Re: [magnifiers] magnifiers for Mobile Phone

  • MagnificsInc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 7, 2005
      The Phone Monocle also has an accessory called Merlins window, It is a 3/8
      inch spacer that you incert under the Phone monocle to increase magnification up
      to 4 times.
      It also has a anti-reflective lens called Merlins Crystal. this is for
      persons that are sensitive to glare and photophobic. sensitive to lights.

      Joanie Taylor CEO
      Magnific's Inc.
      2631 Mayfield Ave.
      La Crescenta, CA 91214
      Bus. 818-248-2228
      Fax. 818-248-1449 www.thephonemonocle.com
      magnificsinc@...

    • phelan
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 11, 2005
        Aloha Quentin
        Check out the Nokia 6620.
        It is a blind persons dream come true.
        It cost more however you already have a Nokia so you would just be upgrading
        your phone.
        The software is about $200.00 and Singular can get it for you. There is a
        rebate also and some of the features are:
        . It's audio
        . Reads the menu.
        . Not only does it have a contact list.
        . It has a calendar so you can keep track of appointments too.
        . You can do text messaging , surf the net.
        . Has blue tooth option.
        The software reminds me of Jaws.
        The blue tooth ear piece is really cool your phone can be about 30 feet away
        and you can receive phone calls no problem. Only you hear the phone ring and
        the party on the other end.
        . It has caller I D.
        My friend has one and when my Verizon contract comes to a end I am getting
        one too.
        Now we can do anything a sighted person can do with their cell.
        For some reason you must provide some kind of proof you are legally blind.
        My friend showed his membership card of a Blind organization he belong to.
        Much Aloha,This phone is made only for the blind.
        Most likely by now they have upgraded it.
        Don't be surprise if the sales person has not been informed yet because over
        here so far only one person was awear of it out of three other Singular
        sites.
        Good Luck to you.
        Landa

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 14, 2005
          HI ALL

          I'VE AN ESCHENBACH MAGNIFIER ( 5 POWER, 4" DIAM., BLACK )
          WITH A STRING. THE MAG IS HAGGING DOWN FROM MY NECK ALL DAY
          LONG. IT REALLY WORKS GREAT. IT'S QUICK AND EASY..
          I GET COMMENTS ON THIS ALL THE TIME FROM STRANGERS AND FRIENDS
          MOST PEOPLE THINK IS COOL..

          REGARD,
          MARCEL

        • MagnificsInc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 16, 2005
            Quentin,

            I had the meeting. I am going to need 10 people to do a trial 1 month
            period.

            this program is pretty cool. It includes many things.

            Basically a personal assistant.
            reads emails and web pages and books,
            when it reads your emails you can respond by simply saying reply, call , fax
            or take a message. Your personal assistant screens your calls and is
            available 24/7. You can respond via Internet, cell phone , home phone or any phone
            anywhere. your personal assistant call anyone anywhere via phone, computer,
            cell phone or home phone.

            you can tell your assistant what to email and she will type it, or send a
            wave file. with this you get an link that when the receiver wants to respond,
            they click on it and it calls you directly. I will have all information in
            the next day or so. Probably by Monday for sure.

            This is a test to see how well this will work for vision impaired and blind.

            The 10 persons chosen will receive an account, phone,number and will be
            asked for 10 most called persons with emails and other contact #s. The program
            will be set up for them to use and evaluate for 1 month. This program will be
            main stream in about 3-5 months, if not sooner.
            We are keeping the name non public until the testing is complete.

            Im going to ask for 2-3 persons from a few groups.

            Let me know.
            Joanie,
            951-538-4704

          • poohbear120042001
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 16, 2005
              where can i get magnifier for mobile phone? or is there one out there?

              --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, MARCEL440@C... wrote:

              > HI ALL
              >
              > I'VE AN ESCHENBACH MAGNIFIER ( 5 POWER, 4" DIAM., BLACK )
              > WITH A STRING. THE MAG IS HAGGING DOWN FROM MY NECK ALL DAY
              > LONG. IT REALLY WORKS GREAT. IT'S QUICK AND EASY..
              > I GET COMMENTS ON THIS ALL THE TIME FROM STRANGERS AND FRIENDS
              > MOST PEOPLE THINK IS COOL..
              >
              > REGARD,
              > MARCEL

            • E K
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 16, 2005
                I"m interest to help with the testing. It sound very good and really could make my life easyer if that is what it does.

                MagnificsInc@... wrote: Quentin,

[...]

                ---------------------------------

              • Verhoeven, Peter
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 16, 2005

                  For a software based magnifier for some Nokia's see
                  http://www.codefactory.es/mobile_magnifier/mmagnifier.htm.
                  For a device, that you can attach to your mobile phone )magnification2x)
                  see http://magnificsinc.com/.

                  Or visit
                  http://www.magnifiers.org/links/Screen_Magnifiers/Mobile_Phones/

                  Regards Peter Verhoeven

                  This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
                  If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
                  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a "reply" message.
                  Thank you for your cooperation.
                • MagnificsInc@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 17, 2005
                    www.thephonemonocle.com
                    Cell Phone Magnifiers, The Phone monocle. magnifies screen displays 2-4 xs.
                    Works on cell phones, home phones, ipods , insulin pumps and many many more
                    small handheld devices.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 17, 2005
                      Hi Joanie,

                      Does it also work on Garmin GPS devices like the Garmin Quest?

                    • MagnificsInc@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 17, 2005
                        yes it does. If the screen is longer than wide or wider than long, just
                        rotate the magnifying lens in the holder. simple to use. easy to see.

                        Joanie Taylor CEO
                        Magnific's Inc.
                        2631 Mayfield Ave.
                        La Crescenta, CA 91214
                        Bus. 818-248-2228
                        Fax. 818-248-1449 www.thephonemonocle.com
                        magnificsinc@...

                      • Anthony Slate
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 17, 2005
                          Did you have a date on if you are having the convention I can do it for you
                          remember we talked about it couple months ago. Would you like my help would
                          be very interested

                        • jaterjo@earthlink.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 18, 2005
                            I found this email very interesting - I have one question, is there a cell phone designed for a person with macular degeneration that would help in dialing phone numbers? The cell phones are so small it is difficult to dial on them. Any input would be appreciated - thank you.

                            Jaterjo Theresa----- Original Message -----
                            For a software based magnifier for some Nokia's see
                            http://www.codefactory.es/mobile_magnifier/mmagnifier.htm.
                            For a device, that you can attach to your mobile phone )magnification2x)
                            see http://magnificsinc.com/.

                            Or visit
                            http://www.magnifiers.org/links/Screen_Magnifiers/Mobile_Phones/

                            Regards Peter Verhoeven

                          • Quentin Christensen
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 19, 2005
                              Hi Jaterjo, everyone,

                              When you say you want a phone that would help in dialing numbers, do you want a phone which displays the number you press large on the screen, or has larger, easy to find (the right one) buttons?

                              There are a couple of phones around (and I don't know their models) which have quite large numbers come up on the screen as you dial a number in, unfortunately they still have really small displays for things like SMS's.

                              I think I just answered my next question - I was going to ask if anyone has seen the new Vodafone phone which is very basic and pretty much only makes / recieves calls and SMS's - designed especially for older people, I thought it would be crazy if that phone didn't have a large display (and really, who needs a camera or a TV on their phone to begin with?)...

                              I did a search though because I couldn't remember the model, and I came up with this site:
                              http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000487044074

                              The phone doesn't look so good there :( Not only is the writing miniscule, but it looks no less complicated than any other phone around - just how many buttons do you need to make calls and SMS? (the complicated aspect doesn't bother me really, I could learn to use anything if I could only see it :)

                              Regards

                              Quentin.

                            • BruceHP@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 20, 2005
                                In a message dated 11/20/2005 6:18:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                chrisqu@... writes:

                                When you say you want a phone that would help in dialing numbers, do you
                                want a phone which displays the number you press large on the screen, or has
                                larger, easy to find (the right one) buttons?

                                Why not get a phone that has Voice activated dialing?

                              • Moises Lejter
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 20, 2005
                                  BruceHP@... wrote:

                                  >Why not get a phone that has Voice activated dialing?

                                  I looked into this once before. At the time, I don't remember seeing
                                  any phones that would actually just dial the numbers spoken to them.
                                  By "Voice-Activated Dial", the phones seemed to mean: "once you program
                                  a phone number into the unit, and save a one/two-word phrase in your own
                                  voice associated with that number, the phone will dial that number upon
                                  hearing the same phrase again." The programming of the number/voice
                                  code into the phone could not be done by a blind person - which to my
                                  mind kind of defeated (part of) the purpose...

                                  I did not look into it totally thoroughly, as my dad decided he did not
                                  need a phone, after all...

                                  Moises
                                • BruceHP@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 20, 2005
                                    In a message dated 11/20/2005 8:56:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                    moilejter@... writes:

                                    The programming of the number/voice
                                    code into the phone could not be done by a blind person - which to my
                                    mind kind of defeated (part of) the purpose...

                                    I did not look into it totally thoroughly, as my dad decided he did not
                                    need a phone, after all...

                                    Moises

                                    Why not help him program the numbers, then he could use the phone.

                                  • Moises Lejter
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 20, 2005
                                      BruceHP@... wrote:

                                      >Why not help him program the numbers, then he could use the phone.

                                      Well, yes, we would have ended up doing something like that...
                                      But, if the idea is to be self-sufficient, then a device that requires
                                      that one ask someone else for help is not going to cut it...

                                      Moises
                                    • Kathy Seven Williams
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 20, 2005
                                        My SPRINT phone I had a couple years back did both voice dialing by speaking
                                        the numbers and dialing by speaking the name after programming. THe
                                        programming was totally accessible both at the phone and by going online and
                                        using their online program to do so )which had an addition al charge so I
                                        never used that option.)
                                      • jaterjo@earthlink.net
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 20, 2005
                                          I thank you for your reply, this is not just for me, but for my sister who is technically considered legally blind. She has a hard time dialing the numbers on the keypad and even thou her son-in-law has family members keyed in for her, she still has a hard time distinguishing the numbers, even by feeling because they are so small. Is there a simple easy cell phone out there that makes the numbers larger and easier to feel for dialing. I hope I explained myself clearly for you, and do appreciate any assistance you can give me. Thank you,
                                          Theresa
                                          Jaterjo

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 20, 2005
                                            I agree with Bruce. Your dad would be self sufficient once you set the phone up for him. That makes sense to me. This way he could make calls at his own leisure without bothering you.
                                            Jaterjo
                                            >Why not help him program the numbers, then he could use the phone.

                                            Well, yes, we would have ended up doing something like that...
                                            But, if the idea is to be self-sufficient, then a device that requires
                                            that one ask someone else for help is not going to cut it...

                                            Moises

                                          • Kathy Williams
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 20, 2005
                                              I guess it is important to determine just exactly what tasks need to be acoomplished with the cellular phone. We've talked about options with speaking software, with magnifiers, with phones made to dial as you speak and phones with easily distinguished buttons for easier dialing. All of these options can then be used with different services. So when you say you want a particular kind of phone, you need to be much more specific about just exactly what you want to do with it and how in order to get good recommendations.

                                              Some of the tasks you need to decide about are
                                              1. Do you want this as your primary telephone for all calls or just for emergencies?

                                              2. Do you want a contract service or prepaid service?

                                              3. If you want a contract service, which services do you already have that might offer this in conjunction with what you are already purchasing?

                                              4. Do you want other capabilities beyond phoning out?
                                              a incoming calls?
                                              b. voice messaging?
                                              c. text messaging?
                                              d. email?