Re: [magnifiers] Re: ZoomText Question

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
      On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:15:06 EST, cbblob@... wrote:

      >Hi: I use ZT Xtra 8.04 in Windows XP. I am trying to use DocReader and I
      >continually get an error message that says "No application cursor detected".
      >Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Thanks, Catherine

      Catherine,

      Hmmm Interesting. Have you e-mailed support@... about
      this? If not, i recomend doing so. :)

      -Paul.
    • cbblob@cs.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
        Paul: Yes, I did notify via e-mail. I was just hoping someone would have
        the answer sooner since this is the weekend. Thanks, Catherine

      • John Cunniff -- DeepSpace NetAdmin
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 16 9:13 AM
          Hello, Everybody!

          I have two questions for you.

          First, I have an office PC set up with ZoomText 9.0 installed. I
          wanted to use "Reverse Color" which is SHIFT+CTRL+C, and then, I
          read an e-mail, I am surprised that the fonts are the same in the
          normal color mode (for example, blue font stays the same as in
          Reverse). I am just curious, is it a new feature in ZoomText?

          Also, I checked About... And I have noticed that the software is
          a "15 user license" I wonder what does that means to me? Am I right,
          that means a company is only allowed 15 copies of a company's disk
          to 15 PCs for each user??

          Also, I want to inform you thatr I am using ZoomText
          Magnifiers/Reader version. And if I read an e-mail, I use
          alt+<ARROWS> and I hold down altogether, but it won't go faster. It
          stays slow speed. I have to press arrow between 4 and 20 times!!!!
          At home, I use ZoomText 7.11, I hold down for a less than a minute,
          it sped up just fine. It's weird. But I am experiencing to learn
          about ZoomText 9.0 myself.

          Also, FYI, at home, if i am in a reverse mode, font color changes
          from blue to yellow (see earlier message), that's why I am curious
          about why blue font color stays like that in normal mode but really
          in reverse? FYI, the background color is black and the font color is
          white just perfect, how weird is it?? It looks like an 3-D glasses
          to me. LOL.

          Well, I guess that is it for me. I must run to meet my ride home.

          Johnny :)
        • BruceHP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 16 5:09 PM
            >First, I have an office PC set up with ZoomText 9.0 installed. I
            wanted to use "Reverse Color" which is SHIFT+CTRL+C, and then, I
            read an e-mail, I am surprised that the fonts are the same in the
            normal color mode (for example, blue font stays the same as in
            >Reverse). I am just curious, is it a new feature in ZoomText?

            Shift-Ctrl-C does not reverse the color, it switches to what is set in
            Preferences and back. It's not a new feature.

            >Also, I checked About... And I have noticed that the software is
            a "15 user license" I wonder what does that means to me? Am I right,
            that means a company is only allowed 15 copies of a company's disk
            >to 15 PCs for each user??

            Nothing and no.

            >Also, I want to inform you thatr I am using ZoomText
            Magnifiers/Reader version. And if I read an e-mail, I use
            alt+<ARROWS> and I hold down altogether, but it won't go faster. It
            >stays slow speed. I have to press arrow between 4 and 20 times!!!!

            This is very strange as the Hotkey to change the reading rate is
            Ctrl-Numpad+ or Numpad-.

            ---===============
            Keep Shooting!
            BruceHP@...
            =================

              John Cunniff -- DeepSpace NetAdmin wrote:
              > Hello, Everybody!
              >
              > I have two questions for you.
              >
              > First, I have an office PC set up with ZoomText 9.0 installed. I
              > wanted to use "Reverse Color" which is SHIFT+CTRL+C, and then, I
              > read an e-mail, I am surprised that the fonts are the same in the
              > normal color mode (for example, blue font stays the same as in
              > Reverse). I am just curious, is it a new feature in ZoomText?

              Ctrl-Shift-C does not necessarily do what you have in mind. Please check
              ZT's reverse video options and set them so that a request to invert
              things achieves exactly what you want, i.e. total color inversion (black
              => white, blue => yellow, ...). At the moment it seems to do just the
              'contrast inversion' or something alike. I don't know right now what it
              is called in ZT 9. I don't use it on this computer.

              > Also, I want to inform you thatr I am using ZoomText
              > Magnifiers/Reader version. And if I read an e-mail, I use
              > alt+<ARROWS> and I hold down altogether, but it won't go faster. It
              > stays slow speed. I have to press arrow between 4 and 20 times!!!!
              > At home, I use ZoomText 7.11, I hold down for a less than a minute,
              > it sped up just fine. It's weird. But I am experiencing to learn
              > about ZoomText 9.0 myself.

              This scrolling feature (Alt-ArrowKeys) was changed from version 7.x to
              version 8.x. AiSquared never bothered to change it back or to make it
              configurable. It's a real pain.

              All in all, if you get ZT 7.11 to run under XP I'd see no desperate need
              to switch to version 8 or 9. Of course there have been some
              improvements, but for me personally, I don't need them and I keep using
              my old ZT 7.11.
              On the other hand, there can be situations where you won't be able to
              get ZT 7.11 to function properly with modern graphics cards or graphics
              cards device drivers - especially on-boad graphics chips - whereas ZT 8
              and above work smoothly together with these setups. But this is
              fortunately not the case on my machine and I'll keep on using ZT 7.11
              for the next few years if all goes well :-) I won't switch to Vista
              until ServicePack 1 or something similar will have been released by
              Microsoft. Let others do the lottery business ;-)

              cu!
              Frank
            • John Cunniff
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 17 9:05 AM
                Hello, Frank!

                Thank you very much for your great reply. Smile. I am glad that you are
                in the same boat as me.

                First, thank you for explaining to me about reverse modes that ZT had
                changed from 7.11 to 8.x & above, yes, it is a pain in the neck for
                having to figure out what you would like the total reversion is. Oh
                well. So, I totally agree.

                Second, yes, I won't switch myself to 9.x unless I buys a new machine
                with a newer chips that ZT 7.11 did not recognize the newer chips.
                Unfortunately, at my work, they bought a new machine (I believe) which
                is HP. i have a beautiful monior, too, that's why my work installed
                ZoomText 9.0 instead of 7.11. Oh well. I accept that.

                I personally am not bothered upgrading ZoomText from 7.11 to 9.0 myself.
                I found this too complicated as Jose Herrera has mentioned a few months
                ago -- too much features! Oh well. But I will ask my VR (Vocational
                Rehabilitation) counselor if I can take a computer training at the local
                computer course center for the Blind so, I need to learn more stuff like
                how to work with ZoomText 9.0 for my work. It is a requirement for me to
                learn. I will see what my VR says.

                That is why I am in no rush for upgrading until near future. You are
                right. ZoomText 7.11 still works right now, no problem. And I agree with
                you, I won't be bothered to buy Windows Vista myself either. I'd prefer
                to stay with Windows XP Services Pack 2.

                Thank you, Frank and have a good day.

                John :)

              • BruceHP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 17 12:56 PM
                  >This scrolling feature (Alt-ArrowKeys) was changed from version 7.x to
                  version 8.x. AiSquared never bothered to change it back or to make it
                  >configurable. It's a real pain.

                  I don't know what changed from ZT7 to ZT8 or 9, but, ZT9 will scroll
                  with the command Alt-ArrowKeys and this is configurable under the
                  Tool/Hoy Key menu.

                  The silly notion that ZT9 has too many features is just that, silly!
                  Nearly all Apps have more features than any one user will use, but if
                  you don't need the feature just don't use it.

                  For those folks that haven't seen ZT9 running XFont, you should see it.
                  XFont is worth the difference even if you don't use any of ZT9's new
                  features. The new voice in the ZT9 Reader is also a major improvement.

                  Maybe we need an expert opinion on the graphic card thing, but I know
                  that ZT9 does shut off DirectX functions and is not using this graphic
                  card function.

                  Maybe it would be a good idea to read through the ZT Help file or at
                  least look at all of the menu items, not a bad idea with any new App,
                  when you start using a new version of ZT.

                  Keep Shooting!
                  BruceHP@...

                  from AOL at AOL.com.