Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.03 Released

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 30, 2003
      On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:34:03 -0500, Leslie P Peterson
      <lesliepeterson@...> wrote:

      >I am puzzled that Paul and David do not have any problem in thier XP.
      >Why not me! I will try it once again. Maybe download might cause the
      >problem.

      Well, it could have to do with your hardware (video card, soundcard,
      etc) or be an issue unique to your specific setup.

      >I wish you, Paul and David tell us early. Why do you delay?

      Because I'm busy. :)

      -Paul.
    • davidbromleyf
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, Leslie P Peterson
        <lesliepeterson@j...> wrote:
        > I am puzzled that Paul and David do not have any problem in thier
        XP.
        > Why not me! I will try it once again. Maybe download might cause
        the
        > problem.

        I doubt it's a download problem. From you earlier post you said you
        had problems with Juno. I think that might be the problem (Juno
        lives?). Do you have trouble reading from a web browser?

        > I wish you, Paul and David tell us early. Why do you delay?
        >
        > Leslie--
        > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:25:21 -0000 "davidbromleyf"
        > <davidbromleyf@y...> writes:
        > > I've not run into any problems in XP.
        > >
        > > --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Nalda" <nalda@s...>
        wrote:
        > > > I was just wondering, with the talk about '98, how is the new
        ZT
        > > doing with XP?
        > > >
        > > > Anyone?
        > > >
        > > > russellgreen@d... (Russell Green)
        > > > was written successfully
        > > and performance problems I reported to AiSquared during beta for
        8.0

        > > remain in
        Explorer
        > > or
        > > cards in Solitaire is so slow it is not usable under 8.03 whereas
        > > this is not a problem with 7.11.
        > >
        > > bugs they were working on so we could at least know they
        > > acknowledged
        > > the problems and were working on them.

        TIRED
        > > with many

        > > unsubscribe@e...

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > > unsubscribe@e...

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > > -------------------
        > > --~--> Upgrade to 128-Bit SSL Security!

        > > ---~->

        > > unsubscribe@e...

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > > The Screen Magnifiers Homepage
        > >
        > > http://www.magnifiers.org

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Frank Siedlaczek
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
          Nick Donaldson wrote:

          >I was having a problem with 8.02 and the X-Window emulator software I
          >use to connect to Unix. The problem essentially was a screen flashing
          >that would take place whenever any of teh unix windows I was in had to
          >do a major refresh. The blinking could go on fo rminutes. so far, it
          >hasn't happened yet. I'll write more if it comes back.

          I am using the Hummingbird XServer-Emulation - or rather, I don't use
          it, because there are too many problems with that program with ZT. I am
          running winNT 4.0 sp 5 and ZT 7.05. So far I have to use telnet to
          connect to our unix machines but this is only half the fun and
          effeciency one could get out of unix.

          Which XServer program are you using?

          Regards
          Frank
        • Amy Bower
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
            This is the first I've seen of screen flashing problems with ZT. I'm
            suddenly having this problem too, mainly since updated to ZT 8.03 from
            8.02. Not all applications, but some. It's very troubling - the screen
            sometimes fllashes for several seconds when refreshing before settliing
            down. I'm getting more inclined to back off to ZT 7.x.

            Amy B.

            At 04:24 PM 10/2/2003 +0200, you wrote:
            >Nick Donaldson wrote:
            >
            > >I was having a problem with 8.02 and the X-Window emulator software I
            > >use to connect to Unix. The problem essentially was a screen flashing
            > >that would take place whenever any of teh unix windows I was in had to
            > >do a major refresh. The blinking could go on fo rminutes. so far, it
            > >hasn't happened yet. I'll write more if it comes back.
            > >

            >I am using the Hummingbird XServer-Emulation - or rather, I don't use
            >it, because there are too many problems with that program with ZT. I am
            >running winNT 4.0 sp 5 and ZT 7.05. So far I have to use telnet to
            >connect to our unix machines but this is only half the fun and
            >effeciency one could get out of unix.
            >
            >Which XServer program are you using?
            >
            >Regards
            > Frank

            Dr. Amy S. Bower
            Department of Physical Oceanography
            MS #21
            Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
            Woods Hole, MA 02543 USA
            voice: 508-289-2781
            fax: 508-457-2181
            e-mail: abower@...
            web: http://www.whoi.edu/science/PO/people/abower

          • Robert Dahm
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 4, 2003
              I found Zoomtext 8.0 listed on PCMall for $199. Is there a catch or is this
              genuine? It specifically makes reference to the screenreader as well as
              the Zoomtext magnifier, which leads me to believe it is Level 2. Here is
              the link to check it out yourself.

              http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=265423

              Bob Dahm, RN, COMS
              Kansas State School for the Blind

              High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local
              service providers in your area). Click here. https://broadband.msn.com
            • Moises Lejter
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 4, 2003
                At 08:05 PM 10/4/2003, Robert Dahm wrote:

                >I found Zoomtext 8.0 listed on PCMall for $199. Is there a catch or is this
                >genuine?

                It looks like it is only the upgrade from ZoomText 7 to 8...

                Moises
              • Emilia Belserene
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 2, 2003
                  At 09:50 AM 9/26/03 -0400, Scott Moore wrote:
                  ZoomText 8.03 Released

                  I have been trying 8.03 (under Windows 98). I especially like ZoomText for
                  the way it reformats lines in its teleprompter mode. Version 7 needed some
                  improvement and I looked forward to version 8. Some things are better but
                  more are worse.
                  My comments about 8.03 Magnifier without speech:
                  GOOD:
                  *Edge smoothing is excellent
                  *AppReader can find its way around columns on web pages in Internet Explorer.
                  *DocReader can sometimes recognize columns.
                  *Doc reader has a cleaner screen than it had in version 7.
                  BAD:
                  *This new DocReader is useless except in Microsoft products.
                  *Lines in teleprompter jump upward instead of scrolling.
                  *Lines in AppReader not only jump up. They also jump left and right.
                  *AppReader can not be reached from the Magnifier, only from the more
                  expensive Reader.
                  *DocReader has lost several of the options it had in version 7.
                  *The DocReader options are on the Reader tab in the trial version. Where
                  will they be in the product that does not include Reader?
                  I will appreciate comments from Scott about these problems. Will
                  they be addressed in future updates?
                  Also comments from other people who, like me, use DocReader
                  without speech. How do you use 8.03 or do you find the features you want
                  in a different product?

                  Thanks for any comments.
                  - Emilia

                • Russell Green
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 3, 2003
                    Hi Emilia

                    I also use Win98 but I find zt8 to be too eratic. I mainly use zt7.11. In
                    particular highlighting or dragging objects(eg in windows explorer) is
                    hopeless with zt8 and ok with zt7.11. From other comments on this forum it
                    seems that zt8 works far better with windows xp. I get the impression that
                    AISquared give greater priority to xp than win98 compatability. So it may
                    be necessaqry to upgrade to xp to get the benefits of zt8.

                    Russell Green

                    > At 09:50 AM 9/26/03 -0400, Scott Moore wrote:
                    > ZoomText 8.03 Released
                    >
                    > I have been trying 8.03 (under Windows 98). I especially like ZoomText
                    for
                    > the way it reformats lines in its teleprompter mode. Version 7 needed
                    some
                    > improvement and I looked forward to version 8. Some things are better but
                    > more are worse.
                    > My comments about 8.03 Magnifier without speech:
                    > GOOD:
                    > *Edge smoothing is excellent
                    > *AppReader can find its way around columns on web pages in Internet
                    Explorer.
                    > *DocReader can sometimes recognize columns.
                    > *Doc reader has a cleaner screen than it had in version 7.
                    > BAD:
                    > *This new DocReader is useless except in Microsoft products.
                    > *Lines in teleprompter jump upward instead of scrolling.
                    > *Lines in AppReader not only jump up. They also jump left and right.
                    > *AppReader can not be reached from the Magnifier, only from the more
                    > expensive Reader.
                    > *DocReader has lost several of the options it had in version 7.
                    > *The DocReader options are on the Reader tab in the trial version. Where
                    > will they be in the product that does not include Reader?
                    > I will appreciate comments from Scott about these problems. Will
                    > they be addressed in future updates?
                    > Also comments from other people who, like me, use DocReader
                    > without speech. How do you use 8.03 or do you find the features you want
                    > in a different product?
                    >
                    > Thanks for any comments.
                    > - Emilia

                  • carol masonmiller
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 4, 2003
                      Thank you for the comments; I was so pleased to find this site. It gives
                      me some idea as to where to start in my research on magnification while I am
                      still capable of reading regular type. I have saved your comments in my
                      file and will let you know what works for me. I am totally new to this
                      technology so it will take me some time to figure out what I need and how to
                      do it.
                      Thanks again--
                      Carol Miller

                      >From: Emilia Belserene <emiliab@...>
                      >To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.03 Released
                      >Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 23:53:08 -0800
                      >
                      >At 09:50 AM 9/26/03 -0400, Scott Moore wrote:
                      >ZoomText 8.03 Released
                      >
                      >I have been trying 8.03 (under Windows 98). I especially like ZoomText for
                      >the way it reformats lines in its teleprompter mode. Version 7 needed some
                      >improvement and I looked forward to version 8. Some things are better but
                      >more are worse.
                      > My comments about 8.03 Magnifier without speech:
                      >GOOD:
                      >*Edge smoothing is excellent
                      >*AppReader can find its way around columns on web pages in Internet
                      >Explorer.
                      >*DocReader can sometimes recognize columns.
                      >*Doc reader has a cleaner screen than it had in version 7.
                      >BAD:
                      >*This new DocReader is useless except in Microsoft products.
                      >*Lines in teleprompter jump upward instead of scrolling.
                      >*Lines in AppReader not only jump up. They also jump left and right.
                      >*AppReader can not be reached from the Magnifier, only from the more
                      >expensive Reader.
                      >*DocReader has lost several of the options it had in version 7.
                      >*The DocReader options are on the Reader tab in the trial version. Where
                      >will they be in the product that does not include Reader?
                      > I will appreciate comments from Scott about these problems. Will
                      >they be addressed in future updates?
                      > Also comments from other people who, like me, use DocReader
                      >without speech. How do you use 8.03 or do you find the features you want
                      >in a different product?
                      >
                      >Thanks for any comments.
                      > - Emilia

                      Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead? Your old favorites are always
                      playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!
                    • wndgarner1@wmconnect.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 7, 2003
                        reply tpcarolmasonmiller@... Get a jump start and load and use
                        magnification program unlike speech which can drve ya nuts GO ahead and load and
                        learn. That was what I did and it eased the stress of vision loss!