Re: [magnifiers] Virtiual Magnifier

  • Justin R
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi Paul, Katey and all.
      I tried Windows magnifier both in win98 and XP Pro. I can't use it! it's
      just a long strip at the time with maginfication up to 8x the original
      screen view. Such a tiny portion of the screen magnified is useless to me
      and, I imagine useless to many V.I. I did hear that they are beefing up
      magnifier in longhorn. Not sure how that'll work but it'll be interesting
      to see what state magnifier will be in, in longhorn.

      Justin
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
        No, I didn't say XP's Magnifier was "good", I personally wldn't use it as it's very limiting. But it is there.

        Katey

        <kateyglass@...> wrote:

        >I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I did a Google.com search and this is what I found:
        >
        >http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/
        >
        >You also said you bought a new computer, if it has Windows XP on it XP also has a built in Magnifier. I haven't tried the one you are using, so I don't know how it compares, but I currently use ZoomText ver 8.1. Let me know if that helps you or if you have questions that I may be able to answer.
        >
        >Katey

        -Paul.

      • Ed Aziz
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 3, 2004
          Hi
          I was just reading your emails regarding the nagnifier programs and thaught I would pass along what I have found.
          I am 82 years old and am leagaly blind with nacular degeneration in both eyes. I have been using Windows Magnifier program in both Win98 and WinXP. The proram could be better but it has been very usable wioth my set up and works great.
          What I am using is a second monitor that I have the magnifier window on. I use a 17"
          screen that has the application on it and a 21" screen with a magnified X5 imaghe fillig the whole screen.
          Works great for me. Having both the magnifier window and the application on the same screen does a very poor job for me.
          Regards
          Ed Aziz

          <kateyglass@...> wrote:

          >I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I did a Google.com search and this is what I found:
          >
          >http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/
          >
          >You also said you bought a new computer, if it has Windows XP on it XP also has a built in Magnifier. I haven't tried the one you are using, so I don't know how it compares, but I currently use ZoomText ver 8.1. Let me know if that helps you or if you have questions that I may be able to answer.
          >
          >Katey

          -Paul.

        • Pete Nalda
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 4, 2004
            Yeah, I have to agree with Ed here and others that Windows magnifier
            isn't all that bad. It's certainly not great but I'd say in a pinch
            it's useable. I used it with XP (along with Narrator) while I was
            waiting to upgrade my Zoomtext up to 7.11 (so I could use it with XP).
            You have to adjust the window size to get it right but it's ok
            afterwards.

            Just my 2 cents.

            Egun On Lagunak (Basque for G'day, Mates)
            Pete Nalda

            ---
            Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

            ---
          • Frank Siedlaczek
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 5, 2004
              > Yeah, I have to agree with Ed here and others that Windows
              > magnifier isn't all that bad.

              Well the actual features are quite okay. I don't know the XP version yet.
              Did MS change the restriction that the magnifier is using a portion of the
              screen for displaying the magnified view?

              I cannot afford the screen space for the magnifier. I just want to see all
              in full screen magnified view. Just like a virutal window. In win98 the
              magnifier showed a grey area where the magnifier's window was positioned. This grey
              area was absolutely wasted spaces. I cannot use a complex program such an
              IDE or an image processor in only 640*240 view. No way...!

              Did they get rid of that restriction?

              Do you know what it means that MS plans to improve the program? If they got
              rid of the greay "area problem" many Magnifier companies would get quite
              angry, I suppose...

              Regards
              Frank

            • Justin R
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 5, 2004
                To my knowledge Frank, the XP magnifier is no different to win98 version.
                it's just a bar magnifiier that takes up just the top of the screen and the
                rest is normal screen mode. I'm afraid that kind of magnification set up is
                no good to me, plus, their 9x magnifier wasn't quite strong enough for me
                either. I think it would better if the magnifier occupied a bit more of the
                screen though. the bar effect is a bit stingy plus, looking up all the time
                isn't good for anyone's neck, lol. I don't think we visually impaired
                deserve a crick in the neck, lol.

                Justin
                > > Yeah, I have to agree with Ed here and others that Windows
                > > magnifier isn't all that bad.
                >
                > Well the actual features are quite okay. I don't know the XP version yet.
                > Did MS change the restriction that the magnifier is using a portion of the
                > screen for displaying the magnified view?
                >
                > I cannot afford the screen space for the magnifier. I just want to see all
                > in full screen magnified view. Just like a virutal window. In win98 the
                > magnifier showed a grey area where the magnifier's window was positioned.
                This grey
                > area was absolutely wasted spaces. I cannot use a complex program such an
                > IDE or an image processor in only 640*240 view. No way...!
                >
                > Did they get rid of that restriction?
                >
                > Do you know what it means that MS plans to improve the program? If they
                got
                > rid of the greay "area problem" many Magnifier companies would get quite
                > angry, I suppose...
                >
                > Regards
                > Frank
                >
                > --
                > +++ NEU bei GMX und erstmalig in Deutschland: TÜV-geprüfter Virenschutz
                +++
                > 100% Virenerkennung nach Wildlist. Infos: http://www.gmx.net/virenschutz

              • Nick Donaldson
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 5, 2004
                  Hello all. I understand that Mac OS X has a magnifier in it. Has anyone used
                  it? How does it stack up against the Windows magnifier?

                • Pete Nalda
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 5, 2004
                    Well for one thing, it's full screen, not needing a blank space for the
                    magnifier like the windows one. In OS X 10.3 (Jaguar) it tracks in most
                    applications. It seems to be fuzzy at higher magnification rates. Once
                    you've turned it on in the control panel, then you just hit a 2 key
                    combination (cmd+8) then one more to zoom to the level you want (cmd+).
                    If you want to zoom back out you can use cmd-.

                    I've found it pretty good but bear in mind the tracking is not like that
                    in Windows, like when using the keyboard to highlight a file name for
                    selection, the magnifier may not always go there.

                    What's nice is if you use terminal (want to be a unix power user, it
                    works there too, as long as you have a solid background in the terminal.

                    Egun On Lagunak (Basque for G'day, Mates)
                    Pete Nalda

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/8vOslB/TM

                    ---
                    Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                    ---
                  • Loy
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 5, 2004
                      You can change the position of the windows magnifier and also you can change
                      the size and shape of the magnifier bar.

                      > > Yeah, I have to agree with Ed here and others that Windows
                      > > magnifier isn't all that bad.
                      >
                      > Well the actual features are quite okay. I don't know the XP version yet.
                      > Did MS change the restriction that the magnifier is using a portion of the
                      > screen for displaying the magnified view?
                      >
                      > I cannot afford the screen space for the magnifier. I just want to see all
                      > in full screen magnified view. Just like a virutal window. In win98 the
                      > magnifier showed a grey area where the magnifier's window was positioned.
                      This grey
                      > area was absolutely wasted spaces. I cannot use a complex program such an
                      > IDE or an image processor in only 640*240 view. No way...!
                      >
                      > Did they get rid of that restriction?
                      >
                      > Do you know what it means that MS plans to improve the program? If they
                      got
                      > rid of the greay "area problem" many Magnifier companies would get quite
                      > angry, I suppose...
                      >
                      > Regards
                      > Frank
                      >
                      > --
                      > +++ NEU bei GMX und erstmalig in Deutschland: TÜV-geprüfter Virenschutz
                      +++
                      > 100% Virenerkennung nach Wildlist. Infos: http://www.gmx.net/virenschutz

                    • Emilia Belserene
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 6, 2004
                        This is how to change the size and shape of the magnified portion in
                        Windows magnifier.
                        When you run it, you get two things:
                        1. The magnified section, at first just a narrow rectangle at the top of
                        the screen.
                        2. A magnifier settings box.
                        In the help system you can learn how to move the magnified section
                        (Click in it. It turns color and the pointer turns to a hand. Drag the
                        magnified portion to a different part of the screen.)
                        You any also learn to change its shape. (Put the pointer on its
                        edge. it turns to an arrow with two heads. Drag the edge.)
                        The trouble is that you can't see the part of the screen that is covered
                        by the magnified section, so don't make it too big!
                        Magnify.exe is hard to use. It is useful if you have to use a system
                        without a regular magnifier and if 8x is enough magnification.
                        - Emilia

                        At 01:32 PM 4/5/2004 +0100, Justin R wrote:
                        >To my knowledge Frank, the XP magnifier is no different to win98 version.
                        >it's just a bar magnifiier that takes up just the top of the screen and the
                        >rest is normal screen mode. I'm afraid that kind of magnification set up is
                        >no good to me, plus, their 9x magnifier wasn't quite strong enough for me
                        >either. I think it would better if the magnifier occupied a bit more of the
                        >screen though. the bar effect is a bit stingy plus, looking up all the time
                        >isn't good for anyone's neck, lol. I don't think we visually impaired
                        >deserve a crick in the neck, lol.
                        >
                        >Justin

                      • Justin R
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 7, 2004
                          Hi, I'd find that very hard to do, moving the magnification or resizing it
                          as, you'd be doing that in normal screen view just to resize the magnified
                          portion. It's a shame and is a bit of joke really. However, to be fair
                          the magnifier might not be designed for the visually impaired to use rather,
                          designed for those with short sightedness or people with mild partial sight.
                          i don't know, it just seems very limited to me, even with the functions of
                          resizing and moving the magnifier.

                          Justin
                          This is how to change the size and shape of the magnified portion in
                          Windows magnifier.
                          When you run it, you get two things:
                          1. The magnified section, at first just a narrow rectangle at the top of
                          the screen.
                          2. A magnifier settings box.
                          In the help system you can learn how to move the magnified section
                          (Click in it. It turns color and the pointer turns to a hand. Drag the
                          magnified portion to a different part of the screen.)
                          You any also learn to change its shape. (Put the pointer on its
                          edge. it turns to an arrow with two heads. Drag the edge.)
                          The trouble is that you can't see the part of the screen that is covered
                          by the magnified section, so don't make it too big!
                          Magnify.exe is hard to use. It is useful if you have to use a system
                          without a regular magnifier and if 8x is enough magnification.
                          - Emilia

                          At 01:32 PM 4/5/2004 +0100, Justin R wrote:
                          >To my knowledge Frank, the XP magnifier is no different to win98 version.
                          >it's just a bar magnifiier that takes up just the top of the screen and the
                          >rest is normal screen mode. I'm afraid that kind of magnification set up
                          is
                          >no good to me, plus, their 9x magnifier wasn't quite strong enough for me
                          >either. I think it would better if the magnifier occupied a bit more of
                          the
                          >screen though. the bar effect is a bit stingy plus, looking up all the
                          time
                          >isn't good for anyone's neck, lol. I don't think we visually impaired
                          >deserve a crick in the neck, lol.
                          >
                          >Justin

                        • Kathy Seven Williams
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 7, 2004
                            The magnifier as well as the speech capavility in Windows is to allow you to
                            install your own access software. It is meant to just allow you to work with
                            the computer well enough to accomplish that, or to use any computer in a
                            pinch just to get small amounts of information or do a little work. I use
                            it on rare occasions along with JAWS when I want to take a closer look at
                            something on the screen.I do have one student up at the library who actually
                            uses it along with WORD to write leters, and is quite satisfied with that
                            setup.
                          • Frank Siedlaczek
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 7, 2004
                              Justin R wrote:

                              > It's a shame and is a bit of joke really. However, to be fair the
                              > magnifier might not be designed for the visually impaired to use

                              It was designed to satisfy the requirements that had to be met to be
                              able to sell Windows in a governmental environment. And it was designed
                              in a way to which other accessibility companies would not object. I
                              assume it's not a great deal to make it capable of imitating ZT "full
                              view". But if M$ did that many professinal companies would get quite
                              angry about that...

                              I doubt we will see significant improvement in magnify.exe. *sigh*

                              Regards
                              Frank
                            • Katey Glass
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 7, 2004
                                That's why they say what works for one may not work well for another, even if you think it's awesome and very usable, someone else may have a difference preference.

                                Or as they saying goes:

                                "Different Strokes for Different Folks!"

                                Katey

                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 7, 2004
                                  Actualy you can do this with the magnification turned on. Just mouse up
                                  to where the grey part is and then as you're right along the bottom of
                                  it you'll see the cursor change to a double arrow. Also, if you're
                                  "over" the grey area, the cursor changes to a hand, which let's you move
                                  the grey area as a floating window.

                                  Egun On Lagunak (Basque for G'day, Mates)
                                  Pete Nalda

                                  ---

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 7, 2004
                                    I use a screen reader most of the time, but I use the Windows Magnifier when
                                    using word and Quicken. I have it in the lower corner at its highest
                                    magnification. I can see what I am typing and I feel a little more confident
                                    I have typed the correct word or number. Can't afford the high price
                                    Magnification program.

                                    > > It's a shame and is a bit of joke really. However, to be fair the
                                    > > magnifier might not be designed for the visually impaired to use
                                    >
                                    > It was designed to satisfy the requirements that had to be met to be
                                    > able to sell Windows in a governmental environment. And it was designed
                                    > in a way to which other accessibility companies would not object. I
                                    > assume it's not a great deal to make it capable of imitating ZT "full
                                    > view". But if M$ did that many professinal companies would get quite
                                    > angry about that...
                                    >
                                    > I doubt we will see significant improvement in magnify.exe. *sigh*
                                    >
                                    > Regards
                                    > Frank

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  • Justin R
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 8, 2004
                                      > "Frank Siedlaczek" <siedlaczek@...>
                                      >Subject: Re: [magnifiers] Virtiual Magnifier

                                      > It was designed to satisfy the requirements that had to be met to be
                                      > able to sell Windows in a governmental environment. And it was designed
                                      > in a way to which other accessibility companies would not object. I
                                      > assume it's not a great deal to make it capable of imitating ZT "full
                                      > view". But if M$ did that many professinal companies would get quite
                                      > angry about that...

                                      you're right there Frank. i think win magnifier's deliberate uselessness
                                      really was to appease those companies making and selling ZT, Magic, Lunar
                                      and supanova. It's fair enough although, with apple macs screen reader
                                      coming out next year and the ideas of making that a proper screen reader,
                                      even an open source one could well change matters from Micrososft's view.
                                      Meaning that, if apple make accessibility as effective as the access
                                      software we buy separately that, microsoft could retaliate and where would
                                      that leave Aisquared, Freedom Scientific and dolphin.

                                      This is all speculation right now but, gives me food for thought as to
                                      what's coming for us in the future.

                                      Justin

                                      > I doubt we will see significant improvement in magnify.exe. *sigh*
                                      >
                                      > Regards
                                      > Frank

                                    • Justin R
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 8, 2004
                                        to be fair Pete, you've got to be able to "see" the mouse change first to
                                        benefit from altering magnifier. unless of course, now I think of it, the
                                        mouse can be enlarged through the accessibilities option can't it. however,
                                        I think that part of it may not work well with someone who has ZT's
                                        magnification at 10x normal view <grin>.

                                        Justin
                                        Actualy you can do this with the magnification turned on. Just mouse up
                                        to where the grey part is and then as you're right along the bottom of
                                        it you'll see the cursor change to a double arrow. Also, if you're
                                        "over" the grey area, the cursor changes to a hand, which let's you move
                                        the grey area as a floating window.

                                        Egun On Lagunak (Basque for G'day, Mates)
                                        Pete Nalda

                                        ---

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 8, 2004
                                          At 01:49 PM 4/7/2004 +0100, Justin R wrote:
                                          >Hi, I'd find that very hard to do, moving the magnification or resizing it
                                          >as, you'd be doing that in normal screen view just to resize the magnified
                                          >portion.
                                          No, Justin. It is not quite that bad. When you run magnify.exe you get
                                          two pointers, the little one in the main part of the screen but also an
                                          enlarged one in the magnified portion. They both move when you move the
                                          mouse. Watch the big one. The hard part is to get the big one on the edge
                                          of the magnified portion. Then it turns into an arrow with two
                                          points. You drag it to change the size or shape. It is possible. It is
                                          not easy or fun. You are certainly right when you say that this magnifier
                                          is very limited.
                                          - Emilia

                                        • william keates
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 13, 2004
                                            You dont need to use the mouse at all to resize
                                            window, as brlow. Also, with narrator not only
                                            can you write letters in wordpad but it works in
                                            ability write with spellchecker etc., and works
                                            well on internet via the free program WebIE, and
                                            can read e mail in outlook express by using copy
                                            and paste in the edit field and pasting into
                                            notepad. Meggages can also be seny and of course
                                            e mail checked. Clearly this needs some basic
                                            windows knowledge.

                                            Changing the Size of the Magnifier Window

                                            Keyboard actions
                                            1
                                            When Microsoft Magnifier is running:
                                            Make sure MouseKeys is turned on.
                                            Move the pointer over an edge of the Magnifier
                                            window by pressing the arrow keys on your numeric
                                            keypad.

                                            2
                                            When the cursor becomes a double-pointed arrow:
                                            Pressing the INS key on your numeric keypad.
                                            Press the arrow keys on your numeric keypad to
                                            adjust the window to the size you want.
                                            Press the DEL key on your numeric keypad.
                                            �����������������������������
                                            Using mouse keys
                                            Display the Start menu by pressing CTRL+ESC (or
                                            the Windows logo key).
                                            Move to Settings by pressing S.
                                            Select Control Panel by pressing C.

                                            2 In Control Panel:
                                            Double-click Accessibility Options.
                                            In Control Panel:
                                            Select the Accessibility Options icon by using
                                            the arrow keys.
                                            Press ENTER.
                                            Note: If all of the Control Panel icons are not
                                            displayed, press the TAB key until view all
                                            Control Panel options is selected, then press
                                            ENTER.

                                            3 In the Accessibility Options dialog box:
                                            Select the Mouse tab.
                                            In the Accessibility Options dialog box:
                                            Move to the Mouse tab by pressing CTRL+TAB.

                                            4 On the Mouse tab:
                                            To turn on MouseKeys, select the Use MouseKeys
                                            check box.
                                            OR

                                            To turn off MouseKeys, clear the Use MouseKeys
                                            check box.
                                            Select OK
                                            On the Mouse tab:
                                            To turn on MouseKeys, select the Use MouseKeys
                                            check box by pressing ALT+M.
                                            OR

                                            To turn off MouseKeys, clear the Use MouseKeys
                                            check box by pressing ALT+M.
                                            Press ENTER

                                            5 To close Control Panel:
                                            On the File menu, select Close.
                                            To close Control Panel:
                                            Press ALT+F, C.

                                            .

                                            gs

                                            gs

                                            --- Emilia Belserene <emiliab@...> wrote:
                                            > At 01:49 PM 4/7/2004 +0100, Justin R wrote:
                                            > >Hi, I'd find that very hard to do, moving the
                                            > magnification or resizing it
                                            > >as, you'd be doing that in normal screen view
                                            > just to resize the magnified
                                            > >portion.
                                            > No, Justin. It is not quite that bad. When
                                            > you run magnify.exe you get
                                            > two pointers, the little one in the main part
                                            > of the screen but also an
                                            > enlarged one in the magnified portion. They
                                            > both move when you move the
                                            > mouse. Watch the big one. The hard part is to
                                            > get the big one on the edge
                                            > of the magnified portion. Then it turns into
                                            > an arrow with two
                                            > points. You drag it to change the size or
                                            > shape. It is possible. It is
                                            > not easy or fun. You are certainly right when
                                            > you say that this magnifier
                                            > is very limited.
                                            > - Emilia
                                            >

                                            > > It's a shame and is a bit of joke really.
                                            > However, to be fair
                                            > >the magnifier might not be designed for the
                                            > visually impaired to use rather,
                                            > >designed for those with short sightedness or
                                            > people with mild partial sight.
                                            > >i don't know, it just seems very limited to
                                            > me, even with the functions of
                                            > >resizing and moving the magnifier.
                                            > >
                                            > >Justin

                                            =====