Re: [magnifiers] Excel and Access

  • Michael Wigle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2000
      > Does anyone have experience using screen magnification with Excel and
      >Access? Apparently Zoomtext and Magic cause "Illegal operation" notices in
      >Excel.

      I have used ZoomText in both Excel and Access. It works fine. Illegal
      operations occur quite commonly in the Microsoft environment. They are
      caused by tiny mistakes in programming. Those mistakes can be found in many
      Microsoft products as well as other commercial software. It's more than
      likely that the Illegal operation errors you got using Excel or Access with
      ZoomText would have occurred without ZoomText running as well.

      Michael Wigle
      Computer Access Technician
      Cincinnati Association for the Blind
    • Emilia Belserene
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2000
        At 06:31 AM 7/3/00 -0600, you wrote:
        >I have used ZoomText in both Excel and Access. It works fine. Illegal
        >operations . . .occur quite commonly in the Microsoft environment. ...It's
        >more than
        >likely that the Illegal operation errors you got using Excel or Access with
        >ZoomText would have occurred without ZoomText running as well.
        Thanks, Michael, but some problems occur with Zoomtext and not without it:
        * Format/Cell/Numbers
        * Edit/GoTo
        * Insert/Chart.
        Aisquared Support says that it is working on them. Have you tried
        them? Perhaps you have found some setting that avoids these problems.
      • Michael Wigle
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2000
          >Thanks, Michael, but some problems occur with Zoomtext and not without it:
          >* Format/Cell/Numbers
          >* Edit/GoTo
          >* Insert/Chart.
          >Aisquared Support says that it is working on them. Have you tried
          >them? Perhaps you have found some setting that avoids these problems.

          I just tried out all those thing using ZT 7.03.01 and had no problems. I'm
          using all the default settings. Not sure why it works fine for me and not
          for you. I'm using a pentium with 64 MB RAM and Windows 98 SE. I'm also
          using Office 2000. I just tried it with Office 97 and got the illegal
          operation when trying to insert a chart. Looks like Office 2000 is more
          stable with ZT. However, I didn't get the illegal operation with the insert
          chart or format cell numbers so it's hard to say what's really going on.
          Talk to you later.

          Michael Wigle
          Computer Access Technician
          Cincinnati Association for the Blind
        • Jim Edwards
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2000
            Some of the problems that accessibility aids have with office apps are the
            result of their use of MSAA to obtain information about the particular
            Office application. With ZoomText (and probably others as well), try
            disabling MSAA support when doing the problem operations. You toggle MSAA
            support on and off using the CTRL-SHIFT-A hotkey combination. The downside
            of this, of course, is that there is fewer items being spoken in OFfice apps
            when MSAA is disabled.

            jim

            >Thanks, Michael, but some problems occur with Zoomtext and not without it:
            >* Format/Cell/Numbers
            >* Edit/GoTo
            >* Insert/Chart.
            >Aisquared Support says that it is working on them. Have you tried
            >them? Perhaps you have found some setting that avoids these problems.

            I just tried out all those thing using ZT 7.03.01 and had no problems. I'm
            using all the default settings. Not sure why it works fine for me and not
            for you. I'm using a pentium with 64 MB RAM and Windows 98 SE. I'm also
            using Office 2000. I just tried it with Office 97 and got the illegal
            operation when trying to insert a chart. Looks like Office 2000 is more
            stable with ZT. However, I didn't get the illegal operation with the insert
            chart or format cell numbers so it's hard to say what's really going on.
            Talk to you later.

            Michael Wigle
            Computer Access Technician
            Cincinnati Association for the Blind

            Explore the popular High-End Room -
            Go To Where The Smart People Shop-uBid.com
            http://click.egroups.com/1/6141/9/_/292589/_/962802552/

          • Emilia Belserene
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2000
              At 04:06 PM 7/5/00 -0400, Jim Edwards wrote:
              >Some of the problems that accessibility aids have with office apps are the
              >result of their use of MSAA to obtain information about the particular
              >Office application. With ZoomText (and probably others as well), try
              >disabling MSAA support when doing the problem operations. You toggle MSAA
              >support on and off using the CTRL-SHIFT-A hotkey combination. The downside
              >of this, of course, is that there is fewer items being spoken in OFfice apps
              >when MSAA is disabled.

              Thanks, Jim. Disabling MSAA fixes two of the three problems. Insert/chart
              is still "Illegal." Michael Wigle had found this to be the only one bad on
              his system. Did you, Michael, have MSAA disabled? Formal\Cells\Numbers and
              Edit\GoTo had been failing, perhaps, because the system didn't wait for an
              entry but"thought" you had already made the entry (and found it to be
              invalid). I wonder if MSAA uis directed, sometimes, not to wait. The
              actual message I was getting was not "Illegal" but rather "Your entry
              cannot be used." Infuriating when no entry had been made.