Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 9.0 Ready to Test Drive

  • C.L.M. Toxopeus
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 19, 2005
      Hallo all,

      I am trying the ZT beta now. Indeed I have seen good
      points and bad points. The good points that I noticed
      are indeed the xfonts feature. Although it helps in
      general I didn't see work correct it in Acrobat
      Reader. Also the settings per application are very
      useful. For example when switching applications ZT can
      also switch synthesizers, which is very useful for
      someone who uses English and Dutch applications (I'm
      Dutch). I think that that is one feature that I will
      use. There are also weak points. At my computer the
      NeoSpeech Synth doesn't work as any other SAPI 5
      speech engine. I already send this info to AI Squared
      and they are trying to solve this with me. One other
      thing that might be useful to see is a more flexible
      application support, you can use the classtool, but a
      more documented way would help (yes I know about the
      website of AI Squared).

      The one who thinks that a 'better' magnification is
      not useful for blind have to do their homework better.
      Isn't magnification the main feature of ZoomText? It
      started with it in DOS. The speech was added later and
      made it also more useful. When you do not need the
      screen to watch you have more choice in selecting your
      screen reader than selecting a screen magnifier. In
      other operating systems than Windows there aren't even
      advanced screen magnifiers, although one (Gnopernicus)
      is in development for years and also will be that for
      a long time.

      I also read from Peter about the activation of ZT.
      Wake up, in version 8.0 there was already product
      activation. So crying that this is active in the new
      version of ZT is useless, because its already in the
      current versions. You are right to ask the question.
      Why such high security around this application while
      not all other expensive applications do not use such,
      especially as the audience isn't as big as theirs. A
      USB-stick looks like a good solution to use more than
      one computer without infringing any licence agreement.
      But still I have some questions. Dolphin have their
      own speech synthesyster included on that stick, but
      what if you want to use a different synth? Also the
      stick might not be as useful when traveling on a train
      or plane. You might want to use the laptop while
      traveling, but what if the train plane wobbles
      suddenly and the stick falls. You lost it, but also
      you can't use your computer anymore because the stick
      is gone. Seems far fetching? What about turbulence as
      the plane flies thruough a thunderstorm or the train
      drives through a switching yard near a station with
      high speed. Security is never 100%, pirates always
      win. But security can make a difference because only
      the deperate ones will do it and not the others. But
      this doesn't mean that I am against any security,
      everyone who develops software for a living has to be
      paied for his work. Even I when I am done with my
      study. Than's my time to cash in :-)

      Greetings,
      Kees

    • Karey Carbaugh
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 19, 2005
        Hi Stephen,

        While at first I did not see much advantage to xfont,
        I have come to really like it a lot. I would disagree
        with you that it really doesn't matter to a low vision
        person. While I use ZoomText at about 8X, depending
        on the size of the screen), I also do use the Speach
        output. Having the smoother text is extremely helpful
        and makes it much easier to read more quickly. In
        fact, for some causes of blindness, this is extremely
        critical, and having the ability to "bold" everything
        is essential. While I do agree that some of the other
        features you mention would be nice, and maybe even
        becoming essential, I do think there is merrit in the
        xfonts. As someone who can remember the "Stair-Step"
        letters of earlier fonts (going back to the early
        1980's) we have come a long way and xfonts is another
        step in that direction.

        Some of the other features in ZoomText 9.0 that people
        are overlooking include the new NeoSpeach synthesizer
        (a "nice-to-have", maybe, but much easier to
        understand and to listen to for long periods of time).
        In addition, the ability to have different
        application settings is a WONDERFUL addition. In
        fact, I have found where some settings don't work with
        some applications and this makes it possible to use
        ZoomText with these applications.

        Thanks,
        Karey

        http://www.aisquared.com/Products/zt9/Z9FreeTrial.cfm

        > > Read more about the features:
        > >
        > > http://www.aisquared.com/zoomnews/getthebeta.htm
        > >
        > > Compare xFont Magnification to Standard
        > Magnification:
        > >
        > > http://www.aisquared.com/zoomnews/smoothing.htm

        > > Doug Hacker
        > > Director of Operations
        > > Ai Squared - Making Accessibility Simple ®
        > > dhacker@...
        > > (802) 362-3612 x107
        > >
        > > Visit Ai Squared online at www.aisquared.com
        > >
        > > The Screen Magnifiers Homepage
        > >
        > > http://www.magnifiers.org

        > magnifiers@...

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > magnifiers@...

        > removed]

        Thank you,
        Have a Great Day!

        Karey Carbaugh

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Stephen Hughes
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 20, 2005
          Hi Karey,

          I am sure that the new xfont improvements will be of use to Zoomtext users, however, my key point was really that:

          Zoomtext appears to have included greater and greater levels of speech support over the last few years, I think trying to target it as the combined screen magnifier and screen reader solution, catering for a variety of needs. I agree it is a very good product for low vision users, however, it is not a screen reader and realistically it will never provide adequate support for a blind user. I am sure you would agree!

          As a member mentioned earlier, Zoomtext's font smoothing is effective at very high magnification. I really believe that at levels approaching 32 times and above, image smoothing would be almost irrelevant, as users would almost certainly be using speech as the primary source of information.

          My colleague uses LunarPlus, from Dolphin, which is a similar product, with equally as many magnification features with supportive speech (including application settings, it's own synthesizer, fractional magnification up to 5.4 times and includes images smoothing. My other point is that Zoomtext are now including features that already exist, they are playing catch up now rather than leading the way.

          I heard someone about 12 months ago quote that very little is happening in the field of screen readers and magnifiers, except for the addition of a few bells and whistles, and I can't help thinking this is the case with Zoomtext 9.0. I wish I felt differently!

          Stephen

          wrote:
          > Hi Doug,
          >
          > Is this a commercial?
          > If not maybe you can try to give some objective
          > information!
          >
          > There is nothing revoluionnary in version 9, or do
          > you mean the
          > user-unfriendly activation technology?
          >
          > Are all the bugs and problems reported in ZoomText 8
          > solved? Can you
          > post a list of all bug fixes and new features?
          >
          > Do you think AT vendors, like the Tieman group, now
          > will recommend using
          > Zoomtext in professional work location, now they
          > recommend not using
          > Zoomtext, because of its instability.
          >
          > Can Zoomtext now be installed in a Network
          > environment, so that visual
          > impaired employees can access any computer on any
          > place in the company?
          > Does Zoomtext now work well on Citrix (Speech and
          > tracking)?
          >
          > I'm interesting in hearing the facts about Zoomtext
          > not the nonsence!
          >
          > Regards Peter Verhoeven
          > magnifiers.org
          >

          > Doug Hacker wrote:
          > >
          > > Get ready to experience the next advance in screen
          > magnification and reading technology - ZoomText 9.0.
          > As we put the finishing touches on this exciting new
          > release, we're making this pre-release version of
          > ZoomText 9.0 available to the public for final
          > testing and feedback. It's solid, safe, and your
          > chance to start enjoying the power of ZoomText 9.0
          > today.
          > >
          > > Take a few minutes to read about the revolutionary
          > new features in ZoomText 9.0. Then click the link
          > below to download your pre-release copy of ZoomText
          > 9.0. Once you've seen it, no other screen magnifier
          > will do.
          > >
          > > Download the ZoomText 9.0 Beta:

          http://www.aisquared.com/Products/zt9/Z9FreeTrial.cfm

          > > Read more about the features:
          > >
          > > http://www.aisquared.com/zoomnews/getthebeta.htm
          > >
          > > Compare xFont Magnification to Standard
          > Magnification:
          > >
          > > http://www.aisquared.com/zoomnews/smoothing.htm

          > > Doug Hacker
          > > Director of Operations
          > > Ai Squared - Making Accessibility Simple ®
          > > dhacker@...
          > > (802) 362-3612 x107
          > >
          > > Visit Ai Squared online at www.aisquared.com
          > >
          > > The Screen Magnifiers Homepage
          > >
          > > http://www.magnifiers.org

          > magnifiers@...

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > magnifiers@...

          > removed]

          Thank you,
          Have a Great Day!

          Karey Carbaugh

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Karey Carbaugh
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 20, 2005
            Thanks Stephen,

            It sounds like we are in agreement on most of this.
            ZoomText is definitely aimed at low vision users,
            rather than totally blind users. The first I used
            ZoomText, this became apparent to me very quickly. It
            fit like a glove. I realized very quickly that the
            needs of the totally blind and low vision users are
            quite different. I had been using Screen Magnifiers
            that were developed as off-shoots of Screen Readers
            and they never quite did what I wanted them to do. I
            think you are right that ZoomText is maybe not the
            right solution for totally blind users. It would be
            very dificult to come up with one solution for both.
            I have not tried Dolphin nor Magic in several years,
            so it may be that these have caught up to ZoomText in
            many of their features. I also agree that some of the
            other things you mentioned in your original note would
            be useful for some users. I am in a stand-alone
            environment, so most of the networking features would
            not be useful for me personally at this point, but
            theymight have been when I was still employed at IBM.

            Anyway, it does sound like we are on the same page
            with most of your comments. Sorry for any
            mis-interpretation of them earlier.

            === message truncated ===

            Thank you,
            Have a Great Day!