Re: [magnifiers] Apple Vs. Microsoft- built in magnifiers

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 8, 2006
      --- BruceHP@... wrote:

      > I'd try the local Library, don't Library's use
      > Macs?

      Our local library only uses PCs. Before that; they
      used dumb terminals for the computer catalog.

      -Paul.
    • Frank Siedlaczek
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 9, 2006
        > With all of the new Web-based apps I'm not sure you even need OO, try
        > ajaxwrite.com. The new Google spreadsheet should arrive soon.

        Thanx. No. I don't want Google to store and read all my personal data. This will definitely an issue later. Of course not with my data but guess how long it will take until the Bush Administration wants to get access to that.

        No really, I prefer local storage ;-)

        Greeeeets
        Frank

      • Pete Nalda
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 10, 2006
          On Jun 8, 2006, at 12:24 AM, Katey Glass wrote:

          > Are you using Tiger? By apple??
          Yeah I'm on tiger. 10.4.6 as a matter of fact. Now, I've said this
          before the zoom and voiceover features aren't perfect in that zoom
          has difficulty tracking in composing mail and voiceover won't work in
          iTunes, but these are minor. As for the cost thing let me list out
          what it cost just so people could compare. Keep in mind if you buy a
          Mac the OS is free. If you already have a mac it's $125. So, here's
          my system.

          Computer (G4 14" Ibook @ 1.42ghz 512mb ram/60 gb hd DVDrw/cdrw = $1299
          Cost of OS = 0
          Cost of Accessibility = 0

        • BruceHP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 10, 2006
            In a message dated 6/10/2006 9:55:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            lpnalda@... writes:

            >Computer (G4 14" Ibook @ 1.42ghz 512mb ram/60 gb hd DVDrw/cdrw = $1299
            Cost of OS = 0
            >Cost of Accessibility = 0

            Looks like you paid about $499 over the price of a PC version, but, of
            course, you did get a bunch of software and a pretty package. BTW, XP does have a
            Magnifier and speech.

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 10, 2006
              --- BruceHP@... wrote:

              > Looks like you paid about $499 over the price of a
              > PC version, but, of
              > course, you did get a bunch of software and a pretty
              > package. BTW, XP does have a
              > Magnifier and speech.

              Two quick points:

              1. Not only did he pay $499 to $699 over what a
              comparable PC laptop would cost (they're getting less
              expensive every couple months it seems), he also
              sacrificed a wider selection and also the availablity
              of software that's available on the PC only, or Mac
              software that most retail stores won't carry.

              I think that's one advantage PCs have over Macs.
              Unless you have an Apple store near you; good luck
              trying to find a halfway decent selection of Mac
              software in a retail store. They won't carry much
              because it just doesn't sell in high enough volume to
              make it worth the shelf space/investment. Apple was
              very wise to open up the retail chain. Speciality
              stores for specialty users.

              2. That's true that XP does have speech and a
              magnifier; but they're very bare-bones and not what
              most low vision or blind users really need to function
              well on a PC (In my opinion; of course).

              Thank god for all the companies who make screen
              readers and magnifiers so there's a wide selection of
              fantastic products out there for us. There are 4 or 5
              high quality magnifier programs; and at least 3 major
              screen reading programs for people to pick from.

              If Vista can include a magnifier that's along the
              lines of iZoom; a lot of people would be thrilled
              (including me!).

              -Paul.
            • BruceHP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 10, 2006
                In a message dated 6/10/2006 3:48:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                paulktf@... writes:

                I think that's one advantage PCs have over Macs.
                Unless you have an Apple store near you; good luck
                trying to find a halfway decent selection of Mac
                software in a retail store.

                Retail Store! I can't remember the last time I purchased any software in a
                Retail store, not to mention the fact that if you buy a Mac, you shouldn't
                need to buy much software.

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 15, 2006
                  Can anyone suggest a low cost (free) backup program? I kept my backup
                  discs handy and the fire destryed them and I lost everything.

                  Helin88@...

                • Frank Siedlaczek
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 16, 2006
                    > Can anyone suggest a low cost (free) backup program? I kept my backup
                    > discs handy and the fire destryed them and I lost everything.

                    Which OS are you using? Windows? If you don't want to do too sophisticated stuff, the backup program shipped with windows can be quite a good start. I think, on XP Home you can install it from your CD, in XP Pro it's already installed by default. ... If I remember correctly.

                    Cu
                    Frank

                  • George
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 16, 2006
                      Yes, there is a backup in XP but the damn thing does not let the BU. files
                      directed to a CD. You can use Nero backup, I think there are a free edition.
                      George