Netscape 7.0 & LP-Windows or such

  • John Cunniff -- DeepSpace NetAdmin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hello, everybody!

      I would like to ask you a question on a new Netscape 7.0 that I
      installed for a Deaf-Blind woman on her computer. She was using Netscape

      4.78 and no problem. But when installing a new Netscape 7.0, and I found

      a little problem was that when she used the large print software, called

      LP-Windows the panning of the cursor is a little slow when hitting
      "RETURN" or "WRAP" to the next line. She had to wait for LP-Windows to
      move to the cursor's position (blinking cursor, I meant). Another
      problem. On a various command I used during testing after setting up.
      Like my first time, when I attempted to access Mail client by myself. It

      was fine. But when I showed her the system. It did CRASHED! Then, I had
      to check something to be sure. It was OK to me. Then, showed her again.
      It was OK. Later, I had to check addressbook. I found that a lady needed

      to edit something. I had to look for the menu. I found it was moved to
      Window from Communicator menu. Anyway, I hit TAB a few times. Suddenly,
      I got BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! Grrrr. Then I found that the addressbook got

      damaged!!! But lucky, no damages on her old Netscape. Anyway, then, the
      last thing, I let her reply an E-Mail to me via test. But she got BLUE
      SCREEN OF DEATH after she tried to reply! What a pain! But I unused
      LP-Windows while worked on Netscape and it did not crash! How weird it
      was!

      I talked with my deaf and legally blind friend about it. He has Netscape

      7.0 on his computer. It was fine on his end; he has no problem with it.
      :) He told me that he does NOT understand why the woman's computer keeps

      getting BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!! He thinks that the woman's computer has

      a history of problem. Like mine, I experienced attempted to do things on

      America Online software but I got BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH too frequent with

      LP-Windows. He thinks that LP-Windows is obsolete now. He recommended
      the woman to get a new upgrade of the screen magnification such as
      ZoomText. I think that he may be right on that. Because LP-Windows is
      NOT compatible with the woman's OS. Her OS is Windows ME.and her
      computer speed is 900 MHz with a plenty of memory.

      I would appreciate your feedbacks what should I do about this. I heard
      that Netscape is a very good one but maybe problem with LP-Windows that
      causes Blue Screen of Death as my friend thinks.

      Thank you very much.

      John

      --
      John Cunniff
      IRC Nick: Johnc

      How to get to use DeepSpace Network? Download an IRC Client called is
      "mIRC", go to http://www.mirc.com/ and download the latest version of
      mIRC. Then, install a latest version of mIRC and run it. Put a server
      name to "DeepSpace" on the group name field. Then, put your Nick inthe
      Nick field and Alternate Nick in Alt. Nick field, your name and E-Mail
      in Name and E-Mail field then, click on "Connect" button to connect to
      DeepSpace Network. After you are connected, put #Lobby channel in your
      channel folder then, click "Add" then, click "Join" button to enter a
      channel.

      E-Mail: mailto:johnc@...
      AIM: JCunn27611
      ICQ: 53861506
      FAX: 928-563-6157

      ---------------------------------------
      Updated: BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!! I got a new website up and running! Check
      it out at: http://aquarius.straynet.com/ and you will like it very much.
      Hope you come and visit with us anytime! If you have any questions or
      problems, please let me know. Thank you! :)
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
        John Cunniff -- DeepSpace NetAdmin wrote:
        > to edit something. I had to look for the menu. I found it was moved to
        > Window from Communicator menu. Anyway, I hit TAB a few times. Suddenly,
        > I got BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! Grrrr. Then I found that the addressbook got
        > damaged!!! But lucky, no damages on her old Netscape. Anyway, then, the
        > last thing, I let her reply an E-Mail to me via test. But she got BLUE
        > SCREEN OF DEATH after she tried to reply! What a pain! But I unused
        > LP-Windows while worked on Netscape and it did not crash! How weird it
        > was!

        I'm pretty sure that all this is caused by LP-Windows ("Now Windows 95
        compatible!", according to the web site...). Remove this old crappy
        magnifier from her compu and try ZoomText (http://www.aisquared.com) and
        Lunar/Hall/Supernova (http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk) instead.

        Good luck!
        Bas
      • John Cunniff -- DeepSpace NetAdmin
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
          Dear Bas,

          Hello, Bas! THANK YOU very much! That was what my friends told me as his
          thinking. He was RIGHT! I will take care of this soon!!!

          Unfortunately, if she goes for ZoomText, she MUST purchase the FULL
          version cost. She BOUGHT LP-Windows for $500.00 back in 1992 or 1993.
          LP-Windows was a very good product back in 1990's but not anymore that
          is sad!!!

          I do not like Lunar as I heard bad things about Lunar through this list
          so, I avoid Lunar but hear a very good thing about ZoomText but cost???
          Not an upgrade fee from LP-Windows to ZoomText. That is a seperate
          product if I am not mistaken.

          Please correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks!!!

          John

          Bas Cancrinus wrote:

          > John Cunniff -- DeepSpace NetAdmin wrote:
          > > to edit something. I had to look for the menu. I found it was moved
          > > Window from Communicator menu. Anyway, I hit TAB a few times.
          > Suddenly,
          > > I got BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! Grrrr. Then I found that the addressbook
          > got
          > > damaged!!! But lucky, no damages on her old Netscape. Anyway, then,
          > the
          > > last thing, I let her reply an E-Mail to me via test. But she got
          > BLUE
          > > SCREEN OF DEATH after she tried to reply! What a pain! But I unused
          > > LP-Windows while worked on Netscape and it did not crash! How weird
          > it
          > > was!
          >
          > I'm pretty sure that all this is caused by LP-Windows ("Now Windows 95
          >
          > compatible!", according to the web site...). Remove this old crappy
          > magnifier from her compu and try ZoomText (http://www.aisquared.com)
          > and
          > Lunar/Hall/Supernova (http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk) instead.
          >
          > Good luck!
          > Bas
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          [Image]

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2002
            John Cunniff -- DeepSpace NetAdmin wrote:
            > Hello, Bas! THANK YOU very much! That was what my friends told me as his
            > thinking. He was RIGHT! I will take care of this soon!!!

            You're welcome.

            > Unfortunately, if she goes for ZoomText, she MUST purchase the FULL
            > version cost. She BOUGHT LP-Windows for $500.00 back in 1992 or 1993.

            If she bought LP in 1993 and she used it till now, it only cost her $500
            / 9y = $55.6 a year, which is a VERY good deal. In my opinion this
            justifies a replacement (I replace/update every ~3y).

            > I do not like Lunar as I heard bad things about Lunar through this list
            > so, I avoid Lunar but hear a very good thing about ZoomText but cost???

            Just try them, both products perform very well. It's a matter of taste
            and needs. Evaluation downloads are free, so give them a try!

            > Not an upgrade fee from LP-Windows to ZoomText. That is a seperate
            > product if I am not mistaken.

            That's correct: no upgrade, but a new license.
            Well, good luck with your evaluation! Please post back which product you
            choose and why.

            Kind regards,
            Bas

            --