Re: ZoomText 8.03 Released

  • davidbromleyf
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
      --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, Leslie P Peterson
      <lesliepeterson@j...> wrote:
      > I am puzzled that Paul and David do not have any problem in thier
      XP.
      > Why not me! I will try it once again. Maybe download might cause
      the
      > problem.

      I doubt it's a download problem. From you earlier post you said you
      had problems with Juno. I think that might be the problem (Juno
      lives?). Do you have trouble reading from a web browser?

      > I wish you, Paul and David tell us early. Why do you delay?
      >
      > Leslie--
      > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:25:21 -0000 "davidbromleyf"
      > <davidbromleyf@y...> writes:
      > > I've not run into any problems in XP.
      > >
      > > --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Nalda" <nalda@s...>
      wrote:
      > > > I was just wondering, with the talk about '98, how is the new
      ZT
      > > doing with XP?
      > > >
      > > > Anyone?
      > > >
      > > > russellgreen@d... (Russell Green)
      > > > was written successfully
      > > and performance problems I reported to AiSquared during beta for
      8.0

      > > remain in
      Explorer
      > > or
      > > cards in Solitaire is so slow it is not usable under 8.03 whereas
      > > this is not a problem with 7.11.
      > >
      > > bugs they were working on so we could at least know they
      > > acknowledged
      > > the problems and were working on them.

      TIRED
      > > with many

      > > unsubscribe@e...

      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > > unsubscribe@e...

      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > > -------------------
      > > --~--> Upgrade to 128-Bit SSL Security!

      > > ---~->

      > > unsubscribe@e...

      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > > The Screen Magnifiers Homepage
      > >
      > > http://www.magnifiers.org

      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Frank Siedlaczek
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
        Nick Donaldson wrote:

        >I was having a problem with 8.02 and the X-Window emulator software I
        >use to connect to Unix. The problem essentially was a screen flashing
        >that would take place whenever any of teh unix windows I was in had to
        >do a major refresh. The blinking could go on fo rminutes. so far, it
        >hasn't happened yet. I'll write more if it comes back.

        I am using the Hummingbird XServer-Emulation - or rather, I don't use
        it, because there are too many problems with that program with ZT. I am
        running winNT 4.0 sp 5 and ZT 7.05. So far I have to use telnet to
        connect to our unix machines but this is only half the fun and
        effeciency one could get out of unix.

        Which XServer program are you using?

        Regards
        Frank
      • Amy Bower
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
          This is the first I've seen of screen flashing problems with ZT. I'm
          suddenly having this problem too, mainly since updated to ZT 8.03 from
          8.02. Not all applications, but some. It's very troubling - the screen
          sometimes fllashes for several seconds when refreshing before settliing
          down. I'm getting more inclined to back off to ZT 7.x.

          Amy B.

          At 04:24 PM 10/2/2003 +0200, you wrote:
          >Nick Donaldson wrote:
          >
          > >I was having a problem with 8.02 and the X-Window emulator software I
          > >use to connect to Unix. The problem essentially was a screen flashing
          > >that would take place whenever any of teh unix windows I was in had to
          > >do a major refresh. The blinking could go on fo rminutes. so far, it
          > >hasn't happened yet. I'll write more if it comes back.
          > >

          >I am using the Hummingbird XServer-Emulation - or rather, I don't use
          >it, because there are too many problems with that program with ZT. I am
          >running winNT 4.0 sp 5 and ZT 7.05. So far I have to use telnet to
          >connect to our unix machines but this is only half the fun and
          >effeciency one could get out of unix.
          >
          >Which XServer program are you using?
          >
          >Regards
          > Frank

          Dr. Amy S. Bower
          Department of Physical Oceanography
          MS #21
          Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
          Woods Hole, MA 02543 USA
          voice: 508-289-2781
          fax: 508-457-2181
          e-mail: abower@...
          web: http://www.whoi.edu/science/PO/people/abower

        • Robert Dahm
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 4, 2003
            I found Zoomtext 8.0 listed on PCMall for $199. Is there a catch or is this
            genuine? It specifically makes reference to the screenreader as well as
            the Zoomtext magnifier, which leads me to believe it is Level 2. Here is
            the link to check it out yourself.

            http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=265423

            Bob Dahm, RN, COMS
            Kansas State School for the Blind

            High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local
            service providers in your area). Click here. https://broadband.msn.com
          • Moises Lejter
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 4, 2003
              At 08:05 PM 10/4/2003, Robert Dahm wrote:

              >I found Zoomtext 8.0 listed on PCMall for $199. Is there a catch or is this
              >genuine?

              It looks like it is only the upgrade from ZoomText 7 to 8...

              Moises
            • Emilia Belserene
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 2, 2003
                At 09:50 AM 9/26/03 -0400, Scott Moore wrote:
                ZoomText 8.03 Released

                I have been trying 8.03 (under Windows 98). I especially like ZoomText for
                the way it reformats lines in its teleprompter mode. Version 7 needed some
                improvement and I looked forward to version 8. Some things are better but
                more are worse.
                My comments about 8.03 Magnifier without speech:
                GOOD:
                *Edge smoothing is excellent
                *AppReader can find its way around columns on web pages in Internet Explorer.
                *DocReader can sometimes recognize columns.
                *Doc reader has a cleaner screen than it had in version 7.
                BAD:
                *This new DocReader is useless except in Microsoft products.
                *Lines in teleprompter jump upward instead of scrolling.
                *Lines in AppReader not only jump up. They also jump left and right.
                *AppReader can not be reached from the Magnifier, only from the more
                expensive Reader.
                *DocReader has lost several of the options it had in version 7.
                *The DocReader options are on the Reader tab in the trial version. Where
                will they be in the product that does not include Reader?
                I will appreciate comments from Scott about these problems. Will
                they be addressed in future updates?
                Also comments from other people who, like me, use DocReader
                without speech. How do you use 8.03 or do you find the features you want
                in a different product?

                Thanks for any comments.
                - Emilia

              • Russell Green
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Hi Emilia

                  I also use Win98 but I find zt8 to be too eratic. I mainly use zt7.11. In
                  particular highlighting or dragging objects(eg in windows explorer) is
                  hopeless with zt8 and ok with zt7.11. From other comments on this forum it
                  seems that zt8 works far better with windows xp. I get the impression that
                  AISquared give greater priority to xp than win98 compatability. So it may
                  be necessaqry to upgrade to xp to get the benefits of zt8.

                  Russell Green

                  > At 09:50 AM 9/26/03 -0400, Scott Moore wrote:
                  > ZoomText 8.03 Released
                  >
                  > I have been trying 8.03 (under Windows 98). I especially like ZoomText
                  for
                  > the way it reformats lines in its teleprompter mode. Version 7 needed
                  some
                  > improvement and I looked forward to version 8. Some things are better but
                  > more are worse.
                  > My comments about 8.03 Magnifier without speech:
                  > GOOD:
                  > *Edge smoothing is excellent
                  > *AppReader can find its way around columns on web pages in Internet
                  Explorer.
                  > *DocReader can sometimes recognize columns.
                  > *Doc reader has a cleaner screen than it had in version 7.
                  > BAD:
                  > *This new DocReader is useless except in Microsoft products.
                  > *Lines in teleprompter jump upward instead of scrolling.
                  > *Lines in AppReader not only jump up. They also jump left and right.
                  > *AppReader can not be reached from the Magnifier, only from the more
                  > expensive Reader.
                  > *DocReader has lost several of the options it had in version 7.
                  > *The DocReader options are on the Reader tab in the trial version. Where
                  > will they be in the product that does not include Reader?
                  > I will appreciate comments from Scott about these problems. Will
                  > they be addressed in future updates?
                  > Also comments from other people who, like me, use DocReader
                  > without speech. How do you use 8.03 or do you find the features you want
                  > in a different product?
                  >
                  > Thanks for any comments.
                  > - Emilia

                • carol masonmiller
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 4, 2003
                    Thank you for the comments; I was so pleased to find this site. It gives
                    me some idea as to where to start in my research on magnification while I am
                    still capable of reading regular type. I have saved your comments in my
                    file and will let you know what works for me. I am totally new to this
                    technology so it will take me some time to figure out what I need and how to
                    do it.
                    Thanks again--
                    Carol Miller

                    >From: Emilia Belserene <emiliab@...>
                    >To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.03 Released
                    >Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 23:53:08 -0800
                    >
                    >At 09:50 AM 9/26/03 -0400, Scott Moore wrote:
                    >ZoomText 8.03 Released
                    >
                    >I have been trying 8.03 (under Windows 98). I especially like ZoomText for
                    >the way it reformats lines in its teleprompter mode. Version 7 needed some
                    >improvement and I looked forward to version 8. Some things are better but
                    >more are worse.
                    > My comments about 8.03 Magnifier without speech:
                    >GOOD:
                    >*Edge smoothing is excellent
                    >*AppReader can find its way around columns on web pages in Internet
                    >Explorer.
                    >*DocReader can sometimes recognize columns.
                    >*Doc reader has a cleaner screen than it had in version 7.
                    >BAD:
                    >*This new DocReader is useless except in Microsoft products.
                    >*Lines in teleprompter jump upward instead of scrolling.
                    >*Lines in AppReader not only jump up. They also jump left and right.
                    >*AppReader can not be reached from the Magnifier, only from the more
                    >expensive Reader.
                    >*DocReader has lost several of the options it had in version 7.
                    >*The DocReader options are on the Reader tab in the trial version. Where
                    >will they be in the product that does not include Reader?
                    > I will appreciate comments from Scott about these problems. Will
                    >they be addressed in future updates?
                    > Also comments from other people who, like me, use DocReader
                    >without speech. How do you use 8.03 or do you find the features you want
                    >in a different product?
                    >
                    >Thanks for any comments.
                    > - Emilia

                    Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead? Your old favorites are always
                    playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!
                  • wndgarner1@wmconnect.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 7, 2003
                      reply tpcarolmasonmiller@... Get a jump start and load and use
                      magnification program unlike speech which can drve ya nuts GO ahead and load and
                      learn. That was what I did and it eased the stress of vision loss!