Re: Macintosh

  • lpnalda
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2003
      Ok, here's what I know about magnifiers for the mac that support
      more than 256 colors. As you probably have found inLarge does not.
      Don't know if Alva has a newer version or not.

      Now, a workaround on CloseView (Apple's own magnifier for mac OS 9
      and below (to 7.1) will run with more colors set. Now here's the
      trick. Set the colors before starting closeview. One Caveat though
      is that even if you have your screen resolution to higher than 256
      I'm not sure that closeview is actually displaying more than 256.
      It also slows down the refresh rate as well.

      Now one thing you could do if you have a real G3 mac (not a G3
      upgrade and also not a 3400 series styled G3 powerbook) is to get
      ahold of Mac OSX 10.2 (Jaguar). It comes with a built in Zoom
      feature (it's under universal acces in the system settings). It
      supports any resolution and font smoothing and has no refresh
      problems. The only thing it won't do (and this could be a problem
      if you do a lot of typing, is track the cursor when typing or
      tabbing through fields. But it's sure nice to have this on OSX as
      it's probably the nicest OS in the world IMHO (and yes I'm biased
      towards UNIX, which OSX is built upon).

      Hope this helps a little.