS/X was the lack of keyboard tracking. That is a must-have for me. Do you
                  know whether that has been resolved?

                  Bas

                • Thomas Morgan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
                    I don't no what u guys are talking about lol but i hate the magnifier on tiger. I was trying to use it with Logic pro 7 and Pro Tools and it was hopeless. I was using a 2 cpu (G5) computer and i noticed a significat difference in performance especially when i was bouncing tracks. The hot keys were in conflict from other applications and rarly worked cause of this. And font smoothing? They dont come close to Xfont. I would put this program on par with say Zoomtext 7 (cept with more conflicts). I wonder, are we talking about the same program here? I am forced to us TIger cause a lot of industry standard audio apps are only on macs and i cant simplely just repalce the studios computers (as much as i want to). i can't wait till the new OS comes out just in a vain hope that they could improve the current one.

                    I had a go at Luna magnifier and suprise suprise it actualls has a Directdraw compatablity option. This is a great step forward, zoomtext only just told me a coule days ago that no magnifier on the market could do that. Luna was very smooth with panning the screen and felt very livly, but the font smoothing was lacking and i found i was straining. Performance wise i think it runs on a higher prioirty than the defalt setting of Zoomtext so other applications suffered, but it sure was panning very smoothly.
                    Dispite that though, i still perfer zoomtext, and maybe when i get my new core 2 duo CPU that zoomtext will perform just as livly as luna does.

                    The next version of zoomtext shall be very interesting, considering it has to be able to run on vista. And i think Directdraw compatiblity will be must for this version so i woudlnt be suprised if they start using graphics accelorators from the video cards to keep everything running smoothly.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 10, 2006
                      > I totally agree with you. The only thing that prevented me from moving to
                      OS/X was the lack of keyboard tracking. That is a must-have for me. Do you
                      know whether that has been resolved?

                      I tried using the Tiger magnifier for awhile, it seemed to do a good
                      job at following the keyboard tracking. During 45 minutes, it got
                      lost only once, when I happened to be deleting some text, the screen
                      didn't scroll to the left as expected. But that only happend once.
                      Other than that, the keyboard tracking seemed to do a good job.

                      > I don't no what u guys are talking about lol but i hate the magnifier on tiger. I was trying to use it with Logic pro 7 and Pro Tools and it was hopeless.

                      Thanks Tom for this info, it seems that all Tigers are not created
                      equal! At a complete guess, maybe you were using an older version, if
                      that even makes sense? Maybe I wasn't testing the magnifier "hard
                      enough", need to try some CPU-intensive apps just for curiousity.

                      Thanks,
                      -Chris O
                    • filu2006ro
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 10, 2006
                        --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris O'Donnell" <csodonnell@...>

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 16, 2006
                          Hi list,

                          After reading Chris's post about the magnifier in Tiger I became curious.
                          Today I could get my hands on a Mac with the latest Tiger installed on it,
                          so I gave it a try. My experiences are as follows:

                          * Keyboard tracking worked in TextEdit and QuickSilver and Safari;
                          * Keyboard tracking didn't work in Eclipse SDK, NeoOffice and Firefox;
                          * UI focus tracking only worked in Safari.

                          My conclusion is that - of the apps that I tried - only Safari is capable of
                          keyboard and UI focus tracking. This is VERY good news for us, because it
                          proves that Tiger is ready for low vision users. It is now up to the app
                          developers to implement the same API as Safari.

                          How can I tune Tiger so that its tracking capabilities are increased with
                          the other apps (like the Java AccessBridge on Win32)?

                          Kind regards,
                          Bas

                          2006/10/10, Chris O'Donnell <csodonnell@...>:

                          > > I totally agree with you. The only thing that prevented me from moving
                          > OS/X was the lack of keyboard tracking. That is a must-have for me. Do you
                          > know whether that has been resolved?
                          >
                          > I tried using the Tiger magnifier for awhile, it seemed to do a good
                          > job at following the keyboard tracking. During 45 minutes, it got
                          > lost only once, when I happened to be deleting some text, the screen
                          > didn't scroll to the left as expected. But that only happend once.
                          > Other than that, the keyboard tracking seemed to do a good job.
                          >
                          > > I don't no what u guys are talking about lol but i hate the magnifier on
                          > tiger. I was trying to use it with Logic pro 7 and Pro Tools and it was
                          > hopeless.
                          >
                          > Thanks Tom for this info, it seems that all Tigers are not created
                          > equal! At a complete guess, maybe you were using an older version, if
                          > that even makes sense? Maybe I wasn't testing the magnifier "hard
                          > enough", need to try some CPU-intensive apps just for curiousity.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > -Chris O

                        • Chris O'Donnell
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 19, 2006
                            > How can I tune Tiger so that its tracking capabilities are increased with
                            > the other apps (like the Java AccessBridge on Win32)?

                            Hi Bas,

                            I'm don't know (yet) how to achieve that. I get the impression that this
                            problem is solved the other way-around: the programmers have to make their
                            apps work. This site shows a lot of guidelines for this type of thing:
                            http://developer.apple.com/ue/accessibility/
                            Also, there is a mailing for developers on how to use these guidelines:
                            I have to study a little bit, so I can post the above question to that
                            mailing list.

                            -Chris O

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 21, 2006
                              Hi Chris,

                              That would be great! Could you relay any replies to this topic?

                              Thanks,
                              Bas

                              2006/10/19, Chris O'Donnell <csodonnell@...>:

                              > > How can I tune Tiger so that its tracking capabilities are increased
                              > with
                              > > the other apps (like the Java AccessBridge on Win32)?
                              >
                              > Hi Bas,
                              >
                              > I'm don't know (yet) how to achieve that. I get the impression that this
                              > problem is solved the other way-around: the programmers have to make their
                              > apps work. This site shows a lot of guidelines for this type of thing:
                              > http://developer.apple.com/ue/accessibility/
                              > Also, there is a mailing for developers on how to use these guidelines:
                              > I have to study a little bit, so I can post the above question to that
                              > mailing list.
                              >
                              > -Chris O

                            • lpnalda
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 11, 2006
                                Hi chris, Bas, and others. to get better ui tracking in OSX Tiger, check to make sure that
                                "Full Keyboard Access" is checked in the mouse & Keyboard prefs under system
                                preferences. Also, under Universal Access, it might help to turn on voiceover as well. So
                                far, keyboard tracking has only been an issue for me in some 3rd party word processing
                                apps and in osx mail, but UI tracking seems to work well for me since I've been using Tiger
                                since may of 2006. I hope this helps.