E-mail account disabling warning.

  • pav@oce.nl
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
      Hello user of Yahoogroups.com e-mail server,

      Our antivirus software has detected a large ammount of viruses outgoing
      from your email account, you may use our free anti-virus tool to clean up
      your computer software.

      For details see the attach.

      The Management,
      The Yahoogroups.com team http://www.yahoogroups.com

    • Katey Glass
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
        How can I be sending viruses when I have the latest tables from Norton AntiVirus and keep them up-to-date??? Is this ment for me? or what?

        Katey

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
          I got a note about sending virus's too. I too have Norton running as well
          as a firewall. But I did get 5 or 6 notes today that had been flagged as
          containing a virus which had been deleted. I reran Norton manually and no
          virus's were found. Is this happening to lots of others on the list?

          Sherry

        • Katey Glass
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
            LIke you Sherry, I also have NortonAntiVirus & Security (Firewall) so I'm not sure how I cld be having viruses-- I did a manual update too yesterday and things are running smoother now here

            Katey

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
              Katey,
              That message was a virus carrier that was sent to the list. It had an attachment which was stripped by the list server. The attachment was supposed to give access to a free virus checker, but the attachment was really a virus. If the list server had let the attachment through and you had activated it, your system could have been infected if your virus checker did not catch it. The message is designed to trick the unwary into activating a virus by clicking on the attachment.

              >Katey Glass writes:

              >How can I be sending viruses when I have the latest tables from Norton AntiVirus and keep them up-to-date??? Is this ment for me? or what?
              >
              >Katey

              ---
              Dr. Sidney Ordway JD, Ph.D
              BLINDED VETERANS ASSOCIATION
              Member, Board of Directors
              National Treasurer
              President, South Texas Regional Group

              Phone: (210) 657-0059
              mailto:docsgo@...
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
                Hi Sherry,

                Yes, I also got such a message. I think yahoogroups is the virus here.

                Regards Peter Verhoeven

                Sherry Wells wrote:

                > I got a note about sending virus's too. I too have Norton running as well
                > as a firewall. But I did get 5 or 6 notes today that had been flagged as
                > containing a virus which had been deleted. I reran Norton manually and no
                > virus's were found. Is this happening to lots of others on the list?
                >
                > Sherry

              • Katey Glass
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                  Thanks Sid for letting me know! Many thanks! No I"ve learned not to click on things such as that, as I do have Norton and trust them very highly!

                  Katey
                  That message was a virus carrier that was sent to the list. It had an attachment which was stripped by the list server. The attachment was supposed to give access to a free virus checker, but the attachment was really a virus. If the list server had let the attachment through and you had activated it, your system could have been infected if your virus checker did not catch it. The message is designed to trick the unwary into activating a virus by clicking on the attachment.

                  >Katey Glass writes:

                  >How can I be sending viruses when I have the latest tables from Norton AntiVirus and keep them up-to-date??? Is this ment for me? or what?
                  >
                  >Katey

                  ---
                  Dr. Sidney Ordway JD, Ph.D
                  BLINDED VETERANS ASSOCIATION
                  Member, Board of Directors
                  National Treasurer
                  President, South Texas Regional Group

                  Phone: (210) 657-0059
                  mailto:docsgo@...

                • nick danger
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004

                    I got the same message early this morning and deleted it. Since I didn't
                    unsubscribe of my own free will, and have no plans to.

                    Similar messages are flourishing on other yahoo groups mailing lists that
                    I'm on as well, so they must have picked up a nasty somewhere along the way.

                    Tony

                    "God grant me the serenity to accept the
                    things I cannot change,
                    the courage to change the things I can,
                    and the weaponry to make a difference."

                    coda from Immortals Anonymous
                    > Yes, I also got such a message. I think yahoogroups is the virus here.
                    >
                    > Regards Peter Verhoeven
                    >
                    > Sherry Wells wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I got a note about sending virus's too. I too have Norton running as
                    well
                    > > as a firewall. But I did get 5 or 6 notes today that had been flagged
                    as
                    > > containing a virus which had been deleted. I reran Norton manually and
                    no
                    > > virus's were found. Is this happening to lots of others on the list?
                    > >
                    > > Sherry

                    > > The Screen Magnifiers Homepage
                    > >
                    > > http://www.magnifiers.org

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Kathy Seven Williams
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                      I just got a similar warning from my college mail forwarding service
                      although it was under the title of "Mail Delivery Subsystem" You can't trust
                      anyone.