Re: [magnifiers] TFT or normal screen for magnifiers?

  • Ed Aziz
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2005
      Hi Peter
      I am using a 2 monitor set up with the ap on one screen and the magnifier window on the second monitor and just recently replaced my25" & 18" crt's with 2 18" lcd tft screens and like them much better. They work out great.
      Ed

      Peter Verhoeven <pverhoe@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      Is it true that screen magnifiers on a TFT screen perform less than on a
      normal screen because of the lower refresh rate on TFT Screens.
      Is any of you using a TFT screen in combination with a screen magnifier and
      what should you advice me to buy a TFT or normal screen?

    • C.L.M. Toxopeus
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2005
        Hi Peter,

        Well it depends. I know some people who prefer TFT
        screens because the image is 'softer' for their eyes.

        I use a large CRT screen (22") and the screen of the
        laptop. I actually prefer the CRT screen because the
        light is equally distributed over the screen. It's a
        bit difficult to explain, but I hope you get the
        point. But if I am travelling, I can perfectly use the
        screen of the laptop as well. But if I have to buy a
        new screen for my desktop I would buy a CRT screen and
        not a TFT screen.

        So my 'little' problem with TFT screens is not about
        the refresh rate. With the current screens I nearly
        see no difference to a CRT screen in graphics
        performance.

        Twelf years ago when I got my first laptop with a LCD
        screen the image was much different (worse), a fading
        letter on the screen when you moved on the screen.

        The choice is yours.

        Greetings,
        Kees

        --- Peter Verhoeven <pverhoe@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Is it true that screen magnifiers on a TFT screen
        > perform less than on a
        > normal screen because of the lower refresh rate on
        > TFT Screens.
        > Is any of you using a TFT screen in combination with
        > a screen magnifier and
        > what should you advice me to buy a TFT or normal
        > screen?
        >
        > Regards Peter Verhoeven
        >

        > --
        > Release Date: 13-5-05

        > magnifiers@...

      • Emilia Belserene
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
          It depends, Peter, on what features of screen magnification you use. I
          tried a flat screen monitor and didn't like the scrolling. Characters
          become less sharp when scrolling and there is less contrast between the
          text and background.

          I rely on DocReader in ZT7.11, which scrolls smoothly so you can read the
          words while they are moving. They lose contrast because of the
          persistence effect. The same happens when scrolling with Alt-right
          arrow. It is not a huge difference but it is annoying.

          I also use the same monitor for a CCTV. Transition from one to the other
          is slower than with a crt.

          - Emilia