Re: [magnifiers] Dolphin launches the worl d's first access software on a portable Pen

  • Frank Siedlaczek
    Message 1 of 16 , May 15, 2005
      Paul wrote:

      >Isn't this going to just lead to yet another way for viruses and trojan
      >horses to be spread, though?

      Actually not... You shouldn't run around with a normal usb stick with
      read and write access and plug it into each and everywhere. Of course
      this would allow viruses to spread very easily. I do hope AT vendors
      will go for usb devices that can be selectively secured, i.e. which can
      grant or deny write access to specific regions of their storage
      memory...! Although, to be honest, I doubt that anyone will pay
      attention to that... As with other security issues like using a
      non-admin-privs account for your daily work instead of an admin-privs
      enabled account, this usb storage issue will be ignored, I'm afraid.
      Just on the contrary: The user's settings will be stored back to the usb
      device as Dolphin stated. So write access must be allowed. Urghhh! :-/

      Hope for the best... But don't expect me to grant you admin privs on my
      system (to install the interceptor or whatever) if your stick allows for
      software to write to its memory.

      But I may sound nerdy and geeky again... But give it a thought.

      Regards :-)
      Frank