Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 7.x Typing Echo feature questions

  • Frank Siedlaczek
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 5, 2005
      > Hi Frank,
      >
      > It only runs on low screen resolutions and I need a magnifier to change
      > resolution on a PC.

      Well I know this can be quite a hassle, but it can be done without even
      looking at the screen. One could even write an AutoIt automation script,
      compile that to an exe file and run it by hitting a certain key combination
      or whatever. The script could open the Display properties dialog for you,
      change the resolution and hit the OK button. You just sit and watch (or
      wait) :-)

      > I'm also a software developer, but restrict installation to servers, that
      > I can access remotely.

      Okay, if all your work can be done remotely, just the better. Can ZT cope
      with a remote desktop? Are there any restrictions or drawbacks to it?

      > There is need for a screen magnifier, that can be installed on a USB pen
      > or CD and that does not need any additional installation or admin
      > permissions.

      Absolutely!

      > I'm afraid the iZoom "spnsorware" concept does not work. I know more
      > companies tried this concept, but they all stopped with it.
      > To work with a magnifier, that only can magnify 0.00000000000001 % of
      > the Internet web pages is fustraing for the end user and never can be a
      > solution for our request for accessibility.

      I hope the best for their concept to work. But of course, it's really not
      sure whether it'll work.

      But still, when I have to install some software on a computer, I really do
      not need to access the internet at all. I can download necessary drivers
      using a different machine, then go to the machine that needs the software. I
      have never come accross an installation process l (e.g. Oracle or thelike)
      where I need to access the internet while installing the product.

      IZoom is not the product to go for when you want to surf the web. But for me
      sometimes it's just the right (and free!) thing to use. Nothing luxurious,
      but it works.

      > Companies like AiSquared with their latest versions of ZoomText are not
      > willing to work on such solutions. Instead they come with an old and
      > highly inaccessible activation model, like all low vision people are
      > software pirates. If fighting software piracy is the most important
      mission,
      > they realy have to ask themselves how they see the future and what they
      > think accessibility means.

      This activation thing is raging in the software industry. I hate it. If I
      buy the product legally I don't want to be bothered with these licensing
      plans and restrictions. I just want to use the product on as many machines
      as I like. One at a time! Is this really asked too much??? As I am the only
      person with visual impairments here at the company, who of my colleagues
      would even think about starting up "my" magnifier to use it and thereby
      violating the liscense agreements ? No one! So why do they put such stuff
      into it to prevent people to start up two or more copies of the magnifier on
      a network simultaneously? I can only sit in front of one computer at a time.
      I CAN'T cheat on them that way. I just want to use the product whereever I
      am.

      > It is time Microsft is doing realy something tom make their software
      > accessible to everybody!

      Microsoft should improve their narrator and magnifier software! Like this,
      we'd have a magnifier/screen reader readily available on each and every
      machine we happen to work with. Why on earth can Apple integrate a magnifier
      into their operating system whereas M$ can not? I know this would harm
      companies like AI2's business. But ... come on... AI2 (they just serve as an
      example here) would then have to improve their product to make it more
      useful than MS's basic magnifier and people would still buy it if they are
      convinced that they get something on top of MS's functionality.
      But at the moment, MS's magnifier is not a complete product. It is lacking a
      'full view' mode. If they provided this 'full view', most of our problems
      would be solved at once.

      Best regards
      Frank

      +++ GMX - die erste Adresse f�r Mail, Message, More +++
    • Verhoeven, Peter
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 5, 2005
        Hi Frank,

        > > I'm also a software developer, but restrict installation to
        > servers,
        > > that I can access remotely.
        >
        > Okay, if all your work can be done remotely, just the better.
        > Can ZT cope with a remote desktop? Are there any restrictions
        > or drawbacks to it?

        I'm not using Zoomtext, but Supernova from Dolphin. I'm using Remote
        Desktop Connection to connect to Windows servers and Hummingbird Telnet
        to access UNIX servers.
        Magnification in Telnet sessions work fine, like it does in Zoomtext.
        Remote Desktop Connection give me only a magnifcaiton, not any tracking.
        So I only use it for installations. If I have to edit files on the
        server I ask our network admins to let me make a share to the server.

        All Dolphin products support Windows Terminal Server and Citrix terminal
        server, but you have also instaall software on the server itself. That
        works if you only have to access one server, but not to access dozens,
        like I have to do.

        > IZoom is not the product to go for when you want to surf the
        > web. But for me sometimes it's just the right (and free!)
        > thing to use. Nothing luxurious, but it works.

        Yes, I understand. My point was, that there is realy the need for a low
        cost or free magnifier, that also work on the Internet.
        I get a lot of questions at magnifiers.org for a low cost solution.
        I hope a low cost version, without Internet restriction, of iZoom
        become available soon.
        Last 6 month I'd heard nothing about iZoom. Also questions about how
        much web sites have to pay for supporting iZoom are not answered.

        I also heard stories from companies like beam Romenia, that companies
        like AiSquared, Dolphin and Freedom Scientific make it nearly impossible
        to come with low-cost solutions.
        Beam is now doing great work for the Gnopernicus project
        http://www.baum.ro/gnopernicus.html.

        Beam Germany also has a screen magnifier for Windows NT/2000/XP with the
        name Galileo http://www.baum.de/e/products/galileo.php that comes with
        Virgo supporting braille and speech http://www.virgo4.com
        BTW: I can not find any price information so I'm afraid it is also
        expensive?

        I hope the same didn't happen with iZoom!

        > This activation thing is raging in the software industry. I
        > hate it. If I buy the product legally I don't want to be
        > bothered with these licensing plans and restrictions. I just
        > want to use the product on as many machines as I like. One at
        > a time! Is this really asked too much??? As I am the only
        > person with visual impairments here at the company, who of my
        > colleagues would even think about starting up "my" magnifier
        > to use it and thereby violating the liscense agreements ? No
        > one! So why do they put such stuff into it to prevent people
        > to start up two or more copies of the magnifier on a network
        > simultaneously? I can only sit in front of one computer at a time.
        > I CAN'T cheat on them that way. I just want to use the
        > product whereever I am.

        Agree! Accessibility means acess on any computer on any place. If an
        Adaptive Software product does not support this, or limit access, I can
        not serious mention that product an accessibility product.
        Don't let this be a new tendency in the Adaptive Technology industry.
        The only thing I can do is warning people for these products and advice
        them to find alternatives.

        > > It is time Microsft is doing realy something tom make their
        > software
        > > accessible to everybody!
        >
        > Microsoft should improve their narrator and magnifier
        > software! Like this, we'd have a magnifier/screen reader
        > readily available on each and every machine we happen to work
        > with. Why on earth can Apple integrate a magnifier into their
        > operating system whereas M$ can not?

        The answer is quiet simple, because section 508 in the USA and the fact
        that there is no professional screen magnifier /reader available for
        Apple's Mac after Alpha stopped further developement on inLarge and
        Outspoken.

        >I know this would harm
        > companies like AI2's business. But ... come on... AI2 (they
        > just serve as an example here) would then have to improve
        > their product to make it more useful than MS's basic
        > magnifier and people would still buy it if they are convinced
        > that they get something on top of MS's functionality.

        Microsoft can offer the best of them a job to make Microsoft realy
        accessible. Making the world accessible seems not to be the primary
        objective of those companies, but making profit in the AT industry is
        their objective.
        If those EU and USA politicians realy want to see accessibilty, because
        of 70% of visually impaired being unemployed, they can not longer lean
        back and argue that those AT companies make the world accessible,
        because they don't.

        > But at the moment, MS's magnifier is not a complete product.
        > It is lacking a 'full view' mode. If they provided this 'full
        > view', most of our problems would be solved at once.

        That's right! The reason they don't is, because of those AT companies,
        that also have to do the support and solving problems Microsoft creates.
        If tomorrow all those AT companies should be bankrupt, we soon should
        have access to Windows on any place!
        If all those politicians want accessibilty and realy like those 70% of
        unexmployed visually impaired employed, they have to force Microsoft to
        make their products accessible like section 508 in the USA obliged, or
        they have to pay the accessibity bill and sponsor AT companies to
        develop low cost solutions.

        Regards Peter Verhoeven

        This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
        If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
        If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a "reply" message.
        Thank you for your cooperation.
      • veracron
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 5, 2005
          --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Siedlaczek"
          <siedlaczek@g...> wrote:
          > > Hi Frank,
          > >
          > > It only runs on low screen resolutions and I need a magnifier to
          change
          > > resolution on a PC.
          >
          > Well I know this can be quite a hassle, but it can be done without
          even
          > looking at the screen. One could even write an AutoIt automation
          script,
          > compile that to an exe file and run it by hitting a certain key
          combination
          > or whatever. The script could open the Display properties dialog
          for you,
          > change the resolution and hit the OK button. You just sit and
          watch (or
          > wait) :-)

          You actually don't need to make a script. Goto Start->Programs-
          >Issist->iZoom (16 bit). It will switch the resolution to 16 bit,
          start iZoom and take you back to your original resolution once iZoom
          closes.
        • word2jim@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 6, 2005
            PLEASE, start a new thread when you talk about other subjects. Most of
            "Typing Echo" is about economics/politics. So start a thread about that.

            Topic;
            Typing Echo does not help me much.
            AT speech in general, is 'crazy making' for me! I have it turned OFF. IF
            ON, The reading of toolTips drives me crazy! When I am moving the mouse
            around to get to other parts of the screen (with full Mag.), menus, links, and
            tips popUp & are read, unRelated to what I am looking at. This is especially
            bad in the Internet.
            Sometimes I turn speech ON in MS Office or on the deskTop (where toolTips
            are turned OFF.) Usually I only have speech in AppReader and DocRdr.
            .Jim H.

          • Chris O'Donnell
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 10, 2005
              Hello Frank and Hello All,

              I am the current author of Virtual Magnifying Glass and I'm visually
              impaired. What is this "full view" that you are referring to below? Is this
              the same as "full screen"? Peter V. kindly pointed out this garish omission
              from freeware magnifiers; that is, a nearly complete lack of freeware
              support for full-screen magnifiers. So far we have iZoom, which is not bad,
              except for the web thingy (pardon my grammar). If "full view" is not the
              same as "full screen" then I need to be working on these two great features
              right away.

              Maybe I should be putting that into my freeware magnifier. For what it's
              worth, I am putting in a fair amount of new features into this little
              magnifier.

              Many thanks,
              -Chris O
              http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/

              On 10/5/05, Frank Siedlaczek <siedlaczek@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > magnifier
              > into their operating system whereas M$ can not? I know this would harm
              > companies like AI2's business. But ... come on... AI2 (they just serve as
              > an
              > example here) would then have to improve their product to make it more
              > useful than MS's basic magnifier and people would still buy it if they are
              > convinced that they get something on top of MS's functionality.
              > But at the moment, MS's magnifier is not a complete product. It is lacking
              > 'full view' mode. If they provided this 'full view', most of our problems
              > would be solved at once.
              >
              > Best regards
              > Frank
              >
              > --
              > 5 GB Mailbox, 50 FreeSMS http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail
              > +++ GMX - die erste Adresse für Mail, Message, More +++

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 10, 2005
                On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:58:37 -0400, Chris O'Donnell
                <csodonnell@...> wrote:

                >Hello Frank and Hello All,
                >
                >I am the current author of Virtual Magnifying Glass and I'm visually
                >impaired. What is this "full view" that you are referring to below? Is this
                >the same as "full screen"? Peter V. kindly pointed out this garish omission
                >from freeware magnifiers; that is, a nearly complete lack of freeware
                >support for full-screen magnifiers. So far we have iZoom, which is not bad,
                >except for the web thingy (pardon my grammar). If "full view" is not the
                >same as "full screen" then I need to be working on these two great features
                >right away.

                Yes.. Full view is the same thing as full screen.

                >Maybe I should be putting that into my freeware magnifier. For what it's
                >worth, I am putting in a fair amount of new features into this little
                >magnifier.

                Good idea. :)

                -Paul.
              • Chris O'Donnell
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 10, 2005
                  Good, good and very good, thanks for the clarification.

                  Also, about the windowsXP magnifier: if you just happen to have a
                  dual-monitor system, then already have a freeware full-screen (almost)
                  support. You can resize the windowsXP magnifier view for full-screen on one
                  monitor, and interact with apps on the other screen. Not bad, but not ideal.

                  Thanks,
                  -Chris O

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 10, 2005
                    Hi Chris,

                    Full screen magnification also means, that you can interact.
                    Only a view is useless for most visually impaired.