Re: [magnifiers] Second Monitor

  • Ed Aziz
    Message 1 of 18 , May 3 10:14 AM
      Hi Joe and group
      I am using an ATI All In Wonder Radion 9600 8x AGP and it works great. It has all the bells and whistles, dual vga, tv and FM, vidio and audio in and output. I think you can use a tv as your second monitor.
      Not familiar with the Matrox board.
      Ebay is a good source of information on what boards are available, do a search for dual monitor video cards.
      Not famiar with Linux, only DOS and Windows.
      Is the Matrox card part of a package, you said it had a magnifier program?
      Ed

      Joe Clever <jcvous@...> wrote:
      Hi Ed and Listers,

      Can you tell us what dual head (monitor) video card you are using under XP Pro? I have been looking at the Matrox cards with dual output. They seem to have some included magnifier software, and they are Linux friendly.

      Joe

      Ed Aziz <not2old2learnmore@...> wrote:
      Hi
      I just tuned in to your discussion and would like to tell you what I am using. I am 82 years old and have macular degeneration in both eyes, leagally blind. Very hard to get by when my second eye went bad about 4 years ago. I have been building and using computers since 1975 and had a pretty good idea what might help to enable me to use my computer again. I put together a computer using Win 98 whitch had the capability of supporting 2 video cards and dual monitors as long as you used the video cards that Micosopft sp[ecified. Win98 also had a magnifier program that I used. I used a 17" and a 21" as my second display. With dual monitors enabled and the desktop extended across both displays, I loaded the magnier and it loads opn the primary display, the 17". The magnify window size is adjustable and movable. I dragged the magnier window to the 21" screen and then I sized the window to fill the screen. The magnification is adjustable from 2 to 9X. For me, 5X seems to work
      fine. The Internet or any application is fully displayed on the 17" on my left and where ever I move the curser, the magnified image is displayed on the 21" screen directly in front of me. This setup is great as you dont cover any of the aplication with the magnier window.
      About 3 months ago I put together a new computer using WinXP Pro, which uses a singel video card that handels dual monitors. The magnifier program works great, enough bells and whisels for mos applications.
      Hope this helps. Email me if I can be of any help.
      Ed Aziz

    • ROBERT K SHELLY
      Message 2 of 18 , May 5 8:00 PM
        Mal, I thank you should know that all your messages got to the list and all
        of its members. The way I beleave it works is that you send in a message
        and then it is sent to all members of the list including you. Good luck on
        using this list.

        Robert Shelly
        Message 3 of 18 , May 7 11:47 AM
          Hi Ed and List,

          The Matrox cards come with utility software and drivers that seem to allow for magnification on the second monitor. I have ordered an older (and therefore much cheaper) Matrox G450 for $30 USD. I will give it a test drive and let you know once I have a little first-hand experience with it. Unfortunately, I don't have a desktop with Win XP, so I can only test it under Win 98SE. Their newer video cards seem to have these magnification features, as well.

          Matrox has a nice testamonial's page that tells how different individuals, including visually impaired, use their dual monitor setups.
          http://www.matrox.com/mga/multidisplay/md_testimonials.cfm