RE: [magnifiers] Does anyone know of an enlarger that will read the entireline at once?

  • jn@tommy.demon.co.uk
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 30 9:09 AM
      Hi Anja,

      "... name it, and I have it."

      Have you tried any serial presentation systems? I find I can read very
      fast - though I'm a bit dyslexic I can manage 500 wpm comfortably.
      WordAloud allows you to blow up the text to over 100 point, i.e. about
      1" high characters, on the screen, and you've a choice of colour
      of text and background. Providing you can take in the longer words
      at a glance, i.e. without needing to scan across with your eyes, you
      should be able to read from the screen as fast as a sighted person,
      and read a lot faster than the average sighted person can from the
      printed page!

      Cheers,

      John
      --

      --
      Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

      John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
      Tel: +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
      Fax: +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
      Web: http://www.cloudworld.co.uk
    • Anja Torres
      Message 2 of 19 , May 18, 2002
        Hello John, maybe I spoke too soon, maybe I do not have it all. I do not
        know what a serial presentation system is. When I use Zoom Text I get dizzy
        after a couple of minutes, and I do not like Window Eyes because I cannot
        track with it. CCTVs also make me seasick. That is why I opted for a human
        reader. Please let me know where to learn more sbout it. Thank you. anja

        writes:

        >I was in the same predicament as him. I wanted to read the whole page or at
        >least the whole line. I have my own practice and have to go through loads
        >of records, texts etc. As my vision went from X2 to X8 magnif. With
        >Zoomtext, I had to give in and realize that my life had changed. Right now
        >there is nothing that does exactly what he wants. I have 3 CCTVs, a
        >miniviewer, 3 scanners, Kurtzweil, Windoweyes, name it, and I have it. I
        >hired myself a reader (a live, human readerÂ…..) and I use a large CCTV fo>r
        >graphics. The problem is that it is not the monitor size that decides the
        >size of the document, it is the camera. Anja

        --
        Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

        John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
        Tel: +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
        Fax: +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
        Web: http://www.cloudworld.co.uk

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2028952.3504245.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17060935
        64:HM/A=1061772/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211
        /2458684356>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • jn@tommy.demon.co.uk
        Message 3 of 19 , May 20, 2002
          Hello Anja,

          Speech is a serial audio presentation system, since words are spoken
          in succession. You hear one word, then the next, and so on.
          A serial visual presentation system is when words are displayed in
          succession. You are shown one word, then the next and so on.
          Because only one word is displayed at a time, it is possible to
          magnify the words until the whole width of the screen is used.
          But the important thing is to have the size of characters such that you
          can take in each whole word at a glance. So you don't have to
          move your eyes from side to side. That is why rapid reading is
          possible. I suspect your dizziness comes from the words swimming
          about across the screen. With a serial presentation system each
          word is frozen on the screen until replaced by the next word.

          To try a serial presentation system, try downloading WordAloud
          from www.wordaloud.co.uk. In this system, the visual presentation
          can be coupled speech (audio presentation), such that you see each
          word as it is spoken. If you turn off the speech (by setting the
          mode to "text" in the options box), you can use WordAloud as a
          rapid reader. And you can of course use it in any language with
          the Latin alphabet (as supported by HTML).

          BTW, when not couple to speech, the time that each word is display
          depend on the length of word, when WordAloud is playing through
          the text. You can adjust this speed from 10 wpm (words per minute)
          up to 1000 wpm. Alternatively at the "word level" you can step
          through the words using the Right arrow/cursor key.

          Have a go! Let us know how fast you can read, and whether you
          avoid the dizzy feeling.

          Cheers from Chiswick,

          John
          --