[magnifiers] keyboard navigation

  • word2jim@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hi all,
      I am partially sighted and use the mouse and keyboard for navigation.
      I have noticed a few places that are very hard to use with the keyboard.
      Is there any standards for accessability beyond the ADA? I know Microsoft
      has standards for allowing the Windows Logo on a product (but they do not follow
      these them-selves!) And there are suggestions for web-site creation. But I
      want to be specific here!

      1. The TAB key moves from field to field, control to control. I believe
      that the Arrow Keys are to move only among identical type controls. For example,
      if you are on a radio-button and repeatedly press the Down Arrow Key, you
      should end up on a radio-button (choice) in that same question. If you are in a
      List Box, or Drop Down List, or editing text; and press the Up Arrow several
      times, you should still be in that same control (list). Has anyone been
      confused by arrowing "into" a List Box or Edit Box? I have! It's hard to tell with
      magnification, where I am, if the fonts and colors are the same inside and
      outside a sprawling list-box. Anyone thought about what the difference should
      be between the TAB and Arrow keys? If any? Show about Shift Tab?

      2. Ever been unable to read to the bottom of a Drop Down List (using
      keyBoard) because the item is activated (not just "selected" & hi-Lighted). Ever
      been annoyed by a screen changing (in whole or part) as you scroll thru a list
      just reading?

      .Jim H.