For those that can't afford ZoomText

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
      There's always BigShot (which is basicly a scalled-down version of
      ZoomText). You can get a free trial here:

      http://aisquared.com/Products/BigShot/BSFreeTrial/BSFreeTrial.htm

      But I'd recomend just saving up your money and going with ZoomText since
      (as they say) you get what you pay for.

      -Paul.
    • Loy

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
          On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 15:24:24 -0400, "Loy" <loyrg@...> wrote:

          >Big Shot only magnifies 2X, which is not enough for most low vision users.

          Well if you don't want to spend money for a better quality product, you
          take what you can get.

          -Paul.
        • Kathy Seven Williams
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
            I was helping with a workshop for the Low Vision group over in Sequim. I
            downloaded several low cost programs to help enlarge the information for
            different computer applications.

            I was truly impressed by Web Eyes, to the point that I am buying it for my
            own use. I use JAWS personally, as my vision is way too limited to use it
            all the time for computer work. But Web Eyes works extremely well in
            conjunction with my JAWS 3.7U, and I am very happy for the option to use the
            enlarged images for forms, quick searches, and the like.

            I have used Zoomtext for many years, and for my needs, considering I just
            want the enlargement for web Browsing, Web Eyes is a much better deal.
            Sometimes you get a whole lot more for your lots more money than you
            actually want or need. Don't lose sight of that truth either.
          • Kathy Seven Williams
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
              fortunately it doens't have to be an all or nothing choice between getting
              what you need or spending what you don't have.
            • Pete Nalda
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
                On Oct 2, 2004, at 3:04 PM, Kathy Seven Williams wrote:

                > I was helping with a workshop for the Low Vision group over in Sequim.
                > downloaded several low cost programs to help enlarge the information
                > for
                > different computer applications.
                >
                > I was truly impressed by Web Eyes, to the point that I am buying it
                > for my
                > own use. I use JAWS personally, as my vision is way too limited to
                > use it
                > all the time for computer work. But Web Eyes works extremely well in
                > conjunction with my JAWS 3.7U, and I am very happy for the option to
                > use the
                > enlarged images for forms, quick searches, and the like.
                >
                > I have used Zoomtext for many years, and for my needs, considering I
                > just
                > want the enlargement for web Browsing, Web Eyes is a much better deal.
                > Sometimes you get a whole lot more for your lots more money than you
                > actually want or need. Don't lose sight of that truth either.

                This cost thing is definitely interesting and that's one of the reasons
                that I'm happy I've made the switch to Mac OSX (yeah meant having to
                get another comp but my win box was pretty dead anyway). Zoom offers
                full screen magnification, tracks the cursor in all of the apple apps
                except terminal, and you get text to speech as well in all apps with
                just a left click of the mouse. And there'll even be more screen
                reading features in the next OS (10.4, Tiger), (called voice over
                which I'm previewing now) that will include typing echo, event
                descriptions and will work with keyboard navigation.

                As for windows, there is the cheaper alternative of using
                magnifier/narrator as well.

                "Egun On, Lagunak!!" (Basque For "G'day, Mates")
                Pete
              • Kathy Seven Williams
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
                  Unfortunately Microsoft's Narrator is only intended to give speech enough to
                  install a screen reader. While it will read the entire screen, this gives
                  too much information as we are saying more and more oftern these days. It
                  also doesn't provide useful navigation help to someone who really cannot use
                  their vision for computer use at all. While there are some low cost access
                  helps, Narrator from Microsoft is only a very minimal help at best.Better
                  than nothing? Well, maybe if you are, as I am, such a geek your oxygen comes
                  from your computer, but in the real world, not much help at all.
                • Pete Nalda
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
                    On Oct 2, 2004, at 4:26 PM, Kathy Seven Williams wrote:

                    > Unfortunately Microsoft's Narrator is only intended to give speech
                    > enough to
                    > install a screen reader. While it will read the entire screen, this
                    > gives
                    > too much information as we are saying more and more oftern these days.
                    > It
                    > also doesn't provide useful navigation help to someone who really
                    > cannot use
                    > their vision for computer use at all. While there are some low cost
                    > access
                    > helps, Narrator from Microsoft is only a very minimal help at
                    > best.Better
                    > than nothing? Well, maybe if you are, as I am, such a geek your oxygen
                    > comes
                    > from your computer, but in the real world, not much help at all.

                    Yeah but it's almost as capable as the screenreader part of ZtX2.