Re: [magnifiers] No-frills NY Times pages...

  • Kevin Brown
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 12, 2004
      If I change the ref to "rss.xsl" in the code to
      "http://www.bradsoft.com/styles/rss.xsl" I get it. Awesome! This XSLT
      stuff is sweet.

      Moises, if you want to be even more generous than you are already
      being, you could perhaps put the XSL file up on your site and change
      your code to ref that? I'm a bit of a neophyte to XSLT so forgive my
      ignorance.

      Cheers man, nice job, and thanks for sharing.

      Kevin

      On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:07:41 -0500, Kevin Brown <kb1381@...> wrote:
      > Thanks for sharing this neat idea Moises. I've been playing around
      > with RSS recently and although I've found it very interesting I must
      > confess I was kind of wondering what all the fuss is about. What a
      > neat use for it!
      >
      > As Amy says though, it does not appear to work. Has 'the Man' come
      > down on you? :)
      >
      > Kevin
      >

      > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:22:32 -0500, Moises Lejter <moilejter@...> wrote:
      > > I just set up a few pages to enable my dad to read articles from the NY
      > > Times easily - and I thought it might help people here, too. The NY
      > > Times offers access to their daily articles through RSS feeds, which
      > > have the advantage of being very simple - no multiple columns, images,
      > > ads, etc. Setting up access to the RSS feeds could be tricky, I guess,
      > > depending on the software one uses. The pages I set up for my dad,
      > > OTOH, give you a list of the sections to the NY Times, then a list of
      > > the day's articles for each section, then each article formatted for
      > > printing - which means again no columns, ads, etc...
      > >
      > > He's the only one who has tried this, via Home Page Reader - but it
      > > worked fine for him :-). If you guys would like to try it out, go here:
      > > http://www.software-smiths.com/rss/nyTimes/
      > >
      > > You may have to put my web site ( www.software-smiths.com ) on your
      > > trusted server list - these pages use an ActiveX component to translate
      > > the RSS feeds into plain HTML inside the browser. It should work with
      > > IE 5 and later.
      > >
      > > You will also need to register with the NY Times' web site first - so it
      > > does not ask you to log in, every time you visit one of the articles via
      > > these pages...
      > >
      > > Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any problems with it, or have
      > > any suggestions.
      > >
      > > Moises
      > >
      > > P.S> I think the NY Times won't mind - they allow non-commercial use of
      > > these RSS feeds, and I think this qualifies :-)
      > >

      > > The Screen Magnifiers Homepage
      > >
      > > http://www.magnifiers.org

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > >

      > > Get unlimited calls to
      > >
      > > U.S./Canada

    • Moises Lejter
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 13, 2004
        Peter Verhoeven wrote:

        >You can use free programs like rssreader at http://www.rssreader.com to
        >setup your favorite RSS feeds.

        You're right - though you may want to be careful to pick one that will
        play nice with your screen reader. In my dad's case, however, he uses
        Home Page Reader - so we needed HTML-based access to the RSS feeds ...
        (and I wanted to learn about XSLT, anyway ... :-) )

        Moises
      • Amy
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 13, 2004
          Hi Moses
          I hope I don't sound stupid, but I need some help. I went to the page for
          the rss. How does this work? Do, I just download and then what? Thanks for
          all of the help that you and everyone on this list..
          amy

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 13, 2004
            If you have Mozilla Firefox, check out the live bookmarks feature. You
            can have RSS feeds presented on your Firefox bookmarks. Of course the
            presentation may not work well with your screen reader, but to the
            extent that it does it's pretty cool.

            On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:43:11 -0500, Moises Lejter <moilejter@...> wrote:
            > Peter Verhoeven wrote:
            >
            > >You can use free programs like rssreader at http://www.rssreader.com to
            > >setup your favorite RSS feeds.
            > >
            > You're right - though you may want to be careful to pick one that will
            > play nice with your screen reader. In my dad's case, however, he uses
            > Home Page Reader - so we needed HTML-based access to the RSS feeds ...
            > (and I wanted to learn about XSLT, anyway ... :-) )
            >
            > Moises

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Moises Lejter
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 13, 2004
              Peter Verhoeven wrote:

              >You can use free programs like rssreader at http://www.rssreader.com to
              >setup your favorite RSS feeds.

              This is probably a more general solution... An advantage to the pages
              I've set up, OTOH, is that the articles themselves appear (once one
              navigates to a particular article) in the form suitable for printing
              that the web site offers. This page is simpler, in terms of formatting,
              and so easier to read (or for a screen reader to read conveniently).
              On the downside, I won't be creating pages for all RSS feeds out
              there... :-(

              Moises
            • Moises Lejter
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 13, 2004
                Do you like their rss.xsl transformation better than the one I use? (I
                did not write the one I use, either - just found it as an example on a
                web site out there... :-) ). The advantage to the ones I use now is
                that they request articles, once you get down to them, in print form (as
                supported in each site) - so they have less clutter, and are perhaps
                easier to read... I could take this other XSL file you found, and edit
                it the same way...

                Moises

              • Kevin Brown
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 13, 2004
                  Moises,

                  No, yours is great. To be honest, I'm more interested in learning from
                  and perhaps duplicating your efforts than in reading the NY Times. :)
                  Thanks again for sharing.

                  Kevin