Re: [magnifiers] Technologies for Lifelong Independence

  • Stephen Hughes
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
      Did I read the mesage correctly, that Code Factory and TLI are selling betas?

      I am stunned that anyone would part with money for a product that has not finished beta testing, normally beta testers are given the product as a thank you for the valuable service they provide, how else are Code Factory going to determine if it works in the real world?

      independtech <promotions@...> wrote:
      Code Factory has elected to release MobileSpeak/Pocket as a public
      beta and to help celebrate the launch of this revolutionary product,
      Technologies for Lifelong Independence is offering a special
      promotion to those who buy the product during this pre-release
      period. You benefit by becoming one of the first on your block to
      enjoy the independence and low price of a talking PDA whose weight
      is less than 4 ounces and can be used without a keyboard.

      The early adopters special from TLI:

      · MobileSpeak/Pocket, ordinarily $499 in the US, can be
      purchased for $425 during the public beta period.
      · The first person to purchase MSP will receive a free Dell
      Axim PDA compliments of TLI.
      · The rest of the early adopters will be placed in a pool for
      the opportunity to win other exciting prizes like:
      · 1 Nokia 6600 with MobileSpeak installed on it
      · 5 Nokia 3660 cell phones with MobileSpeak installed
      · 10 people will receive their choice of MobileAccessibility
      or MobileMagnifier for their cell phone
      · Many others will receive MSP t-shirts

      For further information on this exciting new product, including
      features, facts and hardware requirements and the TLI early adopter
      special, please go to http://www.independtech.com/msp.

      Also, TLI has the best prices in the US for other Code Factory
      products. Check out the entire catalogue at
      http://www.independtech.com

      NOTE: All winners of a cell phone package must sign up for T-Mobile
      service through TLI. If you elect not to take T-Mobile service, you
      can select one of the other prizes, excluding the Dell Axim.

    • Stephen Hughes
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
        I appreciate that you welcome early adoptors for MobileSpeak Pocket and I am sure it is a very good package being offered by TLI. I still do not understand why a company is charging for a beta product, without public beta testing Code Factory would not get any real world experiences and problem feedback for their development of the released version.

        Is this going to be the trend, to charge beta testers for the previlege of testing a product under development, with all the associated bugs etc. May be the beta testers should start charging for each bug report submitted, as without this information Code Factory would not be able to launch a fully tested product.

        I hope none of the other screen reader developers follow this trend.

        wrote:
[...]

      • Verhoeven, Peter
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
          Hi Stephen,

          I didn't realise this is a beta version, but I fully agree with you.
          Asking money for a beta version is realy absurd and I stongly recommend
          NOT to buy this.

          I also do not agree with Code Factory's license pollicy. If your Phone
          or PDA is stolen or lost, or if you buy a new PDA or phone as
          replacement for your old one, you have to pay for a new license.

          I hope more companies will release products for PDA's and mobile phones
          soon, that better know the needs of visually impaired.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
            Well, they say they are selling Betas, but when you write to them they aren't answering, so it's hard to tell what they are doing. I used to beta test for Word Perfect. When Corel bought them they changed policy and required Beta Testers to return the beta software at the end of the test giving them nothing for their grouble. I stopped testing or them needless to say. Although the price is reduced, I still believe they've got a lot of nerve asking people to work for them to perfect a product in this way. I guess wwe are supposed to be so desperate for access we'll pay anything and accept any conditions.
          • Stephen Hughes
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
              My sentiments exactly Kathy, I think it's a cheek charging for betas. Without beta testers where would they be? And as for being that desperate for the technology, I know many companies are also working on PDA solutions and mobile solutions, I think Code Factory are so desperate to get their product to market first that they are releasing betas, rather thann waiting for development to finish and then go to market. I think I will wait and buy a fully tested solution, possibly from someone else.

              Kathy Williams <kseven@...> wrote:Well, they say they are selling Betas, but when you write to them they aren't answering, so it's hard to tell what they are doing. I used to beta test for Word Perfect. When Corel bought them they changed policy and required Beta Testers to return the beta software at the end of the test giving them nothing for their grouble. I stopped testing or them needless to say. Although the price is reduced, I still believe they've got a lot of nerve asking people to work for them to perfect a product in this way. I guess wwe are supposed to be so desperate for access we'll pay anything and accept any conditions.