Re: [magnifiers] ZT and PDFs question

  • Kevin Brown
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 10, 2005
      The Reader is a free program Adobe gives out to let people read PDFs. Adobe
      Acrobat is costs money, and allows you to create and modify PDFs.

      As to the original question... I'm sure it should work, but I'm not sure
      exactly how. If no one else on the list knows the answer, email me and I'll
      be glad to research the issue. kb1381@...

      Kevin

      On 9/10/05, BruceHP@... <BruceHP@...> wrote:

      > In a message dated 9/10/2005 5:55:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > jen_jesso@... writes:
      >
      > Is there a way to make Acrobat Professional let ZoomText read files, or
      > should I just keep using Adobe Reader to read them?
      >

      > What's the difference? Thanks!

    • Alice Arnold
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 10, 2005
        To my knowledge if you have a file conversion tool or
        utility you should be able to make PDF files
        compatable with Zoom Text. If they are text files
        should be no problem to convert them to text. If they
        are image files and you are using PSP PAINT SHOP PRO,
        mine came with a batch file conversion utility or I
        call them tools. Click on file batch conversion on
        your menu and it will onvert your PDF files to PSP
        images. If youo use Paint in your Windows you find out
        what extensions are used in Windows Paint. Then simply
        have or get the utility called Smart Converter. It
        will convert your files so they are compatable with
        whatever you need them for.

        I have downloaded this utility many times and have
        found it to be very useful. No, it won't zap ZomText.
        I can guarentee it but it sure will get your files so
        you can use them with the proper conversion so
        ZoomText won't get sick when you try to use the files.

        Since my computer crashed about three weeks ago I have
        uet to redownload Smart Converter but I plan to before
        I get off this computer. Found your message in my e
        mail so thought I'd drop you an answer. I always like
        to try to help people. Have a good weekend.

        Alice Arnold

        ---------------------------------

        jen_jesso@... writes:

        Is there a way to make Acrobat Professional let
        ZoomText read files, or
        should I just keep using Adobe Reader to read them?

        What's the difference? Thanks!

        magnifiers@...

        Screen
        magnifier
        Communication and networking
        Wireless communication and networking

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • word2jim@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 12, 2005
          I hope you get this and don't get two copies. I am using the REPLY ALL
          button. I think many of my past messages using REPLY in AOL never got thru.

          QUOTE:
          Is there a way to make Acrobat Professional let
          ZoomText read files, or
          should I just keep using Adobe Reader to read them?
          END QUOTE
          As far as I know, the answer is NO. Only Adobe Reader has been modified to
          allow use by Zoom Text. There is no text in any graphical format for Zoom
          Text to 'read'.
          You need Adobe Reader 6 for use with ZT8 or Adobe Reader 7 for use with ZT9.
          .Jim H.

        • Kevin Brown
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 12, 2005
            He's right Jennifer! Sorry I gave you the wrong impression. How
            disappointing.
            You could have Reader as your default app to work with PDFs even if Adobe
            Acrobat is on the machine as well.
            Alice's idea to convert the PDFs to text or rich text is a good one,
            provided they are not too complicated. Adobe Acrobat can accomplish this.
            Adobe Acrobat has a built in 'read aloud' functionality. Might that server
            your purposes?
            *****

            *Which PDF viewers can ZoomText read from?*

            ZoomText 8.13 can read PDF documents opened in Adobe Reader 6.0.1 and later,
            inculding the Adobe Reader 7.0. Other PDF viewers, including Adobe Acrobat
            (Standard and Professional), are not currently supported.

            On 9/12/05, word2jim@... <word2jim@...> wrote:

            > I hope you get this and don't get two copies. I am using the REPLY ALL
            > button. I think many of my past messages using REPLY in AOL never got
            > thru.
            >
            > QUOTE:
            > Is there a way to make Acrobat Professional let
            > ZoomText read files, or
            > should I just keep using Adobe Reader to read them?
            > END QUOTE
            > As far as I know, the answer is NO. Only Adobe Reader has been modified to
            >
            > allow use by Zoom Text. There is no text in any graphical format for Zoom
            > Text to 'read'.
            > You need Adobe Reader 6 for use with ZT8 or Adobe Reader 7 for use with
            > ZT9.
            > .Jim H.

          • Jennifer Jesso
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 12, 2005
              Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone! I think for now I will set my
              default program to work with PDFs as Reader for now. I will take a look at
              the built-in speech as well, having never tried that before.

              Jen
            • BruceHP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 12, 2005
                In a message dated 9/12/2005 6:26:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                word2jim@... writes:

                QUOTE:
                Is there a way to make Acrobat Professional let
                ZoomText read files, or
                should I just keep using Adobe Reader to read them?
                END QUOTE
                As far as I know, the answer is NO. Only Adobe Reader has been modified to
                allow use by Zoom Text. There is no text in any graphical format for Zoom
                Text to 'read'.
                You need Adobe Reader 6 for use with ZT8 or Adobe Reader 7 for use with ZT9.
                .Jim H.

                ZT8.1 works with Adobe 7, but the built-in Adobe Reader works fine. Adobe
                should detect ZT and reprocess the document for reading.

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 12, 2005
                  In a message dated 9/12/2005 7:45:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  kb1381@... writes:

                  Alice's idea to convert the PDFs to text or rich text is a good one,
                  provided they are not too complicated.

                  why is this a good idea, when both ZT and Adobe Reader can both Read aloud.

                • Kevin Brown
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 12, 2005
                    On 9/12/05, BruceHP@... <BruceHP@...> wrote:

                    > In a message dated 9/12/2005 7:45:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > kb1381@... writes:
                    >
                    > Alice's idea to convert the PDFs to text or rich text is a good one,
                    > provided they are not too complicated.
                    >

                    > why is this a good idea, when both ZT and Adobe Reader can both Read
                    > aloud.

                    Good point. :)

                  • BruceHP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 12, 2005
                      In a message dated 9/12/2005 8:49:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      BruceHP@... writes:

                      Is there a way to make Acrobat Professional let
                      ZoomText read files, or
                      should I just keep using Adobe Reader to read them?

                      Now I get the question, yes, use Reader.

                    • Shawn Warren
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 12, 2005
                        Both ZT 8.1 & ZT 9 support both Adobe Reader 6.0.1 & Adobe Reader
                        version 7.

                        For details you can refer to our knowledge base. Here is an FAQ link:

                        http://www.aisquared.com/Support/KBdetail.cfm?ID=120

                        Shawn

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 12, 2005
                          In a message dated 09/12/2005 6:22:51 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                          swarren@... writes:

                          Both ZT 8.1 & ZT 9 support both Adobe Reader 6.0.1 & Adobe Reader
                          version 7.

                          For details you can refer to our knowledge base

                          Well... I quess it is time for a bug report on the 8.12 version!!!
                          I can not run Adobe Reader 7 successfully with ZT8.12 running. But it works
                          fine with ZT9.

                          When I first started beta testing of ZT9 I could not run Adobe 6
                          successfully, so I upgraded to the reader 7.
                          .Jim H.

                        • BruceHP@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 13, 2005
                            In a message dated 9/13/2005 2:25:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            word2jim@... writes:

                            Well... I quess it is time for a bug report on the 8.12 version!!!

                            The current version is 8.13.06, maybe you should update.