Focus on Screen Magnification, Zoomtext 9 and Lunarplus 6.5 Reviewed

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006

      In the March number of AccessWorld you can read a review of Zoomtext 9 and Lunarplus 6.5.
      The conclusions in this review are far from objective.

      Click below for the full story!
      http://magnifiers.org/news.php?action=fullnews&id=164
    • Shawn Warren
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
        Couple of points about AccessWorld's review of ZoomText:

        1.) It was noted that the NeoSpeech rate could not be changed while
        reading in DocReader. A fix for this will be rolled out in free
        maintenance release which is coming soon.

        2.) Included in one response to the review is the statement "You need
        access to the Internet to run it on a computer." This is not true.

        Regards,
        Shawn

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
          Hi Shawn,

          If you don't have access to Internet and want to activate Zoomtext on a new
          computer, this not seems to be possible wihout an activation code, so
          connection to the Internet is neede.

          Alternatively users can call AiSquared, but that is no option for most
          people outside the USA.

          Zoomtext does not offer flexibility for people often changing computers,
          because of the activation policy, that is my point.

          So your comment sounds very strange to me, like I tell people nonsence. I
          discussed this with Doug Hacker several month ago by phone. In my opinion a
          screen magnifier is a personal equipment, like eye lenses. You don't use
          other glasses and lenses on seperate computers.

          I understand the need of AiSquared to protect their software against ilegal
          use, but the activation solution chosen by AiSquared is very user
          unfriendly.

          Peter Verhoeven
          magnifiers.org

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
            ZoomText dealers have been setup to assist anyone (with & without
            internet connection) to get ZoomText up and running for 3 years and have
            been successfully doing this.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
              What do you mean by that?
              I never want to be dependent from a dealer!

              People who want a lot of flexibility and have to access multiple computers
              can better not purchase Zoomtext, is that what you mean now?

              Peter Verhoeven
              magnifiers.org

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
                Dear list,

                The weakness of Ai^2's business model is its distribution channel. The local
                dealer of Ai^2 in The Netherlands (Tieman) does not add any value to its
                products. Tieman is only good in saying "No, this product is not in stock
                and we don't know when it will be available"... I rather buy directly from
                Ai^2.

                Kind regards,
                Bas

              • Russell Green
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
                  With respect to support and copy protection what are the differences between
                  Lunar and Zoomtext for international customers? With Zoomtext you have to
                  buy/upgrade through the local dealer which adds an exorbitant extra cost to
                  the already high price and I found that they refer support questions to
                  AI2. Better to deal direct. Does Dolphin require you to buy from local
                  dealers and charge international customers more?

                  Apart from the high price of the international upgrades the main
                  dissatisfaction I have with Zoomtext is the copy protection which has been
                  the major cause of problems and frustrations using it. For these reasons I
                  decided not to upgrade to version 9 and to find a more user friendly
                  product.

                  Russell

                  On 4/28/06, Shawn Warren <swarren@...> wrote:

                  > ZoomText dealers have been setup to assist anyone (with & without
                  > internet connection) to get ZoomText up and running for 3 years and have
                  > been successfully doing this.
                  >

                  > Shawn

                • George
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
                    Hi
                    I tried to explain Doug, a while ago the crazy distribution system but looks
                    like this subject is a "no no" at AiSq. Doug never answered my letter and
                    here in Australia this dealer handling is for upgrade, beside the "Not in
                    stock" and we have to order each upgrade separately, and that about 3-4
                    weeks waiting, no technical help from there at all, just unexplained
                    ridiculus price. We have to distributor in Australia, both in Sydney and
                    this country is enormously large. So even if the dealers want to give any
                    advise, that would be only the phone, and the "free call" is only in the
                    dream. Now here is the "punch-line" the price difference between the two
                    dealers are US$ 70.00. I can purchase any software online and if I need the
                    CD send to me it is only a small extra charge, and the book is nice to look
                    at it, but, remember, the buyer is visually impaired, so I have to download
                    the manual to be able to read it.
                    George