Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText and Windows XP Home

  • Frank Siedlaczek
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2005
      John H. Luttenberger, III wrote:

      >Good afternoon,

      Hi John!

      >Will my ZoomText Xtra 7.11, which I've been running for years with Windows
      >98, work with Windows XP, Service Pack 2, or will I have to bite the bullet
      >and upgrade to the latest version of ZoomText?

      I had to make the same decision. As far as I have tested it, ZT7.11 does
      a very good job on XP machines. Its performance is still better than
      that of version 8.x. There are a few, very few drawbacks. One is, that
      ZT is not quite compatible with GDI+ applications, such as newer MS
      Office products. GDI existed on win98 already, but GDI+ is different. It
      causes screen corruptions and bleed-throughs when e.g. Word2000 paints
      its pages when viewing documents containing images.

      But apart from that, ZT 7.11 is - in my opinion - a very good choice for
      winXP, especially, if you already own a copy!

      I recommend that you get yourself a copy of a reliable hard disk imaging
      program, such as Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. Make an image shot
      of the system partition and store the image in a safe place. Then go
      ahead and try ZT 7.11 for a while. If I remember correctly you have to
      install some middleware driver chain files in order to have ZT 7 run on XP.

      If it turns out that you would rather like to use ZT 8.x, you can always
      restore the above-mentioned image and you can install ZT 8 on a virgin,
      ZT middleware driver-free system.

      If you can manage that, it's better to give it a try than to do
      "recommended" things...

      If you have further questions, post a follow-up to the list and we'll
      see what we can do :-)

      Regards
      Frank
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
        Hi Frank,

        The GDI+ issues are resolved in ZT 7.11 [1] and WinXP SP1 [2]. I haven't
        experienced any drawbacks with ZT 7.11 and WinXP SP1/2. Middleware driver
        chain files don't sound familiar to me. Can you explain what they are and
        why you need them? Thanks!

        Kind regards,
        Bas

        [2] http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q319261

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
          Hi!

          > The GDI+ issues are resolved in ZT 7.11 [1] and WinXP SP1 [2]. I haven't
          > experienced any drawbacks with ZT 7.11 and WinXP SP1/2. Middleware
          > driver chain files don't sound familiar to me. Can you explain what they
          > are and why you need them? Thanks!

          > [1] http://www.aisquared.com/support/KBdetail.cfm?ID=36

          As described in the MS knowledge base article referenced by the AiSquared KB
          article, all programs which are incapable of receiving the "GDI+
          Accessibility" private window message in their respective GDI+ Hook Window
          cannot be properly magnified by ZT 7.11. So this compatibility request
          message must be understood by the GDI+ application. In order for this to
          function properly, you need a version of that application that is new enough
          to be aware of that problem. I doubt that the GDI+ patch enables all GDI+
          applications to use GDI on request. Instead, each application has to provide
          a means to be told to use GDI instead of GDI+. So if you want to use older
          MS products, e.g. MS Office 2000 (it uses GDI+ but it does not have the
          above-mentioned accessibility support), you have to update to a more recent
          version of MS Office.

          That middleware thingy I mentioned is the DCI driver adaptor for ZT 7.x. You
          may have to install that prior to installing ZT on XP. But beware, I had
          difficulties to install ZT 8 after these drivers had been installed. You
          cannot reliably remove them later. Maybe something else was wrong or broken,
          but that's what I've experienced. ZT refused to install when it found these
          DCI drivers left-overs. Maybe this problem is fixed in the latest ZT
          release. I don't know.

          So, to avoid installation problems I recommended to create an image of the
          hard disk's contents before any version or driver of/for ZT is installed.
          Creating images from time to time is a good idea anyway for obvious reasons.
          I can live without repeatedly installing winXP :-)

          Hope that clarifies it a bit.

          Regards
          Frank

          --
          Sparen beginnt mit GMX DSL: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
        • word2jim@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2005
            In a message dated 01/26/2005 4:29:47 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            basca@... writes:

            GDI+ is different. It
            causes screen corruptions and bleed-throughs when e.g. Word2000 paints
            its pages when viewing documents containing images.

            What do you mean "blead thru"? I think I get this even with ZT8.1 = it
            reads current document and what is behind it, blended together sometimes. Not
            just in Word!
            Jim H.
            PS Anyone experience extreamly small fonts in MS Update web-page? Any
            fixes?

          • Emilia Belserene
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
              Hello John
              If you use DocReader without speech you will hate version 8. In 7.11 the
              text scrolls smoothly from right to left in Line view or upward in Prompter
              view.. In 8.1 it jumps. Very unpleasant.. The smooth scrolling in
              Prompter view is a wonderful way to read text on the screen. As far as I
              know no other screen magnification product has it. AiSquared has said that
              they are considering putting it back. I wish they would hurry. Version 8
              has some nice features like AppReader and better edge smoothing, but no
              money from me until they give me back a proper DocReader