hi

  • atrinkleraol
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 11, 2004
      Hi again, I'm not sure if my last message got posted. But let me tell
      you about myself. I do a lot of computer work and I have trouble
      seeing the computer. Ssomeone told me about zoomtext verison 8.03.
      There are a couple of quesstion, that I like to ask the group.
      1 Does anyone have any reaction to zoomtext?
      2 Any suggest about using zoom text?
      If someone can reply I would love to hear the use of zoomtext.
      Thank you\
      Amy
    • Katey Glass
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 12, 2004
        Hi Amy,

        First off, let me ask, what is your visual acuity? You said you had trouble seeing the computer, are you legally blind? For example, I see 20/200 in my "better" eye-- which is legally blind and ZoomText is an awsome program. It not only magnifies the text from 2X to 16X but if you get the version with the screenreader included it can read to you longer emails, web pages, documents or just about anything you want it to on your computer. I know for myself, it has been a liberating experinece, no longer do I have to sit with my nose inches away from the monitor! Thus, my neck and back pain and strain have gone away. I can Zoom in and out of varing sizes depending on the font size of the web page or whatever I'm looking at-- thus customizing the size I see on the screen.

        There are other benefits to ZoomText as well, as I said it can read to you if you have that particular version. You can customize the colors (getting rid of any problem colors) and have cursor enhancements so you can easily find where your cursor is located at, even if you are not in magnification mode.

        As I said, you didn't mention your visual acuity, another program my AiSquared may be helpful to you called Big Shot Magnifier-- it is similar to ZoomText, but is only a magnification program. Also, it doesn't magnify quite as much-- going from 100% to 200% by increments of 5. You have come to the right place, if you'd like more information, let me know and I'd be happy to help you in any way I can.

        Katey

      • Art
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 12, 2004
          Hello Amy,

          I also have trouble seeing the screen on the computer. I have been
          using Zoom-Text for over 6 years now and I like it a lot. Plus I get free
          technicol help through e-mail or by phone if I have any problems with the
          product. Right now I am using the 8.1 version of Zoom-Text and I am due to
          renew my MSMA plan with them by the end of this month. Once I renew that
          with them I will receive the 2 new upgrades that are coming out in Febuary
          some time.

          If there is any other informnation I can help you with let me know
          ok.

          Your Friend,
          Arthur Novello Jr.

          Hi again, I'm not sure if my last message got posted. But let me tell
          you about myself. I do a lot of computer work and I have trouble
          seeing the computer. Ssomeone told me about zoomtext verison 8.03.
          There are a couple of quesstion, that I like to ask the group.
          1 Does anyone have any reaction to zoomtext?
          2 Any suggest about using zoom text?
          If someone can reply I would love to hear the use of zoomtext.
          Thank you\
          Amy

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Amy
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 12, 2004
            Hi Katey

            Thank you for answering my questions. You mentioned about acuities. So, my acuities are as follows 30/320 OD and 20/400 OS. I too suffer from back and neck pain. And I bet you the way that I sit at my computer isn't good.
            Do you have problems reading from different colors of paper? It sounds like zoom text is great.I have to wait to install it. But I can't wait to do so.
            I'm hoping this program helps me at work. My vision is causing a lot of problem at work.
            Do you work?
            example of what I have to do at work.
            I type into a spreadsheet that is in Excel. But what I want to know is the program is for the computer, but would you read a document which is on your desk, and then input the data into the spreadsheet?

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 12, 2004
              Hi Art
              Thank you for responding to my e-mail. It sounds like zoom text is a great program.
              I hope it works as well for me as it did for you.
              You mentioned something called MSMA plan. What is this plan?

              Thanks

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 13, 2004
                Hi Amy,

                Sorry that was a miss type on my part. I believe it is SMA. This is
                a program I signed up for with zoom-text before they even had zoom-text 8
                version. It was an offer that they offered before zoom-text 8 version was
                available. Which offered customers from zoom-text to purchase zoom-text 8
                version before it came out. It also offered all prior upgrades prior to
                version 8 also, along with free customer support. So now it is a way to
                purchase 8.03 version and upgrades prior to its release for me also.

                Your Friend,
                Arthur Novello Jr.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 13, 2004
                  I'll be getting that too, in a few days-- as like was said getting an SMA you get 2 updates sent to your door. I currently have Version 8.04 (US version) and I do get free technical support as well. I love Zoom Text and can't imagine *not* using it and getting all the updates and improvements they have

                  Katey

                • Katey Glass
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 13, 2004
                    Hi Amy,

                    To answer your questions, I have problems reading on different colored paper depending on the lighting conditions, and the contrast, if it's a bad color combination -- yes I do.

                    I work at home-- I do customer service jobs for an online compnay for different clients, I take Hotel Reservations as my primary job and have done other side "projects" with them as well. So I spend many hrs on the computer and the phone. That is when I realized that I was probably going to eventually do damage to my back/neck if I didn't get or do something to make me sit in a more natural position.

                    Our vision sounds like it is similar, I was born prematurely and have a condition known as ROP (Retinopothy of Prematureity) which can be a progressive as I get older. I have always been legally blind and used verious adaptive means to accomplish what ever it was I wanted to accomplish.

                    Do you have the trial version of ZoomText or did you purchase the product? Willl you use it only at work or at home too?

                    To read printed materials I use either magnifiers or a CCTV. Also great for elivating neck/back strain caused from bending over your reading material.

                    Katey

                  • Amy
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
                      Hi Katey
                      Yes, I just got the trial verision right now. I'm taking it to work. You see, I really need it for work and at home But work wins first.
                      By the way, I was wondering how much does this cost? And do you think that I should get the verison withe speech also.
                      You mentioned about SMA, What is this I'm not sure I understand what it is.

                      Also, you mention something else called CCTV what is this? Thanks for all the help.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
                        Hi Amy -- Am just an interested bystander and curious as to how you computer
                        savvy folks with limited vision are able to read text & pix when that is given
                        to you for input to the computer. Reason for asking -- I make a device
                        called ANOTHER EYE
                        which is basically a small CCTV type device which will input the computer USB
                        input. I realize that you can normally scan the info into computer and then
                        utilize the magnification software such as Zoomtext etc. --but do you ever
                        have need for instantaneous look on the same computer monitor at hard copy print
                        or keyboard or any fine detail on your desk, with the ability to store it in
                        memory. Basically, it's a little handheld camera which will display as much as
                        a word -- full screen, if you require that much magnification, i.e. on a 17"
                        monitor, the magnification could be as much as 26X although there is a point of
                        impracticality. Am working on a portable system which would input a Laptop
                        which could be easily carried on a trip or to and from office. The laptop
                        serves as the display monitor as would a desktop monitor at home or office.
                        A question with regard to laptops -- are the laptop screens too small
                        (14"-15" diagonal) for your practical use -- with Zoomtext or any magnification
                        program? Incidentally, the info from ANOTHER EYE can be stored on any computer
                        device such as CD-RW, DVD etc. a frame at a time or continuous motion, as you are
                        viewing. Would appreciate any comments with regard to the need to view items
                        and input that text or pictures to the computer as you are viewing, for later
                        recall if necessary.
                        Ron Arendall

                      • Colin @ New Vision
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 15, 2004
                          Hi Ron

                          I would be interested in details on Another Eye.

                          Please email me.

                          Regards

                          Colin

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 15, 2004
                            Hi Ron

                            Yes, i do have trouble inputing stuff in the computer. In fact I am having problat work because of it. I use a magnifier with alight, but it does not help me that much. Please tell me about what you are working on. I am veru nterested in something t hat might help me.

                            Amy

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 15, 2004
                              I would like to hear more about your device. Do you have a web site where
                              we can see and read more about it?

                              Bob Shelly

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 18, 2004
                                Amy -Re: ANOTHER EYE - Have CCTV device which will input the computer USB
                                port. Is handheld and/or flexible ARM mounted. Handheld unit simply slides
                                over the copy to be read and appears in magnified form on the computer monitor.
                                Typical magnification on a 17" monitor is in the order of 20X (black & white
                                unit -- model AE1) or 27X with Color unit(model AE2) . Will have website up
                                soon and can provide further info re various models.
                                Ron Arendall, P.E. ANOTHER EYE

                              • bladud973@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 19, 2004
                                  Hi Ron
                                  I lilve in the UK
                                  Read your E mail with great interest the questioon that arises is': How much
                                  does it cost? in £s, who is the suppliler, is there a back up if thing do not
                                  work, is there a cost for back up, and can the magnfication be varied ie
                                  smaller than 17x like 4x ?
                                  Regards
                                  Mal Wallace

                                • rarendall@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 28, 2004
                                    Hi Mal Wallace -- I just realized that have not responded to your questions
                                    of 1/19 regarding ANOTHER EYE. Re: Price -- ranges from $200 to $500 U.S.
                                    dollars. Have not sold internationally -- problem would occur with your TV
                                    standards I believe operating at 625 lines/ 50 fields rather than our U.S. 525/60
                                    with NTSC color rather than PAL. There is probably a conversion adaptor but
                                    have not investigated. There is no maintenance as internal lights are solid
                                    state L.E.D.'s and no batteries to replace.. Basic handheld model AE1 (Black &
                                    White) is $200, handheld Color (Model AE2) is$300. Can be batteried for portable
                                    use with Laptop Computer. Low weight, low power requirement -- am just
                                    developing this system. AE1 and AE2 simply slide over text or pix to be read and
                                    displayed on TV set. Magnification is variable by spacers which place the unit
                                    further from the text. Have a variety of models for different tasks, with
                                    magnification variable either by vari-focal lens or positioning of distance from
                                    object. Optional video processor for black to white transition and contrast
                                    enhancement. Will have website soon to disseminate info -- in meantime can
                                    answer questions via email re Specs. etc.
                                    Ron Arendall, ANOTHER EYE.

                                  • bladud973@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 30, 2004
                                      Hi Ron
                                      Thanks for the information, I at present manage with a scanner and Omnipage
                                      very well but am always looking for an alternaaive
                                      Kind Regaards
                                      Mal