RE: FW: [magnifiers] Questions about licensing adaptive technology

  • steveb
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 24, 2005
      Hi Peter

      Sorry it has taken so long to reply I have been out of the office for a
      couple of weeks attending an exhibition.

      To answer your question Dolphin has slightly altered the running method
      for Lunar, LunarPlus, Hal and Supernova so they can be placed on a USB
      flash/thumb drive. In this new product your chosen Dolphin product is
      not installed to the PC but runs from the USB drive. It does require
      the installation of the Dolphin interceptor (DCM) on to the PC but this
      install is only required once.

      Following the installation of the interceptor, simply placing the
      'Dolphin Pen' in any of the USB ports will automatically run your chosen
      magnification, speech and Braille product without requiring any further
      installation. On closing the Dolphin product down the users settings
      are saved to the Dolphin Pen for automatic use on another PC.

      After reading the comments from the list on licensing we have realised
      customers would like a flexible licensing approach to help with
      portability; we will therefore licence the software for use on any PC
      they choose as no authorisation is required.

      Hope this helps and apologies for the delay in replying.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 24, 2005
        Hi Steve,

        Yes, a "Dolphin Pen", realy a great solution to be more mobile!
        Does this already work, or is it something for a new release.

        I realy think it solves a lot of problems accessing computers on
        different locations such as course locations.

        I now do not install AT products on computers from collegues, or public
        used computers, because I'm afraid the AT installation changes to much
        on the system.
        But if the only thing is "running DCM" and this does not effect the
        system if I remove the "Dolphin Pen" you are opening doors, that still
        were be closed.

        Think about public libraries computers, hotel computers, computers on
        holliday addresses and it opens a new possibility for me as software
        engineer, help people on location.

        Now I'm very restricted to my computer on my work location.
        So. if you can make this possible soon I'm the first to buy such a
        "Dolphin Pen" because I see a lot of new opertunities.

        Regards Peter Verhoeven
        steveb wrote:

        > Hi Peter
        >
        > Sorry it has taken so long to reply I have been out of the office for a
        > couple of weeks attending an exhibition.
        >
        > To answer your question Dolphin has slightly altered the running method
        > for Lunar, LunarPlus, Hal and Supernova so they can be placed on a USB
        > flash/thumb drive. In this new product your chosen Dolphin product is
        > not installed to the PC but runs from the USB drive. It does require
        > the installation of the Dolphin interceptor (DCM) on to the PC but this
        > install is only required once.
        >
        > Following the installation of the interceptor, simply placing the
        > 'Dolphin Pen' in any of the USB ports will automatically run your chosen
        > magnification, speech and Braille product without requiring any further
        > installation. On closing the Dolphin product down the users settings
        > are saved to the Dolphin Pen for automatic use on another PC.
        >
        > After reading the comments from the list on licensing we have realised
        > customers would like a flexible licensing approach to help with
        > portability; we will therefore licence the software for use on any PC
        > they choose as no authorisation is required.
        >
        > Hope this helps and apologies for the delay in replying.
        >
        > Steve

      • C.L.M. Toxopeus
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 24, 2005
          Hi Steve,

          This idea of a 'Dolphin Pen' indeed sounds like a
          great solution for many of us. I only have one
          license, on the pen, and still I can access nearly any
          computer. I could use any computer on the university
          campus that runs under Windows. Or I could use a
          computer in an internet cafe when I'm on holidays.

          Greetings,
          Kees Toxopeus

          --- Peter Verhoeven <pav@...> wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          >
          > Yes, a "Dolphin Pen", realy a great solution to be
          > more mobile!
          > Does this already work, or is it something for a new
          > release.
          >
          > I realy think it solves a lot of problems accessing
          > computers on
          > different locations such as course locations.
          >
          > I now do not install AT products on computers from
          > collegues, or public
          > used computers, because I'm afraid the AT
          > installation changes to much
          > on the system.
          > But if the only thing is "running DCM" and this does
          > not effect the
          > system if I remove the "Dolphin Pen" you are opening
          > doors, that still
          > were be closed.
          >
          > Think about public libraries computers, hotel
          > computers, computers on
          > holliday addresses and it opens a new possibility
          > for me as software
          > engineer, help people on location.
          >
          > Now I'm very restricted to my computer on my work
          > location.
          > So. if you can make this possible soon I'm the first
          > to buy such a
          > "Dolphin Pen" because I see a lot of new
          > opertunities.
          >
          > Regards Peter Verhoeven
          > steveb wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Peter
          > >
          > > Sorry it has taken so long to reply I have been
          > out of the office for a
          > > couple of weeks attending an exhibition.
          > >
          > > To answer your question Dolphin has slightly
          > altered the running method
          > > for Lunar, LunarPlus, Hal and Supernova so they
          > can be placed on a USB
          > > flash/thumb drive. In this new product your
          > chosen Dolphin product is
          > > not installed to the PC but runs from the USB
          > drive. It does require
          > > the installation of the Dolphin interceptor (DCM)
          > on to the PC but this
          > > install is only required once.
          > >
          > > Following the installation of the interceptor,
          > simply placing the
          > > 'Dolphin Pen' in any of the USB ports will
          > automatically run your chosen
          > > magnification, speech and Braille product without
          > requiring any further
          > > installation. On closing the Dolphin product down
          > the users settings
          > > are saved to the Dolphin Pen for automatic use on
          > another PC.
          > >
          > > After reading the comments from the list on
          > licensing we have realised
          > > customers would like a flexible licensing approach
          > to help with
          > > portability; we will therefore licence the
          > software for use on any PC
          > > they choose as no authorisation is required.
          > >
          > > Hope this helps and apologies for the delay in
          > replying.
          > >
          > > Steve

        • steveb
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 24, 2005
            Thank you both for the kind words

            The Dolphin Pen version will be released on the 3rd May and under the
            licence conditions you will indeed be able to use any PC with the
            Interceptor installed. (Anywhere in the world) The Interceptor does
            require local administration rights and a one off reboot to install,
            however, we will make the interceptor available free of charge as a
            download from the Dolphin web site. The interceptor is only 152 kb and
            has the Microsoft DCM included.

            You can if you wish back the Dolphin Pen up to a PC hard drive just in
            case the software is corrupted or overwritten on the Pen drive. Simply
            copying the software back to the Dolphin Pen will restore in the event
            of a problem.

            Perhaps it's worth mentioning, it would not be possible to run the
            software on another drive as we have copy protected to the pen drive.

            Best regards and enjoy the Easter holiday

            http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 24, 2005
              Hi Steve,

              Sounds good.
              Can you point me to information on the Internet about DCM?
              What happens with the computer after installing DCM and the Dolphin
              Interceptor?

              Is the interceptor still used by the computer if not running Supernova
              or Hal?
              If so, are there any risks (for example with other AT Software
              installed)?

              Regards Peter Verhoeven

              steveb wrote:

              > Thank you both for the kind words
              >
              > The Dolphin Pen version will be released on the 3rd May and under the
              > licence conditions you will indeed be able to use any PC with the
              > Interceptor installed. (Anywhere in the world) The Interceptor does
              > require local administration rights and a one off reboot to install,
              > however, we will make the interceptor available free of charge as a
              > download from the Dolphin web site. The interceptor is only 152 kb and
              > has the Microsoft DCM included.
              >
              > You can if you wish back the Dolphin Pen up to a PC hard drive just in
              > case the software is corrupted or overwritten on the Pen drive. Simply
              > copying the software back to the Dolphin Pen will restore in the event
              > of a problem.
              >
              > Perhaps it's worth mentioning, it would not be possible to run the
              > software on another drive as we have copy protected to the pen drive.
              >
              > Best regards and enjoy the Easter holiday
              >
              > Steve

            • Colin Holloway
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 26, 2005
                Hi Peter
                If you go to the following link on Freedom Scientific's site it will tell
                you about the Driver Chain Manager (DCM) for screen readers.
                http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_products/training_dcm.asp#Benefits
                Regards
                Colin

                Colin Holloway
                New Vision

                > Can you point me to information on the Internet about DCM?
                > What happens with the computer after installing DCM and the Dolphin
                > Interceptor?
                >
                > Is the interceptor still used by the computer if not running Supernova
                > or Hal?
                > If so, are there any risks (for example with other AT Software
                > installed)?
                >
                > Regards Peter Verhoeven
                >

                > steveb wrote:
                >>
                >> Thank you both for the kind words
                >>
                >> The Dolphin Pen version will be released on the 3rd May and under the
                >> licence conditions you will indeed be able to use any PC with the
                >> Interceptor installed. (Anywhere in the world) The Interceptor does
                >> require local administration rights and a one off reboot to install,
                >> however, we will make the interceptor available free of charge as a
                >> download from the Dolphin web site. The interceptor is only 152 kb and
                >> has the Microsoft DCM included.
                >>
                >> You can if you wish back the Dolphin Pen up to a PC hard drive just in
                >> case the software is corrupted or overwritten on the Pen drive. Simply
                >> copying the software back to the Dolphin Pen will restore in the event
                >> of a problem.
                >>
                >> Perhaps it's worth mentioning, it would not be possible to run the
                >> software on another drive as we have copy protected to the pen drive.
                >>
                >> Best regards and enjoy the Easter holiday
                >>
                >> Steve

              • Chris O'Donnell
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 28, 2005
                  So these companies use "driver chaining", this is the magic tech that
                  enables all of these professional screen readers? That's *very*
                  interesting indeed, it partly explains the relatively high cost of
                  these products. Well, there is both good news and bad news with such
                  a techique.

                  Good news:
                  1) With display driver interception, you can very nice video effects
                  which the end-user would expect out of a professional AT software.
                  2) Probably works well (mostly) as a generic solution -- that is,
                  this technique probably works with most video cards. Thus, the
                  end-user shouldn't need to worry about what hardware they have
                  installed (OK this is the ideal situation, but at least that's the
                  theory at any rate).

                  Bad news:
                  1) This is tricky programming; let's say that intercepting device
                  drivers is a rather delicate business, any problems whatsoever and you
                  get the Blue Screen of Death that is so common on the older Windows
                  OSs.
                  2) As such, it would expensive to
                  develop/debug/test/enhance/support/etc... such an implementation. You
                  have consider a rather large set of permutations.
                  3) If multiple applications are intercepting the same device driver,
                  you are in a world of hurt, hence the need for the DCM. Why in heck
                  should multiple applications chain into the display device driver at
                  the same time? Well, they shouldn't, but really how is this ever
                  going to work in practice? If someone installs ZT first then
                  Supernova second, who gets to intercept the display device driver?

                  Have any of these companies considering a hardware/software solution
                  to screen magnification? From the machine vision realm, there are
                  immense benefits to be gained from the concept of the overlay buffer.
                  However, to use an overlay buffer, you need hardware that supports it.
                  This means using a video pass-through board in the end-user computer
                  or perhaps just DirectX. Such a technique is a better alternative to
                  device-driver chaining in that it would be a more robust solution.

                  If we are optimistic, the Driver Chain Manager 1.0 sounds promising.
                  Hopefully it will actually work and these companies' products can
                  truly co-exist thus making life easier on the end user. It's
                  interesting though, will these competing companies play nice with each
                  other's products?

                  If I read between the lines, this may be Microsoft's only commitment
                  to Assistive Technology in the near future? Perhaps they consider AT
                  such a fringe market that they wouldn't bother to put too much effort
                  into AT?

                  Well, that's my brief thoughts about all of this fun stuff,
                  -Chris O
                  http://sourceforge.net/projects/magnifier