Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.03 Released

  • Emilia Belserene
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 2, 2003
      At 09:50 AM 9/26/03 -0400, Scott Moore wrote:
      ZoomText 8.03 Released

      I have been trying 8.03 (under Windows 98). I especially like ZoomText for
      the way it reformats lines in its teleprompter mode. Version 7 needed some
      improvement and I looked forward to version 8. Some things are better but
      more are worse.
      My comments about 8.03 Magnifier without speech:
      GOOD:
      *Edge smoothing is excellent
      *AppReader can find its way around columns on web pages in Internet Explorer.
      *DocReader can sometimes recognize columns.
      *Doc reader has a cleaner screen than it had in version 7.
      BAD:
      *This new DocReader is useless except in Microsoft products.
      *Lines in teleprompter jump upward instead of scrolling.
      *Lines in AppReader not only jump up. They also jump left and right.
      *AppReader can not be reached from the Magnifier, only from the more
      expensive Reader.
      *DocReader has lost several of the options it had in version 7.
      *The DocReader options are on the Reader tab in the trial version. Where
      will they be in the product that does not include Reader?
      I will appreciate comments from Scott about these problems. Will
      they be addressed in future updates?
      Also comments from other people who, like me, use DocReader
      without speech. How do you use 8.03 or do you find the features you want
      in a different product?

      Thanks for any comments.
      - Emilia

    • Russell Green
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 3, 2003
        Hi Emilia

        I also use Win98 but I find zt8 to be too eratic. I mainly use zt7.11. In
        particular highlighting or dragging objects(eg in windows explorer) is
        hopeless with zt8 and ok with zt7.11. From other comments on this forum it
        seems that zt8 works far better with windows xp. I get the impression that
        AISquared give greater priority to xp than win98 compatability. So it may
        be necessaqry to upgrade to xp to get the benefits of zt8.

        Russell Green

        > At 09:50 AM 9/26/03 -0400, Scott Moore wrote:
        > ZoomText 8.03 Released
        >
        > I have been trying 8.03 (under Windows 98). I especially like ZoomText
        for
        > the way it reformats lines in its teleprompter mode. Version 7 needed
        some
        > improvement and I looked forward to version 8. Some things are better but
        > more are worse.
        > My comments about 8.03 Magnifier without speech:
        > GOOD:
        > *Edge smoothing is excellent
        > *AppReader can find its way around columns on web pages in Internet
        Explorer.
        > *DocReader can sometimes recognize columns.
        > *Doc reader has a cleaner screen than it had in version 7.
        > BAD:
        > *This new DocReader is useless except in Microsoft products.
        > *Lines in teleprompter jump upward instead of scrolling.
        > *Lines in AppReader not only jump up. They also jump left and right.
        > *AppReader can not be reached from the Magnifier, only from the more
        > expensive Reader.
        > *DocReader has lost several of the options it had in version 7.
        > *The DocReader options are on the Reader tab in the trial version. Where
        > will they be in the product that does not include Reader?
        > I will appreciate comments from Scott about these problems. Will
        > they be addressed in future updates?
        > Also comments from other people who, like me, use DocReader
        > without speech. How do you use 8.03 or do you find the features you want
        > in a different product?
        >
        > Thanks for any comments.
        > - Emilia

      • carol masonmiller
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4, 2003
          Thank you for the comments; I was so pleased to find this site. It gives
          me some idea as to where to start in my research on magnification while I am
          still capable of reading regular type. I have saved your comments in my
          file and will let you know what works for me. I am totally new to this
          technology so it will take me some time to figure out what I need and how to
          do it.
          Thanks again--
          Carol Miller

          >From: Emilia Belserene <emiliab@...>
          >To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.03 Released
          >Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 23:53:08 -0800
          >
          >At 09:50 AM 9/26/03 -0400, Scott Moore wrote:
          >ZoomText 8.03 Released
          >
          >I have been trying 8.03 (under Windows 98). I especially like ZoomText for
          >the way it reformats lines in its teleprompter mode. Version 7 needed some
          >improvement and I looked forward to version 8. Some things are better but
          >more are worse.
          > My comments about 8.03 Magnifier without speech:
          >GOOD:
          >*Edge smoothing is excellent
          >*AppReader can find its way around columns on web pages in Internet
          >Explorer.
          >*DocReader can sometimes recognize columns.
          >*Doc reader has a cleaner screen than it had in version 7.
          >BAD:
          >*This new DocReader is useless except in Microsoft products.
          >*Lines in teleprompter jump upward instead of scrolling.
          >*Lines in AppReader not only jump up. They also jump left and right.
          >*AppReader can not be reached from the Magnifier, only from the more
          >expensive Reader.
          >*DocReader has lost several of the options it had in version 7.
          >*The DocReader options are on the Reader tab in the trial version. Where
          >will they be in the product that does not include Reader?
          > I will appreciate comments from Scott about these problems. Will
          >they be addressed in future updates?
          > Also comments from other people who, like me, use DocReader
          >without speech. How do you use 8.03 or do you find the features you want
          >in a different product?
          >
          >Thanks for any comments.
          > - Emilia

          Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead? Your old favorites are always
          playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!
        • wndgarner1@wmconnect.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 7, 2003
            reply tpcarolmasonmiller@... Get a jump start and load and use
            magnification program unlike speech which can drve ya nuts GO ahead and load and
            learn. That was what I did and it eased the stress of vision loss!