New here

  • Chris ODonnell
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2005
      Hello all,

      I am new here and curious to what low-vision computer users are doing.
      I don't know how "low" my vision is as compared to others, but sure
      is far from "high" -- I do glaucoma with some vision loss (and plenty
      of astigmatism, you simply aren't living life until you have
      astigmatism :-). I am currently the maintainer of Virtual Magnifying
      Glass from Sourceforge, http://sourceforge.net/projects/magnifier --
      which is perhaps a "lighter-duty" vision helper app, but it's free of
      course, and I can add whatever I want to this app. Fun, fun, fun.
      Why in heck do the "products" cost hundreds of dollars? Perhaps they
      do, in fact, contain some expensive features? (pardon the blatant
      sarcasm :-)

      Anyway, I'm really glad this group is here, hopefully I can learn a
      lot.

      Kind regards,
      -Chris O
      "Waging the war against small fonts."
    • delboy 0
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2005
        Chris
        My point exactly as to why these products have to be so dear, when you
        consider that the majority of people using them will be unable to work etc
        due to their vision loss dont get me wrong however i appriciate that
        everyone is entitled to make a living but hey at whos expence.
        I personallty can not afford the likes of zoomtext, but really do need it as
        everything else ive looked at only explodes part of the screen which i
        myself find very irratating on top of which i find having gotten used to it
        now the speech part helpful sometimes,[the kind people at zoomtext have
        extended my demo for a while to assist,but ultimately it will run out
        again], minewhile i search in vain for funding to buy this and other
        equipment to help to give me a slightly better life style.
        I have opened a forum myself at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eyesight-helpdesk-uk out of desperation to try
        and gat responce from others as to the problems they face daily and together
        we might be able to help each other, you are most welcome to join in anyone
        is welcome as everyones veiws counts to us.
        I will take a look at your page now and report back to you what i think once
        ive had a chance to do so
        Yours
        Dougie

        >From: "Chris ODonnell" <csodonnell@...>
        >To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [magnifiers] New here
        >Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 04:44:46 -0000
        >

        >Hello all,
        >
        >I am new here and curious to what low-vision computer users are doing.
        > I don't know how "low" my vision is as compared to others, but sure
        >is far from "high" -- I do glaucoma with some vision loss (and plenty
        >of astigmatism, you simply aren't living life until you have
        >astigmatism :-). I am currently the maintainer of Virtual Magnifying
        >Glass from Sourceforge, http://sourceforge.net/projects/magnifier --
        >which is perhaps a "lighter-duty" vision helper app, but it's free of
        >course, and I can add whatever I want to this app. Fun, fun, fun.
        >Why in heck do the "products" cost hundreds of dollars? Perhaps they
        >do, in fact, contain some expensive features? (pardon the blatant
        >sarcasm :-)
        >
        >Anyway, I'm really glad this group is here, hopefully I can learn a
        >lot.
        >
        >Kind regards,
        >-Chris O
        >"Waging the war against small fonts."

        Please note that www.robroyway.co.uk and www.leapfrogz.co.uk are now trading
        as WWW.TROSSACHS-TRADING.CO.UK in order to encompass operating in and around
        The Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Parks areas.
        The same level of personal attention will be afforded to customers old and
        new.
        Breaking news a new purpose built website is currently being built at
        www.trossachs-transfers.co.uk due to officially launch on the 1/2/04 please
        do stop in and have a look

        http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/
      • Karey Carbaugh
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2005
          Hi Chris,

          Welcome to the group, though I'm sorry to hear of why
          you are "coming on board".

          I have been a software developer for about 20 years
          now and am currently working to develop and enhance
          web sites for usability and accessibility to make them
          easier and more efficient for users to use with
          adaptive technologies.

          I have had very low vision the whole time I have been
          working on computers and have myself gone from having
          a terminal (long before PC's) which had 2 fonts (one
          that was a 2x "adjustment" to the normal font and the
          normal font). I am now an avid user of ZoomText and
          have tried others like Super Nova and Magic. While I
          too wish that that these products were more
          "affordable", I think the "short" answer to your
          question is a sort of good news, bad news answer. The
          good news is that there are not a lot of people who
          are forced to use these adaptive technologies. The
          bad news is because there are not a lot of people
          there are fewer customers to share the costs of
          developing these technologies. In other words, if it
          costs Micro Soft $1,000,000 to develop a software
          product (such as Windows), if they can share this cost
          among 1,000,000 users it only costs each user $1 for
          their "share" of the development costs. If on the
          other hand, it costs a developer of an adaptive
          software product the same $1,000,000 to develop that
          product, but they only have 1,000 users of that
          product, each user's portion of the development cost
          will be $100 instead of $1. Since I am not a
          developer of these products I cannot say for sure if
          this is the reason, but it only stands to reason as a
          developer of software myself that this is largely the
          reason these products seem to be so expensive.

          I know this doesn't make them any cheaper, but I hope
          this logic makes sense and at least makes it more
          pallatable that they cost a bit more than a normal
          application.

          Take care and I hope you find this group to be as
          informative to you as I have found it to be for me.

          Thanks,
          Karey

          --- Chris ODonnell <csodonnell@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I am new here and curious to what low-vision
          > computer users are doing.
          > I don't know how "low" my vision is as compared to
          > others, but sure
          > is far from "high" -- I do glaucoma with some vision
          > loss (and plenty
          > of astigmatism, you simply aren't living life until
          > you have
          > astigmatism :-). I am currently the maintainer of
          > Virtual Magnifying
          > Glass from Sourceforge,
          > http://sourceforge.net/projects/magnifier --
          > which is perhaps a "lighter-duty" vision helper app,
          > but it's free of
          > course, and I can add whatever I want to this app.
          > Fun, fun, fun.
          > Why in heck do the "products" cost hundreds of
          > dollars? Perhaps they
          > do, in fact, contain some expensive features?
          > (pardon the blatant
          > sarcasm :-)
          >
          > Anyway, I'm really glad this group is here,
          > hopefully I can learn a
          > lot.
          >
          > Kind regards,
          > -Chris O
          > "Waging the war against small fonts."

          =====
          Thank you,
          Have a Great Day!

          Karey Carbaugh

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Colin Holloway
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2005
            Hi Dougie
            Maybe David Fullerton at Accessequality can help you, his contact details
            are as follows. He is based in Scotland.

            David Fullerton

            Accessequality.com
            Iona House, Midlothian, EH20 9NN
            Tel: +44 (0131) 440 3535
            Website: www.accessequality.com

            Email: info@...

            and www.davidfullerton.com

            Regards

            Colin

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 8, 2005
              Hi Chris,

              I think the most important feature we miss in all the freeware
              magnifiers is full screen magnification and input caret tracking.

              Regards Peter Verhoeven

              Chris ODonnell wrote:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > I am new here and curious to what low-vision computer users are doing.
              > I don't know how "low" my vision is as compared to others, but sure
              > is far from "high" -- I do glaucoma with some vision loss (and plenty
              > of astigmatism, you simply aren't living life until you have
              > astigmatism :-). I am currently the maintainer of Virtual Magnifying
              > Glass from Sourceforge, http://sourceforge.net/projects/magnifier --
              > which is perhaps a "lighter-duty" vision helper app, but it's free of
              > course, and I can add whatever I want to this app. Fun, fun, fun.
              > Why in heck do the "products" cost hundreds of dollars? Perhaps they
              > do, in fact, contain some expensive features? (pardon the blatant
              > sarcasm :-)
              >
              > Anyway, I'm really glad this group is here, hopefully I can learn a
              > lot.
              >
              > Kind regards,
              > -Chris O
              > "Waging the war against small fonts."

            • Chris O'Donnell
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 9, 2005
                Peter,

                You desire these two features? That's great, I will put those into my
                freeware magnifier, soon then. It seems I have a nice pile of feature
                requests already on my app, however I would implement the
                visual-helper features before graphics-releated features, of course.

                Many thanks for your input!
                -Chris O

                On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:42:59 +0100, Peter Verhoeven <pav@...> wrote:
                > Hi Chris,
                >
                > I think the most important feature we miss in all the freeware
                > magnifiers is full screen magnification and input caret tracking.
                >
                > Regards Peter Verhoeven
                >

                > Chris ODonnell wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello all,
                > >
                > > I am new here and curious to what low-vision computer users are doing.
                > > I don't know how "low" my vision is as compared to others, but sure
                > > is far from "high" -- I do glaucoma with some vision loss (and plenty
                > > of astigmatism, you simply aren't living life until you have
                > > astigmatism :-). I am currently the maintainer of Virtual Magnifying
                > > Glass from Sourceforge, http://sourceforge.net/projects/magnifier --
                > > which is perhaps a "lighter-duty" vision helper app, but it's free of
                > > course, and I can add whatever I want to this app. Fun, fun, fun.
                > > Why in heck do the "products" cost hundreds of dollars? Perhaps they
                > > do, in fact, contain some expensive features? (pardon the blatant
                > > sarcasm :-)
                > >
                > > Anyway, I'm really glad this group is here, hopefully I can learn a
                > > lot.
                > >
                > > Kind regards,
                > > -Chris O
                > > "Waging the war against small fonts."
                > >
                > > The Screen Magnifiers Homepage
                > >
                > > http://www.magnifiers.org

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Chris ODonnell
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 9, 2005
                  Hi Karey,

                  I am glad that you are able to have your profession with very low
                  vision -- it's quite encouraging.

                  As far as ZoomText pricing goes, I really should examine their
                  features vs. price before spouting off in such a manner :-) but their
                  $395 for their latest version doesn't sit well with me.

                  Likewise, I have been writing code for many years, professionally at
                  10 now. I'm also glad that your current mission is with websites and
                  developers of websites, I think this is very important.

                  Anyways, thanks for your comments,
                  -Chris O

                  --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@y...>

                • Karey Carbaugh
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 9, 2005
                    Chris,

                    Which Magnifier did you develop? I (and perhaps
                    others) would be interested in checking it out.

                    =====
                    Thank you,
                    Have a Great Day!

                    Karey Carbaugh

                    The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                    http://my.yahoo.com
                  • Chris O'Donnell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 10, 2005
                      Hi Karey,

                      This is Virtual Magnifying Glass project at sourceforge. Harry Pyy
                      originally started this a while back, but has "retired" more or less
                      from the project. I have been adding features since last July.

                      Hopefully, with Peter's suggestions, this tool can be a little more
                      useful for people who have more than just slight visual impairements.

                      Thanks,
                      -Chris O

                    • Karey Carbaugh
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 10, 2005
                        Thanks Chris,

                        Is this available off of the Magnifiers homepage? I
                        am currently using ZoomText, but am always interested
                        in checking out magnifiers, especially the freeware
                        ones, so that I can refer friends to them that may not
                        be able to afford ZoomText. Plus sometimes I need to
                        use a magnifier on a system when I am not at my own
                        computer and don't have ZoomText.

                        Thanks again,

                        === message truncated ===

                        =====
                        Thank you,
                        Have a Great Day!

                        Karey Carbaugh

                        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                      • Chris O'Donnell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 10, 2005
                          Yes, it appears that an older version is on magnifiers.org, in Screen
                          Magnifiers : Windows Freeware and Shareware, then on page 3 from this
                          list. There are *lots* of these apps, but I think that's a good
                          thing.

                          Also, it can be downloaded from here:
                          http://sourceforge.net/projects/magnifier (138kB).

                          Thanks,