RE: [magnifiers] Re: Alternative to the Mouse

  • Mike Hill
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 27, 2000
      Hi Peter,

      >In Lunar you can press right control and right shift in conjunction with >the arrow keys. This will accellerate the scroll quickly in the >appropirate direction.

      As fas as I can figure out it is CONTROL+ARROW. And it does the same as the scroll feature in ZoomText? Pressing RIGHT CONTROL+RIGHT SHIFT + ARROW causes the magnified view to move a bit, or did I something wrong?
      BTW: the first thing I did after starting Lunar is changing the Hotkeys for manual scroll from the right to the left, because pressing three keys with one hand is very much for me? Also the distance between the control key and the arrow keys is too large. How can somone press RIGHT CONTROL + NUMPAD 9?

      CONTROL + ARROW does a simlar thing to ZT's ALT + ARROW. We choose right control because if you use ALT, you can't pan down a menu because it will close the moment you press ALT. Also LEFT CONTROL is usually used to move a word at a time in your documents.

      You need to press RIGHT CONTROL+RIGHT SHIFT + ARROW and keep all three keys pressed. The scrolling will accelerate until you release a key. Also, the speed it accelerates at may be affected by you keyboard repeat rate.

      You are right that it's difficult to press some of the combinations, but we had to set them to something by default. On most standard keyboards you can press the right control and right shift keys at the same time with only the side of your thumb.

      In any case, you can change the keys to anything you like. What do you think the default keys should be? The problem is that we wanted to keep the key presses consistent across all of our products and Supernova uses LEFT CONTROL and the numeric pad for various speech functions as well.

      As an alternative to the mouse, have you tried a trackball or a touchpad? These have the advantage that you can operate them with only your fingers as you don't have to move your arm or wrist much. Some laptops also have a little touch preasure sensitive joystick in the middle of the keyboard (although I hate those things). I know you can get trackballs and touchpads for desktops but I don't know about joysticks!

      Mike.
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 27, 2000
        Hi Mike,

        At 14:10 27-07-2000 +0100, you wrote:

        >CONTROL + ARROW does a simlar thing to ZT's ALT + ARROW. We choose right
        >control because if you use ALT, you can't pan down a menu because it will
        >close the moment you press ALT.

        In ZoomText there is an option that you can check so that menus are not
        closed if you pan in them, but you are right that the LEFT ALT key causes
        keyboard conflicts. In Internet Explorer and Netscape left ALT + ARROW can
        cuase the loading of a previous or next web page.
        And if you realy want to go to a previous or next page by using the
        keyboard you must turn magnification in ZoomText off.

        >You are right that it's difficult to press some of the combinations, but
        >we had to set them to something by default. On most standard keyboards you
        >can press the right control and right shift keys at the same time with
        >only the side of your thumb.
        >
        >In any case, you can change the keys to anything you like. What do you
        >think the default keys should be?

        I'm using the manual scroll feature very much, so I prefer ONE key at the
        left plus the arrow keys at the right and it is no problem to change them.
        I changed the RIGHT CONTROL in Lunar to the left control.

        >As an alternative to the mouse, have you tried a trackball or a touchpad?

        I'm thinking of a braille display in combination with screen magnification.
        Does somebody use such a combination?

        Regards Peter Verhoeven
      • Dave Eisler
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 27, 2000
          Hi Peter,

          You might consider a macro program that would translate any available key
          (perhaps on the numeric keypad) to ALT+ARROW . A single key could generate
          several ALT+ARROW's too.

          I use Macro Express. $35.

          www.macros.com

          -Dave Eisler
        • Kees Toxope�
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 29, 2000
            hi all!

            With ZoomText 7.0 you can click on the links of a homepage. Also you can
            scroll from the end of the page to the next page. I use level to so it is
            read to me. My books for my study are digitized, by my mother because the
            special librairy for visual impared people can't do it (a math problem). So
            I can listen to my books with DocReader

            regards Kees

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 31, 2000
              Hi Peter,

              I don't want to sound like I am pushing JAWS but I can see that it may
              offer some improvements over Doc Reader based on your note below. For one
              thing, if you use IE you can hit a key combination that puts all the links
              on the page in a box. You can then use your arrow key to scroll through
              them and hit enter when you want to go to a link. You can also hit a key
              combination that puts the web page into a single column. I'm not sure how
              well it works with tables. I think Window Eyes and IBM's Home Page Reader
              do the same things. This would save you a lot of scrolling with ZoomText.
              You can download a 30 day trial of JAWS from www.hj.com Unfortunately, it
              will not work with DocReader so you will either have to uninstall it or try
              JAWS on another PC. If you do this, I would suggest downloading JAWS
              first, then installing ZT. You will have to install ZT without DocReader.
              You may have to download a Level 1 copy of ZT from their web page in order
              to get a copy that does not contain Doc Reader. Hope this helps.

              Sherry Wells

              Peter Verhoeven <pav@...> on 07/27/2000 01:41:45 AM

              Please respond to magnifiers@egroups.com

              To: magnifiers@egroups.com
              cc:
              Subject: Re: [magnifiers] Re: Alternative to the Mouse

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 31, 2000
                Hi Sherry,

                The Web Accessories, that can be downloaded from my web site, add the same
                options to Internet Explorer.
                I prefer reading braille over speech and it seems that ZoomText is not very
                compatible with Jaws for braille support.
                But I shall try it in my evaluation process.

                Regards Peter Verhoeven

              • Kathy Seven Williams
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 31, 2000
                  Just to throw a new fish into the pond, you might want to check out ARTIC's
                  WinVision. they have good Braille support, and I always found it preferable
                  to other screen readers for speech because it has a "talking Cursor" that
                  is very accurate and easy to use. That is to say, as you move the mouse
                  cursor over the screen, all it moves over is spoken immediately making
                  using a mouse a very simple matter even for those who are totally blind.
                  Artic has a Screen Enlarger program that works in conjunction with
                  Winvision so they ought to be able to meet all your needs nicely. What they
                  don't have is a history of a particularly well kept web page, but they can
                  be found at

                  Http://www.artictech.com

                  Best of luck to you.

                  K7
                  What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have never been discovered.--Ralph
                  Waldo Emerson
                  Kathy7Williams@...
                  http://www.homestead.com/williamsworks/files/index.html
                • Thames, Doug
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 31, 2000
                    How about this for a load of crap?

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 31, 2000
                      Excuse me, Doug...I didn't see the part of the list description that
                      involved flaming. do you have a particular problem with me personally, or
                      with an alternative suggestion that may not be as familiar or high on the
                      PC (for either Politically correct or Popularity Contest) list as you may
                      wish. As an access technology specialist since 1988, I believe I have some
                      experience in the field, and can offer constructive suggestions with
                      integrity. As a firm believer in informed choice, however, I cannot choose
                      for anyone, but only inform.

                      At 03:03 PM 7/31/00 -0400, you wrote:
                      >How about this for a load of crap?

                      "While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done, it was done."
                      Helen Keller

                      K7 (Kathy Seven Williams)
                      Kathy7Williams@...
                      http://homestead.com/williamsworks/index.html
                    • Thames, Doug
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 31, 2000
                        I'm very sorry. I sent that by mistake. I was typing a message and I
                        typed into the wrong place. Please accept may apologies.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2000
                          Kathy,
                          I posted an apology yesterday, but I don't see it showing up so
                          I am sending another. My response to your message was an error. I had
                          several things going on at once and I accidentally replied to the wrong
                          e-mail. Again, I am very sorry. I hope I have not been kicked off the
                          list.
                          Sincerely,
                          Doug Thames