Re: [magnifiers] Ergonomics

  • Stan Dyser
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2006
      This of course presumes that the individual will never learn to type and will be
      looking at the keyboard forever; rather rare. I have only found this in
      individuals with fine motor skill limitations that required them to individually
      target keys. I agree completely that placement is a critical factor and using a
      height and negative tilt adjustable keyboard tray on any workstation is
      recommended.

      Having large print keys on an ergonomic keyboard in no way detracts from the
      utility of the keyboard and may in fact encourage its use by aiding in the
      transition from a standard keyboard. The utility of large print on any
      keyboard is hopefully transitory, and should only be an aid to learning the
      keyboard; however, the correct placement and choosing the correct ergonomic
      keyboard for the individual, and there are quite a few to choose from, has an
      impact both on their ability to improve their keyboarding skills and in
      avoiding the negative effects of using a standard keyboard.

      To refocus on the ZoomText keyboard, its advantage seems to lie in the built-in
      ZoomText commands, not that it also happens to have large print keys; the
      commands could just as easily have been added to a keyboard with an ergonomic
      design.

      Stan

      Quoting BruceHP@...:

      In a message dated 3/14/2006 1:50:37 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      sdyser@... writes:

      >The link below provides some easy reading for those interested in the
      ergonomics
      of keyboarding. Whether you take the view that human factors engineering and
      ergonomics is an "advertising gimmick" or believe it is an accepted science
      is
      entirely up to you. I will note however that there is a rather substantial
      difference between a computer keyboard and a piano, and based on the idea
      that
      something has worked in the past and thus should not be changed leads me to
      wonder why we are not living in caves with a life expectancy in the early
      >twenties.

      I believe in the science of ergonomics, but this also includes the
      placement of the keyboard. If your keyboard is much above your waist when
      sitting,
      the type of keyboard won't help much.

      A large print keyboard is not made for someone that can type, it's made for
      someone that can't type, therefore an ergonomic large print keyboard is an
      advertising gimmick.

    • Frank Siedlaczek
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2006
        Stan Dyser wrote:

        >To refocus on the ZoomText keyboard, its advantage seems to lie in the built-in
        >ZoomText commands, not that it also happens to have large print keys; the
        >commands could just as easily have been added to a keyboard with an ergonomic
        >design.

        Agree. And I think, I'd rather buy a normal keyboard with a lot of
        programmable keys than buy a keyboard which presumably cannot be
        reprogrammed. Those direct access keys are nice. But how often do I need
        to access a special rarely used ZT function? I'd love to be able to at
        least reassign the features and function by software and even assign my
        own commands and functions to the keys. Hopefully, the keyboard will
        allow users to do that as well.

        Frank
      • BruceHP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15, 2006
          In a message dated 3/15/2006 4:38:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          siedlaczek@... writes:

          >I'd love to be able to at
          >least reassign the features and function by software and even assign my
          >own commands and functions to the keys.

          Can't you do this with any keyboard?