Zoomtext 9 or Magic 10

  • tommorgan85
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
      Hi i have been a zoomtext guy for around 10 years, but i have never
      used Magic. I was wondering if anyone has used both and can say which
      is better for Manification. I dont use speech so that isn't a
      consideration for me.

      What i want is to have the most clear image of text and graphics that
      runs very smoothly and isn't to much of a hog on the system resources,
      i'm not to fussed about special features. Aslong as it can invert the
      brightness and can zoom in to around 8x then im happy.
      Currently i am using ZT 9, and i love the new Xfont feature it has, it
      makes text very easy to see. But it feels more sluggish than ZT 8 and
      doesn't pan across the screen as smoothly which gives me headaches
      after a while.

      I am upgrading my computer soon to the new Core2duo so i am hoping
      that the feel of the program can be improved with the greater
      performance, but since i am using a P4 2.8Gh system now and well above
      the min requirments then im not sure that it will make any difference
      in ZT's performance.
    • John Cunniff
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
        Hello!

        I found your post very intersting! Smile. I have been an ZT user for a
        long time myself, too. I also have been experiencing with MAGic 8 but
        never been using MAGic 10 myself, unfortunately. My understanding that
        MAGic is manufactured by Freedom Scientific. This was moved from
        LP-Windows (I have been using that for myself and liked it very much. It
        had a nice feature was after you hit ALT+RIGHT and let it scroll across
        the screen and moves to the next line and go to the left automatically.
        ZT doesn't. I was disappointed so, had to re-learn the feature. Found it
        has DocReader since ZoomText 7.11. Oh well. i still liked LP-Windows
        very much!

        Also, my first experience with LP-DOS as ti was ok but limited feature
        and buggy, I believe.

        Unfortunately, I forgot where LP-DOS was manufactured by??? But I
        remembered it was in Brookline, MA.

        Regards,
        John :)

      • Christopher McMillan
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
          I have been a beta tester Zoomtext 9 and user Magic since 7.0. I would have
          to say the following based on using both products for about 8 years.

          If you are a speech user with Jaws, I find that the tracking and Jaws Speech
          support works much better together with Magic 10.

          From a standpoint of performance, I feel that ZT 9.0 is way ahead of Magic
          10. I have used Magic 10 on 3 different Dell PC and 2 Dell notebooks with
          RAM amounts from 756 MG to 2 GB of RAM. I have used both software packages
          on Petinum 4 machines with the latest Windows and VISTA OS, where I can.
          Magic 10 is extremely slow with is responsiveness when open IE 6 or 7,
          Office 2003 Applications and Outlook 2003.

          Magic different text sizes and color combinations seems to be better than Ai
          Squared but ZT 9.0 new Neo Speech is more robust and responsive at high
          speeds.

          So if I were using Jaws 6 or 7 I would want to work with Magic 10. If I
          were using large print alone, I would use ZT 9.0 in a heart beat.

          Here is the only draw back. On ZT 9.0 new licensing requirements, you can
          only use the product on one PC at a time. Having 3 PC's, 2 Notebooks and a
          server makes it difficult.

          Just my 2 cents and John it was developed by Micro Systems in Boston. Bill
          Kilroy, Freedom Scientific's Northeast Sales Director used to work for them.

          Sincerely,

          Christopher McMillan
          Rehabilitation Engineer
          chrismcmillan@...
          203 404 7275 Work Number
          203 286 2156 Fax Number
          Chrismcmillan Skype Username
          chrismcmillan@... Windows Messenger Username

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
            Hello, Christopher!

            Ohhhh! I just rememberd now while I read your earlier paragraphs, I
            REMEMBERED now it was VisionWare, Inc.!!! That was where they
            manufactured LP-DOS / -Windows products.

            Regards,
            John :)

          • Shawn Warren
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2006
              Chris,

              I found your thoughts on ZoomText 9 & Magic 10 very interesting.

              Please allow me to correct your comment about ZoomText 9.0 licensing. You CAN run your copy of ZoomText on 3 computers simultaneously. You would need to activate on each computer. Of course you are still bound by the legal agreement (for use by licensee only, etc.).

              Perhaps you are basing your experience on the earlier generation of ZoomText, version 8 (in this case you are correct.)

              Regards,
              Shawn

              Shawn Warren
              Director of Product Support
              Ai Squared - Making Accessibility Simple (r)
              swarren@...
              (802) 362-3612 x109

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2006
                Dear Shawn:

                Thank you for the correct on my mistake. I owe the list an apology.

                I greatly appreciate AI Squared response to the list and offering their
                feedback.