TFT or normal screen for magnifiers?

    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2005

      Is it true that screen magnifiers on a TFT screen perform less than on a
      normal screen because of the lower refresh rate on TFT Screens.
      Is any of you using a TFT screen in combination with a screen magnifier and
      what should you advice me to buy a TFT or normal screen?

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2005
        On Mon, 16 May 2005 13:29:56 +0200, Peter Verhoeven
        <pverhoe@...> wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >Is it true that screen magnifiers on a TFT screen perform less than on a
        >normal screen because of the lower refresh rate on TFT Screens.
        >Is any of you using a TFT screen in combination with a screen magnifier and
        >what should you advice me to buy a TFT or normal screen?
        >
        >Regards Peter Verhoeven

        Well, I know that ZoomText 8 has a font smoothing option designed
        specificly to make text more readable on TFT flatscreen montiors
        (including laptops and notebooks).

        I use a CRT monitor so I can't personaly say how well it works, but I've
        heard good things from users who do have a TFT monitor.

        -Paul.
      • Ed Aziz

          Message 4 of 5 , May 16, 2005
            Hi Peter,

            Well it depends. I know some people who prefer TFT
            screens because the image is 'softer' for their eyes.

            I use a large CRT screen (22") and the screen of the
            laptop. I actually prefer the CRT screen because the
            light is equally distributed over the screen. It's a
            bit difficult to explain, but I hope you get the
            point. But if I am travelling, I can perfectly use the
            screen of the laptop as well. But if I have to buy a
            new screen for my desktop I would buy a CRT screen and
            not a TFT screen.

            So my 'little' problem with TFT screens is not about
            the refresh rate. With the current screens I nearly
            see no difference to a CRT screen in graphics
            performance.

            Twelf years ago when I got my first laptop with a LCD
            screen the image was much different (worse), a fading
            letter on the screen when you moved on the screen.

            The choice is yours.

            Greetings,
            Kees

            --- Peter Verhoeven <pverhoe@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Is it true that screen magnifiers on a TFT screen
            > perform less than on a
            > normal screen because of the lower refresh rate on
            > TFT Screens.
            > Is any of you using a TFT screen in combination with
            > a screen magnifier and
            > what should you advice me to buy a TFT or normal
            > screen?
            >
            > Regards Peter Verhoeven
            >

            > --
            > Release Date: 13-5-05

            > magnifiers@...

          • Emilia Belserene
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
              It depends, Peter, on what features of screen magnification you use. I
              tried a flat screen monitor and didn't like the scrolling. Characters
              become less sharp when scrolling and there is less contrast between the
              text and background.

              I rely on DocReader in ZT7.11, which scrolls smoothly so you can read the
              words while they are moving. They lose contrast because of the
              persistence effect. The same happens when scrolling with Alt-right
              arrow. It is not a huge difference but it is annoying.

              I also use the same monitor for a CCTV. Transition from one to the other
              is slower than with a crt.

              - Emilia