Free screen reader

  • Vince
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
      Readers might be interested to know that a much anticipated free
      screen reader program is now released for download by individual
      blind PC users.

      The program, called Thunder, is available from
      http://www.screenreader.net

      Thunder is a massively useful program, but you should not expect
      JAWS! It'swell worth studying the documentation to get the best
      from it.

      There has been quite a lot of buzz about the program and yet I don't
      find any reference to it on magnifiers.org or this group. Seems
      strange, but maybe I've missed something.

      By the way, organisations wanting to use the Thunder program
      must pay a yearly subscription, so those using it at work would
      have to make arrangements with screenreader.net.

      Other free programs intended for blind people and also originating
      in the UK include WebbIE, a text based web browser, and
      Accessible Podcatcher, which enables you to listen to podcasts and
      works well with screen readers (even Narrator!). In the same ball
      park is Accessible RSS that lets you read RSS news feeds.

      These other programs are available from the Downloads page at
      http://www.webbie.org.uk/

      Good wishes
      Vince
    • BruceHP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
        In a message dated 8/4/2006 1:45:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        vince@... writes:

        >The program, called Thunder, is available from
        >http://www.screenreader.net

        NetCraft couldn't verity this site, is it legit? Thanks!

      • Frank Siedlaczek
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
          > >The program, called Thunder, is available from
          > >http://www.screenreader.net
          >
          > NetCraft couldn't verity this site, is it legit? Thanks!

          How should *we* know? But of course it's always a good idea to backup your whole system and data files before trying out any new software... ;-)
          I don't think it's the first accessiblity virus... really ... no...

          Domain Name: SCREENREADER.NET
          Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
          Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
          Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com
          Name Server: NS45.1AND1.CO.UK
          Name Server: NS46.1AND1.CO.UK
          Updated Date: 04-jul-2006
          Creation Date: 24-aug-2004
          Expiration Date: 24-aug-2011

          BTW: I am not paranoid! But that doesn't mean that they're not after me! :-)))

          Regards
          Frank

        • Vince Thacker
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
            I see from google searches that some people are aski8ng the same thing about Netcraft! And I must admit I've never heard of it until I saw your message.

            Yes, to the best of my belief, the screenreader.net site it perfectly legit. The software was launched at the recent Sight Village tech show in Birmingham UK, which is a very public forum for assistive technology developers and customers.

            Vince.

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
              Sorry, I find this message hard to follow. What virus are you referring to? If there's any question of that I'd be the first to raise it with the web site owners, but I've not been aware of such a problem.

              Vince.

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                Vince Thacker wrote:

                >Sorry, I find this message hard to follow. What virus are you referring to? If there's any question of that I'd be the first to raise it with the web site owners, but I've not been aware of such a problem.

                Never mind. I was just kidding about Bruce's scepticism. I am not a
                native speaker - maybe that's the reason... Or different kinds of
                humor... Anyway... :-)

                Regards
                Frank
              • BruceHP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                  In a message dated 8/4/2006 2:14:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  vince@... writes:

                  >I see from google searches that some people are aski8ng the same thing
                  about Netcraft! And I must admit I've never heard of it until I saw your message.

                  Yes, to the best of my belief, the screenreader.net site it perfectly legit.
                  The software was launched at the recent Sight Village tech show in
                  Birmingham UK, which is a very public forum for assistive technology developers and
                  customers.

                  >Vince

                  Thanks, Vince!

                • TONY CRETNEY
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
                    As I understand it, Thunder is produced by the same U.K. Company that turns out a cheep Screen Reader called Look Out. I know nothing about the programme itself as I have not tried it as yet, and in fact doubt that I will be doing so. I am well satisfied with Zoom Text and already have Supernova as an extra magnification and screen reading system. With those two I should have few or no problems in the future.

                    Tony

                    vince@... writes:

                    >The program, called Thunder, is available from
                    >http://www.screenreader.net

                    NetCraft couldn't verity this site, is it legit? Thanks!

                    This email has been scanned by the Manxnet Mail Plus anti-virus system.
                    http://www.manx.net/mailplus

                  • Vince Thacker
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
                      I believe you're right - Lookout was a kind of predecessor to Thunder.

                      Presumably Thunder is not intended for anyone who's already set up with mainstream accessibility software - I imagine it could be used more by epople who are just starting to have problems reading the screen or who are not going to cope with the complexity of something like HAL.

                      Vince.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 6, 2006

                      • YBGood89@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
                          I;m not aware of any virus. I am interested in a screen magnifier called
                          "look Out". Any suggestions?

                        • Verhoeven, Peter
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
                            The free screen reader Thunder, has nothing to do with viruses.
                            But you can find information about Lookout at
                            http://www.screenreader.co.uk

                            Peter Verhoeven

                            > I;m not aware of any virus. I am interested in a screen
                            > magnifier called "look Out". Any suggestions?

                            This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
                            If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
                            If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a "reply" message.
                            Thank you for your cooperation.
                          • TONY CRETNEY
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                              Up to a few months ago you could find information on Look Out at screnreader.co.uk/ but now think their site is screenreader.net

                              Tony

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                                Lookout Screenreader can be found here:-
                                http://www.screenreader.co.uk/products/lookout.htm

                                Looking at the list of features, it does look pretty much like Thunder, which I believe emerged from Lookout.

                                Vince.