Magnifier with horizontal screen scrolling...

  • Andrey
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
      Hi All.
      I am new here.
      I need help.
      My wife father is a man with very low vision skills.
      He does not want use glasses with computer. He says his eyes tire.
      I try to use several software magnifiers, but all of them reduce
      visible area of the screen.
      A few years ago I had video card (I do not remember which). And its
      driver could enlarge screen to virtual screen up to 4 times. I could
      scroll screen vertically and horizontally.
      I think if there is the same magnifier, it will be useful for my wife
      father.
      Could anybody help me?

      Thank you
      Andrey
      ICQ 15741111
    • Ed Aziz
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
        Hi Andrey
        I have not seen that one, but I get somewqhat that affecxt by using dsual monitors with W@in XP
        magnifier up to 10X on the second screen, I have macular d3egeneration in both eyes and this works quite well for me.
        Ed

        Andrey <andrey.kuzmin@...> wrote: Hi All.
        I am new here.
        I need help.
        My wife father is a man with very low vision skills.
        He does not want use glasses with computer. He says his eyes tire.
        I try to use several software magnifiers, but all of them reduce
        visible area of the screen.
        A few years ago I had video card (I do not remember which). And its
        driver could enlarge screen to virtual screen up to 4 times. I could
        scroll screen vertically and horizontally.
        I think if there is the same magnifier, it will be useful for my wife
        father.
        Could anybody help me?

        Thank you
        Andrey
        ICQ 15741111

        Screen magnifier Low vision Communication and networking

        ---------------------------------

      • Joe
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
          The video card that you are referring to is probably
          from Matrox. If
          the highest magnification that you need is 4X, I have
          found these to
          be a good solution. I uses several of the older Matrox
          G450's, which
          are also capable of dualhead output. I bought them,
          used, for $20
          each. The magnification software for these cards is
          called DeskNav.
          Matrox has newer versions, but they are much more
          expensive. I also
          use Zoomtext 8.0, but I was/am not happy with the high
          CPU usage,
          especially on older computers.

          My wife father is a man with very low vision skills.
          He does not want use glasses with computer. He says
          his eyes tire.
          I try to use several software magnifiers, but all of
          them reduce
          visible area of the screen.
          A few years ago I had video card (I do not remember
          which). And its
          driver could enlarge screen to virtual screen up to 4
          times. I could
          scroll screen vertically and horizontally.
          I think if there is the same magnifier, it will be
          useful for my wife
          father.
          Could anybody help me?

          Thank you
          Andrey
          ICQ 15741111

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Emilia Belserene
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
            Hello Audrey -

            I have learned to accept the fact that higher magnification always means a
            smaller field of view. This is true with hand-held magnifiers as well as
            with computers. I do have a good way to read text on computers. It might
            work for your wife's father.

            My solution is to use an old screen-magnification program. I have
            ZoomText version 7.11, the only old version that works under XP I use the
            DocReader feature in Prompter mode. It makes the text lines fit the screen
            by showing fewer words per line. You don't have to scroll from left to
            right. Best of all the text scrolls upward smoothly and automatically! It
            isn't hard to set the magnification and speed to fit your needs. Then just
            sit back and read text in comfort.

            Maybe it is still possible to get version 7 somewhere. The prompter mode
            of DocReader in the newer versions is somewhat useful but it does not
            scroll. I get tired when I have to use a computer running version 8.

            - Emilia
            = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
            At 04:21 PM 2/8/2006 +0000, Audrey wrote:
            >Hi All.
            >I am new here.
            >I need help.
            >My wife father is a man with very low vision skills.
            >He does not want use glasses with computer. He says his eyes tire.
            >I try to use several software magnifiers, but all of them reduce
            >visible area of the screen.
            >A few years ago I had video card (I do not remember which). And its
            >driver could enlarge screen to virtual screen up to 4 times. I could
            >scroll screen vertically and horizontally.
            >I think if there is the same magnifier, it will be useful for my wife
            >father.
            >Could anybody help me?
            >
            >Thank you
            >Andrey
            >ICQ 15741111

            >Make It Visible!
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Andrey
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
              Hi All!
              Thank You for your opinions and advices.
              Joe: I really do not remember about Matrox.. may be..
              Emilia Belserene: Thank you for ZoomText ...
              I seeks it info by Google and finally I found the soft I need. :-)
              It calls BigShot Magnifier:
              http://www.aisquared.com/Products/BigShot/BSFeatures/BSFeatures.cfm

              It's max zoom level is only 200%, but I used WinXP ExtraLarge fonts
              theme and it is great

              Thank You All
              Andrey
              ------------------------------
              Have time to waste? Get Microsoft Windows... (Joke)
            • BruceHP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
                In a message dated 2/9/2006 1:24:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                emiliab@... writes:

                My solution is to use an old screen-magnification program. I have
                ZoomText version 7.11, the only old version that works under XP I use the
                DocReader feature in Prompter mode. It makes the text lines fit the screen
                by showing fewer words per line. You don't have to scroll from left to
                right. Best of all the text scrolls upward smoothly and automatically! It
                isn't hard to set the magnification and speed to fit your needs. Then just
                sit back and read text in comfort.

                Maybe it is still possible to get version 7 somewhere. The prompter mode
                of DocReader in the newer versions is somewhat useful but it does not
                scroll. I get tired when I have to use a computer running version 8.

                The Prompter mode of versions 8.x & 9.x will show all of the words of a
                document magnified and at the same location on the screen. There is no need for
                the old version.

                Of course, with DocReader you don't really need to read the text.

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
                  On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:03:55 -0000, "Andrey"
                  <andrey.kuzmin@...> wrote:

                  >Hi All!
                  >Thank You for your opinions and advices.
                  >Joe: I really do not remember about Matrox.. may be..
                  >Emilia Belserene: Thank you for ZoomText ...
                  >I seeks it info by Google and finally I found the soft I need. :-)
                  >It calls BigShot Magnifier:
                  >http://www.aisquared.com/Products/BigShot/BSFeatures/BSFeatures.cfm
                  >
                  >It's max zoom level is only 200%, but I used WinXP ExtraLarge fonts
                  >theme and it is great
                  >
                  >Thank You All
                  >Andrey

                  I think ZoomText might better suit your needs; but if BigShot works for
                  you, that's great. :)

                  -Paul.
                • Emilia Belserene
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 10, 2006
                    At 05:33 PM 2/9/2006 -0500, Bruce wrote:

                    >Of course, with DocReader you don't really need to read the text.
                    Some people really do. Have you forgotten the hearing impaired? Screen
                    magnification is for the visually impaired. Like ordinary magnifying
                    glasses it should not require the user to listen. "Read" does not just
                    mean to read aloud. Perhaps "DocReader" should be renamed
                    "DocFormatter." Then AiSquared would think to restore its formerly
                    excellent formatting capabilities.
                    - Emilia

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 10, 2006
                      On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:07:34 -0800, Emilia Belserene
                      <emiliab@...> wrote:

                      >At 05:33 PM 2/9/2006 -0500, Bruce wrote:
                      >>
                      >>Of course, with DocReader you don't really need to read the text.
                      >Some people really do. Have you forgotten the hearing impaired? Screen
                      >magnification is for the visually impaired. Like ordinary magnifying
                      >glasses it should not require the user to listen. "Read" does not just
                      >mean to read aloud. Perhaps "DocReader" should be renamed
                      >"DocFormatter." Then AiSquared would think to restore its formerly
                      >excellent formatting capabilities.
                      > - Emilia

                      DocReader is meant to be used in conjunction with the speech. That's why
                      it's called DocReader, after all. :) You can follow along using any of
                      the Highlight options if you want.

                      -Paul.
                    • Emilia Belserene
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 10, 2006
                        At 12:14 PM 2/10/2006 -0600, Paul wrote:
                        >DocReader is meant to be used in conjunction with the speech. That's why
                        >it's called DocReader, after all. :)
                        Come off it, Paul! The first definition of "read" in the unabridged is "1
                        a (1) : to look at or otherwise scan (as letters or other symbols
                        representing words or sentences) with mental formulation of the words or
                        sentences represented <reading books> <reading inscriptions>"
                        What was it that we learned to do when we started elementary school?
                        > You can follow along using any of
                        >the Highlight options if you want.
                        And they are all poor compared with the legacy versions of ZoomText Level
                        1. Wasn't it called DocReader even though there was no speech involved?

                        I was (silently) reading my favorite newspaper, no hands on the keyboard,
                        just sitting back as the old DocReader's prompter mode scrolled the text
                        silently upward (just like a TelePrompTer). Someone with normal vision
                        caught sight of the screen and exclaimed "Oh, that's good!" Those folks in
                        Vermont seem not to realize that they are leaving a gem out of their product.