Text-to-speech screen-reader on Mandrake version of Linux similar to JAWS?

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2005
      I had heard that Mandrake Linux has a sub-program called "Francisca"
      (spelling?) that is similar to JAWS. Has anyone tried this sub-program
      to see how it works in the "real world" of e-mail, word-processors,
      Internet browsing, and the like (I don't have Linux) to run this
      program, judge ease-of-use, etc.)?

      The goal of this is to find out if the low-cost "white-box" Linux PCs
      would be usable by low-vision/blind individuals, with the
      supposedly "built-in" screen-readers in the Mandrake version of Linux,
      as this could be an option for those who can't afford the Windows PCs,
      and the Windows-based expensive screen-readers, normally only
      affordable if one receives vocational rehab funding, etc. for same.

      Thanks for any assistance on this matter.

      Richard in Louisiana
      wordsmith1776@...