Re: [magnifiers] Anyone using ZoomText 8.0 final?

  • cremsonsky@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , May 31, 2003
      Well some of the new features AiSquared got from the Freedom Scientific program called Magic 8.0. But hey if you got to take lessons from your competitors, then you gotta do whatcha gotta do right?
      From Tuliek
      Big T Bowski Style
    • barbara kean
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 4, 2003
        I'am on pins and needles awaiting the list's or anyone in the know finally
        verdict about Zoomtext 8.0 now. I been reading all of the posts thus far and
        can not get a clear enough view of the new Zt 8.0 in order to consider
        buying it.Please,Peter what do you really think about it?

        Barbie

        >From: Paul Smith <pauls@...>
        >To: magnifiers@...
        >Subject: [magnifiers] Anyone using ZoomText 8.0 final?
        >Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:33:10 -0500
        >
        >Just wondering if I'm the first to have gotten the ZoomText 8.0 package?
        >:)
        >

        >-Paul
        >
        >AOL Instant Messenger/Yahoo Messenger screen names- PaulKTF

      • Yolanda Phelan
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 4, 2003
          HI Barb ie
          you might be able to get hands on experience and questions answered at the
          convention.
          see you then.
          Landa

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 4, 2003
            Hi Barbie,

            With the AppReader tool you can now read web page. Everything is read by
            you in the right order. You have several options the way the text is is
            presented on the screen in AppReader.

            Now ZoomText has full color smoothing and this makes colored text much
            more readable. There are some advanced color filter options available,
            but they are difficult to use and I asked AiSquared for a wizard helping
            people to use these color filters and a hotkey to cycle through several
            color combinations.

            Another good feature in ZT8 is mouse echo. If you move the mouse
            everything that is beneath the mouse is spoken out. That makes
            navigation sometimes much easier.

            The quality of magnification is also better, including video clips.

            But there are some remaining minor bugs and I think AiSquared shall
            release some updates in the near future to fix them.
            For example I have no problems to let my computer crahs by using
            AppReader and in high magnification the highlighted text in AppReader is
            outside my screen (so I see nothing).

            As I already wrote before. The upgrade price is 33% of new price and
            that is what I mention absurd expensive (20% is normal in software
            industry).

            Hope this helps.

            Regards Peter Verhoeven

            barbara kean wrote:

            > I'am on pins and needles awaiting the list's or anyone in the know finally
            > verdict about Zoomtext 8.0 now. I been reading all of the posts thus far and
            > can not get a clear enough view of the new Zt 8.0 in order to consider
            > buying it.Please,Peter what do you really think about it?
            >
            > Barbie
            >
            > >From: Paul Smith <pauls@...>
            > >To: magnifiers@...
            > >Subject: [magnifiers] Anyone using ZoomText 8.0 final?
            > >Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:33:10 -0500
            > >
            > >Just wondering if I'm the first to have gotten the ZoomText 8.0 package?
            > >:)
            > >

            > >-Paul
            > >
            > >AOL Instant Messenger/Yahoo Messenger screen names- PaulKTF

          • Ben Weiss
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 5, 2003
              Peter:

              I appreciate your comments on ZoomText 8.0. We have worked very hard on
              this product and we are proud of what we have accomplished. We will
              continue to evolve ZoomText - we are just about to release our first
              maintenance version (8.01) and are already busy working on the second
              maintenance release. Please send me complete details of any bugs you
              run into and we will work to resolve these problems right away.

              I must take exception with one statement you've made concerning our
              upgrade pricing. You've said that the upgrade price of ZoomText is
              "absurdly expensive" and higher than the industry standard price.

              Our pricing reflects the work we put into designing, developing,
              documenting, testing and supporting this product. As you know the
              market for accessibility products is small and the effort required to
              produce a high quality product is quite large. We have a team of 5
              Software Developers, 2 QA Engineers, 2 Technical Writers and a Product
              Manager who have all worked on nothing other than this project for 2.5
              years.

              Also, keep in mind that we have a policy of providing free support and
              free maintenance releases to all registered users, whether they
              purchased a new ZoomText 8.0 product or if they upgrade to ZoomText 8.0.
              Registered users will be able to download the 8.01 release from our
              website sometime next week - for free. We are committed to providing
              these maintenance releases whenever needed. Looking back on our track
              record, with ZoomText 7.0 we provided 6 maintenance releases over a 20
              month period - all for free.

              You also mentioned that our upgrade pricing is above "industry
              standards". If there is a standards committee that establishes
              guidelines for software upgrade pricing, I am unaware of it. I just did
              some research this morning on the web and found the following pricing,
              that suggests ZoomText 8.0 upgrade is actually priced below average.

              Adobe Acrobat Pro
              * new product: $449
              * upgrade: $149
              * upgrade as a percentage of new product: 33%

              Macromedia Flash MX
              * new product: $499
              * upgrade: $199
              * upgrade as a percentage of new product: 40%

              QuickBooks Pro
              * new product: $299.95
              * upgrade: $179.95
              * upgrade as a percentage of new product: 60%

              ZoomText 8.0 Magnifier/ScreenReader
              * new product: $595
              * upgrade: $199
              * upgrade as a percentage of new product: 33%

              I'd be glad to discuss this with you further, if you desire. And thanks
              again for all the fine work you do in providing information to the
              low-vision community. Your efforts over the years have really made a
              difference.

              Ben Weiss
              President, Ai Squared

              barbara kean wrote:

              > I'am on pins and needles awaiting the list's or anyone in the know
              finally
              > verdict about Zoomtext 8.0 now. I been reading all of the posts thus
              far and
              > can not get a clear enough view of the new Zt 8.0 in order to consider
              > buying it.Please,Peter what do you really think about it?
              >
              > Barbie
              >
              > >From: Paul Smith <pauls@...>
              > >To: magnifiers@...
              > >Subject: [magnifiers] Anyone using ZoomText 8.0 final?
              > >Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:33:10 -0500
              > >
              > >Just wondering if I'm the first to have gotten the ZoomText 8.0
              package?
              > >:)
              > >

              > >-Paul
              > >
              > >AOL Instant Messenger/Yahoo Messenger screen names- PaulKTF

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706
              093564:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16nc642bt/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLm
              Rhd=1054793228%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17060935
              64:HM/A=1482387/R=1=1054793228%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egro
              upweb/S=1706093564:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=830411972>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 6, 2003
                Hi Ben,

                You send your comments on "absurd upgrade pricing" to the listing.
                I appriciate that very much.
                I think most of your arguements are very properly if we look at the
                history of version 7.

                But what is your comment on product upgrade prices of comptitive
                companies?
                For example at http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/order/us_pricing.asp
                (Lunarplus $120, Lunar $80).

                I know that AiSquared is not a not profit organization and I also know,
                tat companies in the AT industry extremely must invest in researching.
                One of the reasons is, that Microsoft badly communicates with the AT
                industry and that third parties like Xitrix come with products that are
                completely inaccessible.

                Provision and MAGic were the first screen magnifiers running on the NT
                platform price $995. After AiSquared add NT support in ZoomText and
                didn't raise the price Freedom Scientific drops the price to $595.
                Now MAGic, Lunar and ZoomText all cost $395 in the USA. Lunarplus, MAGic
                with speech and ZoomText magnifier / screen reader cost $595.

                At this moment only upgrade prices differ. I only can say, that I do not
                hope that 33% becomes the new standard.

                I also understand that 20% or 33% does not say much. Most important is,
                how many free updates you get. I also see upgrades that cost 20% that
                only include bug fixes.
                Regards Peter Verhoeven

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 11, 2003
                  Yes,thanks...this has helped me.Now I have to find someone in my area who
                  sells them.Peter,is my ZT extra 7.01 too old to upgrade? I have not been
                  keeping up with the upgrades at all.I guess that I will just have to buy an
                  entir new Zt.

                  Barbie

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 11, 2003
                    Yolanda,thanks....I will be seeing you there.
                    Barbie

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 12, 2003
                      Hi Barbie,

                      You can upgrade from any ZoomText version for the same price.
                      Upgrade from any ZoomText to ZoomText 8 magnifier $149. Upgrade from
                      zoomText level 2 v6 or higher for $199.
                      Note that ZT6 level 2 was the first version with speech.

                      Regards Peter Verhoeven

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 17, 2003
                        Thanks,you are so helpful.
                        Barbie