Problems Using Zoomtext with Task Manager

  • Sherry Wells
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
      I am using Zoomtext 7.1 on a Windows M E machine. When I hit cntl+alt+del
      in order to use task manager, the screen freezes. If I happen to have the
      screen in the right place, I can see the task manager box or part of it. I
      can't move the scrreen and can't even arrow key through the tasks to get to
      the ones that are not shown. Any suggestions on how to remedy this would
      be appreciated.

      Thanks.
      Sherry Wells
    • cremsonsky@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
        Hi Sherry
        the problem isn't with ZoomText it's your current version of windows. Windows
        95/98/98SE/ME are the only operating systems that will do that. Windows XP
        pro or home editions will not freeze on you.

      • Justin Rumsby
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002

          I get the exact same problems with both Win98 and ZoomText 7.06 when i press control+alt+del. I put it down to the inability for Zoomtext to work in those conditions.

          so it's true that in WinXP Zoomtext still functions after ctrl+alt+del? that is amazing if it can do that. It would be a great help whenever I need to close some programmes down to save ram using.

          Justin
          the problem isn't with ZoomText it's your current version of windows. Windows
          95/98/98SE/ME are the only operating systems that will do that. Windows XP
          pro or home editions will not freeze on you.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • cremsonsky@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
            It's true, I use the demo version of ZoomText 7.11 and Windows XP Pro, and it
            works flawlessly.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
              cremsonsky@... wrote:

              > Hi Sherry
              > the problem isn't with ZoomText it's your current version of windows.
              > Windows
              > 95/98/98SE/ME are the only operating systems that will do that.
              > Windows XP
              > pro or home editions will not freeze on you.

              Windows NT kernels don't freeze ZoomText when you're activating the Task
              Manager. Windows NT4, 2000 and XP are built on this kernel and therefore
              don't suffer from this problem.

              MS-DOS legacy kernels will freeze ZoomText when you're activating the
              Task Manager, but this is 'just another problem' with these kernels.
              Furthermore, the more resource intensive your software is, the more
              unstable they become. Screen magnifiers are typically *very* resource
              intensive and therefore I'd like to advice everyone who needs a
              magnifier and (still) uses Windows 9x/ME to switch to NT4/2000/XP.

              Kind regards,
              Bas

              --
              Bas Cancrinus -> bas@...
              Software Architect
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
                It is true. I have Zoomtext on WIN 2000 at work and do not have this
                problem. I was thinking it was a difference in some setting, didn't
                consider that it could be an operating system deficiency (in my opinion).
                Thanks.

                "Justin Rumsby"
                <justin.rumsby@nt To: <magnifiers@yahoogroups.com>
                lworld.com> cc:
                11/05/2002 03:24
                PM
                Please respond to
                magnifiers

                Hi,

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
                  Hey man, always glad to help.

                • cremsonsky@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
                    Well thanks for the info. I kinda figured awhile back that it was a glitch in
                    Microsoft Windows 9x operating systems. I didn't know the reason exactly, but
                    it was really strange how ZoomText would work fine in every single program,
                    but in the taks manager, it would freeze? It was crazy...

                  • John Cunniff -- DeepSpace NetAdmin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
                      Sherry,

                      I've experienced the same problem with it, too! You are not alone. I was
                      going to ask this question but forgotten! :) Glad you brought that up.

                      John

                      --
                      John Cunniff
                      IRC Nick: Johnc

                      How to get to use DeepSpace Network? Download an IRC Client called is "mIRC", go to http://www.mirc.com/ and download the latest version of mIRC. Then, install a latest version of mIRC and run it. Put a server name to "DeepSpace" on the group name field. Then, put your Nick inthe Nick field and Alternate Nick in Alt. Nick field, your name and E-Mail in Name and E-Mail field then, click on "Connect" button to connect to DeepSpace Network. After you are connected, put #Lobby channel in your channel folder then, click "Add" then, click "Join" button to enter a channel.

                      E-Mail: mailto:johnc@...
                      AIM: JCunn27611
                      ICQ: 53861506
                      FAX: 928-563-6157

                      Updated: BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!! I got a new website up and running! Check it out at: http://aquarius.straynet.com/ and you will like it very much. Hope you come and visit with us anytime! If you have any questions or problems, please let me know. Thank you! :)