Re: [magnifiers] MS: Vista Most Accessible Windows Ever

  • Pete Nalda
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 10, 2006
      On Jun 8, 2006, at 12:24 AM, Katey Glass wrote:

      > Are you using Tiger? By apple??
      Yeah I'm on tiger. 10.4.6 as a matter of fact. Now, I've said this
      before the zoom and voiceover features aren't perfect in that zoom
      has difficulty tracking in composing mail and voiceover won't work in
      iTunes, but these are minor. As for the cost thing let me list out
      what it cost just so people could compare. Keep in mind if you buy a
      Mac the OS is free. If you already have a mac it's $125. So, here's
      my system.

      Computer (G4 14" Ibook @ 1.42ghz 512mb ram/60 gb hd DVDrw/cdrw = $1299
      Cost of OS = 0
      Cost of Accessibility = 0

    • BruceHP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 10, 2006
        In a message dated 6/10/2006 9:55:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        lpnalda@... writes:

        >Computer (G4 14" Ibook @ 1.42ghz 512mb ram/60 gb hd DVDrw/cdrw = $1299
        Cost of OS = 0
        >Cost of Accessibility = 0

        Looks like you paid about $499 over the price of a PC version, but, of
        course, you did get a bunch of software and a pretty package. BTW, XP does have a
        Magnifier and speech.

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 10, 2006
          --- BruceHP@... wrote:

          > Looks like you paid about $499 over the price of a
          > PC version, but, of
          > course, you did get a bunch of software and a pretty
          > package. BTW, XP does have a
          > Magnifier and speech.

          Two quick points:

          1. Not only did he pay $499 to $699 over what a
          comparable PC laptop would cost (they're getting less
          expensive every couple months it seems), he also
          sacrificed a wider selection and also the availablity
          of software that's available on the PC only, or Mac
          software that most retail stores won't carry.

          I think that's one advantage PCs have over Macs.
          Unless you have an Apple store near you; good luck
          trying to find a halfway decent selection of Mac
          software in a retail store. They won't carry much
          because it just doesn't sell in high enough volume to
          make it worth the shelf space/investment. Apple was
          very wise to open up the retail chain. Speciality
          stores for specialty users.

          2. That's true that XP does have speech and a
          magnifier; but they're very bare-bones and not what
          most low vision or blind users really need to function
          well on a PC (In my opinion; of course).

          Thank god for all the companies who make screen
          readers and magnifiers so there's a wide selection of
          fantastic products out there for us. There are 4 or 5
          high quality magnifier programs; and at least 3 major
          screen reading programs for people to pick from.

          If Vista can include a magnifier that's along the
          lines of iZoom; a lot of people would be thrilled
          (including me!).

          -Paul.
        • BruceHP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 10, 2006
            In a message dated 6/10/2006 3:48:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            paulktf@... writes:

            I think that's one advantage PCs have over Macs.
            Unless you have an Apple store near you; good luck
            trying to find a halfway decent selection of Mac
            software in a retail store.

            Retail Store! I can't remember the last time I purchased any software in a
            Retail store, not to mention the fact that if you buy a Mac, you shouldn't
            need to buy much software.

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 15, 2006
              Can anyone suggest a low cost (free) backup program? I kept my backup
              discs handy and the fire destryed them and I lost everything.

              Helin88@...

            • Frank Siedlaczek
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 16, 2006
                > Can anyone suggest a low cost (free) backup program? I kept my backup
                > discs handy and the fire destryed them and I lost everything.

                Which OS are you using? Windows? If you don't want to do too sophisticated stuff, the backup program shipped with windows can be quite a good start. I think, on XP Home you can install it from your CD, in XP Pro it's already installed by default. ... If I remember correctly.

                Cu
                Frank

              • George
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 16, 2006
                  Yes, there is a backup in XP but the damn thing does not let the BU. files
                  directed to a CD. You can use Nero backup, I think there are a free edition.
                  George