RE: [magnifiers] Responce AiSquared support about DocReader probl ems

  • Bert Ebbe
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 10, 2002
      Sorry, I didn't know about a hearing handicap. Makes a lot of difference
      indeed.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 10, 2002
        In message <5.1.0.14.1.20020710124742.00a83c50@...> Peter
        Verhoeven writes:

        >Hi Bert,
        >
        >No, as far as I know Leslie has a hearing handicap, so he don't want to
        >listen from the Clipboard.

        Has Leslie tried WordAloud? Although WordAloud does not read directly
        from Word, you can use clipboard. But, unlike DocReader, WordAloud
        treats the clip as a document, and you can read it in large text
        and/or listen to it (in British English).

        Does Lesley have any hearing? If so he could try listening with
        direct input from computer to hearing aid or via a T coupling.
        The synthesiser is very clear, even if it seems somewhat robotic -
        most people get used to it very quickly! And you can adjust the
        speed, pitch and gaps between words with a choice of voices to
        suit your hearing ability.

        BTW, if you do control+A before the control+C, the whole Word document is
        copied to clipboard. Then an Alt+Tab can swap the focus from Word
        back to WordAloud, and click on "Clip" button or type 'x' to see/hear
        the text.

        Use the back button, or type '<', to go back to what you were reading
        before the clip.

        Cheers,

        John
        --
        >You can also assign a hotkey to launch notepad in Windows.
        >
        >Regards Peter Verhoeven
        >
        >At 12:18 10-07-2002 +0200, you wrote:
        >>Hello Peter,
        >>
        >>Indeed copying text form a web page into Notepad and using DocReader there,
        >>is a good alternative. Already mentioned on this list by Cathy Swanson some
        >>month ago. But starting up or switching to Notepad is an extra handling.
        >>Using the "Speak contents of Clipboard" command could be useful in situation
        >>where only passive reading of a piece of text is wanted. When you don't need
        >>the useful features that DocReader has. I think that's what Leslie wanted to
        >>do from the WebFormator window.
        >>As you know DocReader can be started in two ways: with CTRL+SHIFT+R ZoomText
        >>"grabs" text out off the active window. Works okay in a lot of cases. The
        >>second method is CTRL+SHIFT+D which give the user the possibility to select
        >>a window from the screen to be the input for DocReader. My suggestion was:
        >>create a THIRD hotkey to open DocReader with an EMPTY text window. Paste any
        >>text from the clipboard straight into this window with CTRL+V (without the
        >>intermediate use of Notepad) and you can use DocReader for any kind of text,
        >>coming from any application that permits copying text to the Windows
        >>clipboard. Maybe an even better solution: open DocReader and automatically
        >>copy text from the clipboard into its window. Would save one CTRL+V
        >>keystroke!
        >>It could (in my opinion) be one tiny contribution to add to all the desired
        >>features you mention, to work with the Internet in ZoomText.
        >>Greetings, Bert

        Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

        John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
        Tel: +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
        Fax: +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
        Web: http://www.cloudworld.co.uk
      • Leslie P Peterson
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2002
          Bert,

          I am smiling....

          My brain depends on HELP.txt and User's Manual, but my brain is lazy to
          memory or remember. PC is best memory than I am. PC can change anything
          but it can not help me to remember about my changed.

          User's Manual is very solid stubborn because it refused to edit. LOL!

          Yes, I did change some but I got lost, because I can not remember so many
          features. For the exanmple, I setup my preference on ZT and it was
          perfect for me. Later somehow I need to re-install ZT but everything is
          back to default but I can not remember what did I change them before. It
          has no backup file or configure file in different folder.

          You are right it is fun to try. I like computer keeps me work and
          struggle with it. It will keep my rememberance how to solve it. I can
          not trust the techical-repair man. I like to do myself.

          Ofcourse, it is fun.

          Smiling
          Leslie--
          On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:12:06 +0200 Bert Ebbe <Bert.Ebbe@...>
          writes:
          > Thanks Cathy and Peter,
          > I almost posted a reaction to Leslie's messages with the same
          > suggestion to
          > use ALT+SHIFT+B. This works indeed for reading long pages of text
          > extracted
          > out off the WebFormator window. But the disadvantage is you can't
          > control
          > the speech like we are used to in DocReader. This command reads the
          > whole
          > text from top to bottom and that's it.
          > Maybe a suggestion for ZoomText 8: Add the possibility to manually
          > "paste"
          > text into the DocReader window. That would avoid problem like these
          > where
          > DocReader cannot access the application.
          > And Leslie: I would not be afraid to change hotkeys. This
          > possibility is not
          > build in by AiSquared "just for fun". Make a good note of the keys
          > you
          > change and pin it to the wall over your bed and you won't have any
          > problems
          > with that!
          > BTW: Internet Explorer also uses the BACKSPACE key to go to the
          > previous
          > page. So only "Next page" is a conflict.
          > Greetings, Bert Ebbe

        • Leslie P Peterson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 10, 2002
            Bert,

            Yes, I agree with you. Cathy already informed to the technican about it,
            because it will be valuable to the deaf with visual-impaired users like
            mine.

            I think I once read about ZT 8.0 will be one. I think it said that I can
            hotkey and click on the area on the web page then it will appear in
            DocReader in either speech or text. Then I can press ESC and it will be
            back. I hope I am correct.

            Leslie--

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 10, 2002
              Huh,

              I forget to tell you.

              Why do I use WordPad or HTML (in email's word processor) because they are
              no limit space, but NotePad is limied space (like 500 lines). In the
              past NotePad was no limited space but it is now. GRRRR! WordPad was
              limited but not now.

              I wonder if I can make NotePad to be no limited? Otherwise I need to buy
              a software?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 10, 2002
                John,

                I am Smiling and typing....

                Yes, I am foundly (full) DEAF since I born with Ushers syndromve Type 1.
                We have about 25,000 Ushers around the USA. It is genetic causes.

                I can feel any noise but I can not hear the sound.

                I am completely depending on the text communication.

                Is WordAloud show any text or font on the screen?

                I like WebFormatted so much. It was my second one. Zt was my first for
                the years. ZT is my favorite because it is only have DocReader in PROMPTY
                mode but others does not have it.

                ZT programmer must be high IQ because he knows how to write the program
                and help low-visual users happy to read again.

                Now I am going to be blind slow and my age is old . I realized that was
                hard for me to challenge more because I am pretty tired with many
                frustration. I have the braille display. I bought my first ScreenReader
                from WindowsEye last May. It is conflict with ZT and Windows keys. I
                turns Braille so easy because it was HARD for me to adjust with many
                complex programs on the computers.

                Yes, it is fun but old age is resisting more challenge. It is not like my
                young age as I was so Stubborn until I win. LOL!

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 11, 2002
                  Leslie P Peterson wrote:
                  > I wonder if I can make NotePad to be no limited? Otherwise I need to buy
                  > a software?

                  www.textpad.com

                  Bas

                  --
                  Bas Cancrinus -> bas@...
                  Software Architect
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 11, 2002
                    Bas,

                    Thank you so much! I download it and I evaluated it. Yes, I want it. I
                    will play with it for a while until I may buy it.

                    Thank you so much1
                    Leslie--

                  • jn@tommy.demon.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 17, 2002
                      Hi Lesley,

                      WordAloud has a text display, showing a word-at-a-time in the
                      centre of the window. You can adjust the size (from 10 to over 100 points),
                      the font and the colour scheme (for text and background). This type
                      of display is ideal for those with tunnel vision. It is could
                      for other visual impairment where there are patches of reasonably
                      good vision in the visual field. (Unfortunately not for Peter
                      Verhoeven it seems.) What kind of visual impairment do you have?
                      How much can you see?

                      Cheers,

                      John
                      --
                      In message <20020710.143600.-659029.7.lesliepeterson@...>
                      Leslie P Peterson writes:
                      >John,
                      >
                      >I am Smiling and typing....
                      >
                      >Yes, I am foundly (full) DEAF since I born with Ushers syndromve Type 1.
                      >We have about 25,000 Ushers around the USA. It is genetic causes.
                      >
                      >I can feel any noise but I can not hear the sound.
                      >
                      >I am completely depending on the text communication.
                      >
                      >Is WordAloud show any text or font on the screen?

                      [snip]