Re: [magnifiers] Pocket Viewer

  • Durham Regional Vision Centre
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi Kathy can I put your testimonial on my web page?drvc@...
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Kathy Seven Williams" <kseven@...>
      To: <magnifiers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 9:31 PM
      Subject: [magnifiers] Pocket Viewer

      > Just got a Pocket Viewer by Pulse Data. What a fun little gadget! They
      give
      > it credit for 7X magnification, but I have gotten better than 10X from it
      > without any trouble. I was particularly glad to see I can read Serial
      > Number labels and the like on the backs of electronics which I've been
      > unable to read even with my 12.5 X hand magnifier. I wouldn't want to
      read
      > a book with this handheld CCTV, but it's a delight for getting the low
      down
      > on the high calorie content of packages, and the washing instructions from
      > collar tags. I'm sure I'll find loads of other uses as well.

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
        On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:55:06 -0500, Sid Ordway <docsgo@...>
        wrote:

        >>Paul writes:
        >
        >>On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:31:59 -0700, "Kathy Seven Williams"
        >><kseven@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>>Just got a Pocket Viewer by Pulse Data. What a fun little gadget! They give
        >>>it credit for 7X magnification, but I have gotten better than 10X from it
        >>>without any trouble. I was particularly glad to see I can read Serial
        >>>Number labels and the like on the backs of electronics which I've been
        >>>unable to read even with my 12.5 X hand magnifier. I wouldn't want to read
        >>>a book with this handheld CCTV, but it's a delight for getting the low down
        >>>on the high calorie content of packages, and the washing instructions from
        >>>collar tags. I'm sure I'll find loads of other uses as well.
        >>
        >>Ooo! I have gadget-envy, Kathy! :)
        >>
        >>-Paul.
        >>

        >>The Screen Magnifiers Homepage
        >>
        >>http://www.magnifiers.org

        >>Yahoo! Groups Links
        >>

        >Paul, why do you put your text at the bottom of the previous text?

        Erm... Because that is the standard way to quote e-mails and reply to
        them. Top-Posting is considered bad forum

        -Paul.
      • Leslie P Peterson
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
          kathy,

          Yes, I like PocketViewer very much. My understanding it is not great for
          the bookworm readers. I also was disappointed that I can not use it
          outdoor during the day hours because I can not see on the screen unless I
          am in the dark.

          Yes, it is worth to have better than glass magifier. Sometime I forget
          to bring it with me then I felt helpless. Ofcourse, I must have it until
          I can not see anymore.

          Smiling,
          Leslie--
          <kseven@...> writes:
          > Just got a Pocket Viewer by Pulse Data. What a fun little gadget!
          > They give
          > it credit for 7X magnification, but I have gotten better than 10X
          > from it
          > without any trouble. I was particularly glad to see I can read
          > Serial
          > Number labels and the like on the backs of electronics which I've
          > been
          > unable to read even with my 12.5 X hand magnifier. I wouldn't want
          > to read
          > a book with this handheld CCTV, but it's a delight for getting the
          > low down
          > on the high calorie content of packages, and the washing
          > instructions from
          > collar tags. I'm sure I'll find loads of other uses as well.

          > --------------------~-->
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8vOslB/TM

        • Sid Ordway
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
            Is the "Pocket Viewer" color or black & white?

            >Leslie P Peterson writes:

            >kathy,
            >
            >Yes, I like PocketViewer very much. My understanding it is not great for
            >the bookworm readers. I also was disappointed that I can not use it
            >outdoor during the day hours because I can not see on the screen unless I
            >am in the dark.
            >
            >Yes, it is worth to have better than glass magifier. Sometime I forget
            >to bring it with me then I felt helpless. Ofcourse, I must have it until
            >I can not see anymore.
            >
            >Smiling,
            >Leslie--
            >On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:31:59 -0700 "Kathy Seven Williams"
            ><kseven@...> writes:
            >> Just got a Pocket Viewer by Pulse Data. What a fun little gadget!
            >> They give
            >> it credit for 7X magnification, but I have gotten better than 10X
            >> from it
            >> without any trouble. I was particularly glad to see I can read
            >> Serial
            >> Number labels and the like on the backs of electronics which I've
            >> been
            >> unable to read even with my 12.5 X hand magnifier. I wouldn't want
            >> to read
            >> a book with this handheld CCTV, but it's a delight for getting the
            >> low down
            >> on the high calorie content of packages, and the washing
            >> instructions from
            >> collar tags. I'm sure I'll find loads of other uses as well.

            >> --------------------~-->
            >> $9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
            >> http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8vOslB/TM
            >> --------------------------------------------------------------------~->
            >

            >> The Screen Magnifiers Homepage
            >>
            >> http://www.magnifiers.org

            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            ---
            Dr. Sidney Ordway JD, Ph.D
            BLINDED VETERANS ASSOCIATION
            Member, Board of Directors
            National Treasurer
            President, South Texas Regional Group

            Phone: (210) 657-0059
            mailto:docsgo@...
          • Pete Nalda
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
              On Oct 1, 2004, at 8:01 AM, Paul wrote:

              > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:55:06 -0500, Sid Ordway <docsgo@...>
              > wrote:
              >>>
              >> Paul, why do you put your text at the bottom of the previous text?
              >
              > Erm... Because that is the standard way to quote e-mails and reply to
              > them. Top-Posting is considered bad forum

              Yep on Usenet they'll kill ya for top posting. :)

              > -Paul.

              "Egun On, Lagunak!!" (Basque For "G'day, Mates")
              Pete
            • Paul
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
                On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:56:01 -0500, Pete Nalda <nalda@...>
                wrote:

                >On Oct 1, 2004, at 8:01 AM, Paul wrote:
                >
                >> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:55:06 -0500, Sid Ordway <docsgo@...>
                >> wrote:
                >>>>
                >>> Paul, why do you put your text at the bottom of the previous text?
                >>
                >> Erm... Because that is the standard way to quote e-mails and reply to
                >> them. Top-Posting is considered bad forum
                >
                >Yep on Usenet they'll kill ya for top posting. :)

                Well yeah, that too! lol! :)

                -Paul.
              • Kathy Seven Williams
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
                  Yes, I've run across lists that don't like top posting, and others that
                  demand the full thread be quoted over and over again. But I think we can all
                  think frugally and be considerate of our particular readership and not force
                  everyone to page through screen after screen of giant text before we get to
                  the meat of the message as it were.
                • Kathy Seven Williams
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
                    Outside in the daytime is always too bright for me to see much of anything.
                    However, creating a shaded shelter with your jacket or hat brim improves
                    things a bit. also using the white on black rather than black on white is
                    easier to see in brighter light settings.
                  • Nick Donaldson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
                      Hello kathy.

                      Do you have the black and white version or the colour version. I heard
                      that Pulse Data has a colour verion of the Pocket Viewer now and that
                      its price was coming down from being a whole lot more than the black and
                      white.
                    • Leslie P Peterson
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
                        Kathy,

                        yes, that was i did as you said. It was very difficult to read the bus
                        schedule time at the shelter in the day time.

                        Leslie--

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
                          I've got the black and white version. It was the demo unit for a local
                          salesman. He prefers the one from Freedom Scientific with all its bells and
                          whistles and color, so he doesn't show this one any more. I was thrilled
                          since I don't see color and can barely hear bells.
                        • Leslie P Peterson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 2, 2004
                            It is B&W and W&B, no color.

                            NOTE: there are a few new pocket cctv like PocketViewer. I like one but I
                            forget its name. It is better than PocketViewer. Yes, it has color, too

                            Leslie--
                            On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:26:36 -0500 Sid Ordway <docsgo@...> writes:

                            > Is the "Pocket Viewer" color or black & white?
                            >
                            > >Leslie P Peterson writes:
                            >
                            > >kathy,
                            > >
                            > >Yes, I like PocketViewer very much. My understanding it is not
                            > great for
                            > >the bookworm readers. I also was disappointed that I can not use
                            > it
                            > >outdoor during the day hours because I can not see on the screen
                            > unless I
                            > >am in the dark.
                            > >
                            > >Yes, it is worth to have better than glass magifier. Sometime I
                            > forget
                            > >to bring it with me then I felt helpless. Ofcourse, I must have it
                            > until
                            > >I can not see anymore.
                            > >
                            > >Smiling,
                            > >Leslie--
                            > >On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:31:59 -0700 "Kathy Seven Williams"
                            > ><kseven@...> writes:
                            > >> Just got a Pocket Viewer by Pulse Data. What a fun little gadget!
                            >
                            > >> They give
                            > >> it credit for 7X magnification, but I have gotten better than 10X
                            >
                            > >> from it
                            > >> without any trouble. I was particularly glad to see I can read
                            > >> Serial
                            > >> Number labels and the like on the backs of electronics which I've
                            >
                            > >> been
                            > >> unable to read even with my 12.5 X hand magnifier. I wouldn't
                            > want
                            > >> to read
                            > >> a book with this handheld CCTV, but it's a delight for getting
                            > the
                            > >> low down
                            > >> on the high calorie content of packages, and the washing
                            > >> instructions from
                            > >> collar tags. I'm sure I'll find loads of other uses as well.
                            > >>

                            > >> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            > >> --------------------~-->
                            > >> $9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
                            > >> http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8vOslB/TM

                            > >> The Screen Magnifiers Homepage
                            > >>
                            > >> http://www.magnifiers.org

                            > >> To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
                            > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                            > >>

                            > >The Screen Magnifiers Homepage
                            > >
                            > >http://www.magnifiers.org

                            > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                            > >

                            > ---
                            > Dr. Sidney Ordway JD, Ph.D
                            > BLINDED VETERANS ASSOCIATION
                            > Member, Board of Directors
                            > National Treasurer
                            > President, South Texas Regional Group
                            >
                            > Phone: (210) 657-0059
                            > mailto:docsgo@...

                            > --------------------~-->
                            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8vOslB/TM

                          • Kathy Seven Williams
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 2, 2004
                              My pocket Viewer is Black and White. I have heard there is a color version
                              as well. I haven't done the research.
                            • Kathy Seven Williams
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 2, 2004
                                As I said, the pocket CCTV that Freedom Scientific is selling is a color
                                version with some contrast adjustment as well. This is the one that took
                                the place of the Pocket Viewer for the salesman I bought my demo unit from.
                                In my personal opinion it wasn't better, which is why I bought the Pocket
                                Viewer. It has color. I don't see color. Many people with central vision
                                loss don't see color. It was also a bit larger I think, and has this little
                                tilting piece at the camera which lets you turn the camera on, and also
                                raise it up to do a bit of signing or highlighting under the camera. I
                                found I ran out of hands with both units, but I liked how the Pocket Viewer
                                worked better. As with everything else in access technology, it's totally
                                individual.
                              • Scott R. Burch
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 2, 2004
                                  Is that Pico from Telesensory?

                                  That is one I have just ordered. Yes, it has a color mode, as well as a B&W
                                  mode, plus some new updated features.

                                  Scott
                                  www.scottburch.info
                                • Leslie P Peterson
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 3, 2004
                                    Scott,

                                    yes, I know it. I like it, too. But it is not "pocket CCTV". I also
                                    have MaxEye portable CCTV from German. I like it because it is LED
                                    display. yes it is only one which has the LED display but it is not more
                                    produce. But I use it fading because I use PocketViewer more and more
                                    because it is easy to carry with me.

                                    Leslie--
                                    On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:09:56 -0400 "Scott R. Burch"
                                    <scott.burch@...> writes:

                                    > Is that Pico from Telesensory?
                                    >
                                    > That is one I have just ordered. Yes, it has a color mode, as well
                                    > as a B&W
                                    > mode, plus some new updated features.
                                    >
                                    > Scott
                                    > www.scottburch.info

                                    > --------------------~-->
                                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8vOslB/TM

                                  • Katey Glass
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 4, 2004
                                      I was at my state Convention of the NFB this weekend and Pulse Data rep was there & yes there is a color version of Pocket Viewer coming out.

                                      I have the QuickLook and love it.

                                      Katey
                                      My pocket Viewer is Black and White. I have heard there is a color version
                                      as well. I haven't done the research.

                                    • Charlie Danger
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 6, 2004
                                        Hi all,

                                        Just while we're on the subject you might be interested to seem my
                                        comparison of the Pico and the Quicklook on my website (www.senit.org). I
                                        should be getting hold of a Tieman pocket magnifier next Friday (not the
                                        traveller) so I hope to review this too.

                                        The site is generally aimed at technology for special educational needs, but
                                        it has a fairly wide audience.

                                        Charlie
                                        http://www.senit.org