Re: [magnifiers] Second Monitor

  • Amy Bower
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 26, 2004
      Mal - I would like to hear any responses you get to the dual monitor
      question. I have the same need for a different purpose. I need to give
      frequent powerpoint presentations, and it would be very helpful if I could
      view the presentation on one monitor magnified, and have the other normal
      for general viewing. I asked recently about this capability within Zoomtext,
      and tech support said maybe in version 9. Any other suggestions?

      Thanks.
      Amy

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 26, 2004
        Hi
        I just tuned in to your discussion and would like to tell you what I am using. I am 82 years old and have macular degeneration in both eyes, leagally blind. Very hard to get by when my second eye went bad about 4 years ago. I have been building and using computers since 1975 and had a pretty good idea what might help to enable me to use my computer again. I put together a computer using Win 98 whitch had the capability of supporting 2 video cards and dual monitors as long as you used the video cards that Micosopft sp[ecified. Win98 also had a magnifier program that I used. I used a 17" and a 21" as my second display. With dual monitors enabled and the desktop extended across both displays, I loaded the magnier and it loads opn the primary display, the 17". The magnify window size is adjustable and movable. I dragged the magnier window to the 21" screen and then I sized the window to fill the screen. The magnification is adjustable from 2 to 9X. For me, 5X seems to work
        fine. The Internet or any application is fully displayed on the 17" on my left and where ever I move the curser, the magnified image is displayed on the 21" screen directly in front of me. This setup is great as you dont cover any of the aplication with the magnier window.
        About 3 months ago I put together a new computer using WinXP Pro, which uses a singel video card that handels dual monitors. The magnifier program works great, enough bells and whisels for mos applications.
        Hope this helps. Email me if I can be of any help.
        Ed Aziz

        Mal - I would like to hear any responses you get to the dual monitor
        question. I have the same need for a different purpose. I need to give
        frequent powerpoint presentations, and it would be very helpful if I could
        view the presentation on one monitor magnified, and have the other normal
        for general viewing. I asked recently about this capability within Zoomtext,
        and tech support said maybe in version 9. Any other suggestions?

        Thanks.
        Amy

        > I have a second monitor connected to my Windows Xp professional
        computer. I
        > am able to drag files across to the sceond Monior but am unable to work
        on
        > bothe the first and second monitors
        > Why I need to work on both is because I have a tutor who usese the tirst
        > monitor to teach me..The Trouble is that he finds the first monitor
        impossible
        > to use with my magnification turned on, I cannot follow his instructions
        with
        > out magnification.
        > An ideal situation would be if he could work on the first coputor without
        > magnification and I could follow him on the sceond monitor with
        magnfication.
        > I would like to know what card or software would enable to overcome this
        > problem HOPE YOU CAN HELP
        > cheers
        > Mal Wall

      • Joe Clever

          Message 4 of 18 , May 3, 2004
            Hi
            I am trying to contact you, if this does not succeed wil try again
            Mal Wal

          • Amy Bower
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2004
              Mal - You have contacted me successfully.

              Amy

              > I am trying to contact you, if this does not succeed wil try again
              > Mal Wal

            • Frank Siedlaczek
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                > Mal - You have contacted me successfully.
                >
                > Amy

                Could you two please post the results of your conversation on the list,
                please? That's what a list is for: Asking questions and getting answers. For
                other people it's essential to find both the question and the answer on the
                list in order for it to be of any use. Don't spam the list, but don't make a
                secret out of the answer, please :-)

                Regards
                Frank

              • Amy Bower
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                  I will of course forward anything I learn to the list. The only responses
                  I've seen to the two monitor issue have been posted to the list. Mal and I
                  have not had any offline discussion of this issue. I think Mal was just
                  trying to contact me direclty, and I replied, not realizing that his inquiry
                  and my reply were both going to the list. My fault. Sorry.

                  Amy

                  > > Mal - You have contacted me successfully.
                  > >
                  > > Amy
                  >
                  > Could you two please post the results of your conversation on the list,
                  > please? That's what a list is for: Asking questions and getting answers.
                  For
                  > other people it's essential to find both the question and the answer on
                  the
                  > list in order for it to be of any use. Don't spam the list, but don't make
                  > secret out of the answer, please :-)
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > Frank
                  >
                  > --
                  > "Sie haben neue Mails!" - Die GMX Toolbar informiert Sie beim Surfen!
                  > Jetzt aktivieren unter http://www.gmx.net/info

                • Ed Aziz
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                    Hi Joe and group
                    I am using an ATI All In Wonder Radion 9600 8x AGP and it works great. It has all the bells and whistles, dual vga, tv and FM, vidio and audio in and output. I think you can use a tv as your second monitor.
                    Not familiar with the Matrox board.
                    Ebay is a good source of information on what boards are available, do a search for dual monitor video cards.
                    Not famiar with Linux, only DOS and Windows.
                    Is the Matrox card part of a package, you said it had a magnifier program?
                    Ed

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 4, 2004
                      Hi Guys
                      I appoligise tor my mistake in not using the proper proceedur to communicate
                      and hope to put it right now.
                      I have XP Pro and two monitors I am abel to drag files from Mon1 to Mon2,
                      but am unable to magnifier the file on Mon2
                      My tutor works on Mon1 without magnification, I want to follow his
                      directions on Mon2 magnified
                      I presume from your E mail that this may be possoble, I would like to know
                      how (step by step) I would appreciate any help you can offer.
                      Kindest Regards
                      Cheers
                      Mal Wal

                    • bladud973@aol.com

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 5, 2004
                            Hi
                            I have tryed to send a reply several times to the List,every time my E mail
                            is sent back to me. I am at a loss to understand what I may be doing wrong,
                            hope this one gets through.
                            Mal Wal

                          • bladud973@aol.com

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 5, 2004
                                Hi
                                I am trying to contact you, if this does not succeed wil try again
                                Mal Wal

                              • ROBERT K SHELLY
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 5, 2004
                                  Mal, I thank you should know that all your messages got to the list and all
                                  of its members. The way I beleave it works is that you send in a message
                                  and then it is sent to all members of the list including you. Good luck on
                                  using this list.

                                  Robert Shelly

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 7, 2004
                                    Hi Ed and List,

                                    The Matrox cards come with utility software and drivers that seem to allow for magnification on the second monitor. I have ordered an older (and therefore much cheaper) Matrox G450 for $30 USD. I will give it a test drive and let you know once I have a little first-hand experience with it. Unfortunately, I don't have a desktop with Win XP, so I can only test it under Win 98SE. Their newer video cards seem to have these magnification features, as well.

                                    Matrox has a nice testamonial's page that tells how different individuals, including visually impaired, use their dual monitor setups.
                                    http://www.matrox.com/mga/multidisplay/md_testimonials.cfm