Re: [magnifiers] Re: Web Eyes is released

  • John Cunniff -- DeepSpace NetAdmin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 17 2:52 PM
      Hi Peter,

      thanks very much for explanation! I appreciated that.

      John

      Peter Verhoeven wrote:

      > Hi John,
      >
      > There is no software at the registered domain at all. There is only a
      > checking for registration for the web site the client is visiting.
      > If there are no aternative description on images, there are also no
      > such
      > descriptions in the Web Eyes view.
      > The plug-in should work for a very small broup of people if it was a
      > free
      > plug-in not letting domains register and not suggesting that it solves
      > all
      > accessible problems.
      > There is already a plug-in WebFormator, that is free and does not
      > suggest,
      > that it solves all accessible problems on the Internet.
      >
      > In my opinion any dollar that is paid by owners of domains, that want
      > their
      > web site to be accessible, is one dollar too much. They better can
      > spend
      > their money to make their web site really acccessible by implementing
      > the
      > accessibility guidelines of th W3C.
      >
      > Regards Peter Verhoeven
      >
      > At 17:33 15-3-02 +0000, you wrote:
      >
      > >Hello Peter,
      > >
      > >I am puzzled how a plug-in can make all sites accessible to screen
      > readers,
      > >and at the same time domain owners can buy it, presumably to make
      > their
      > >own sites accessible. How can it be client side and host side at the
      >
      > >same time? How can it add ALT tag text to diagrams, when only the
      > >author/producer of the diagram knows what text is appropriate? It
      > would
      > >require more than super-human intelligence - it would require
      > telepathy!
      > >
      > >Cheers from Chiswick,
      > >
      > >John
      > >--
      > >In message <5.1.0.14.1.20020315104222.00a16cd0@...>
      > >Peter via EASI@..., and other lists, writes:
      > >
      > > >Hi,
      > > >
      > > >The message below is a reply to a message, that was posted on the
      > vicug-l
      > > >listing. I send this reply to some other lists and the president of
      > ION
      > > >Systems, because I do not agree with what the ION Systems, who made
      > Web
      > > >Eyes, is telling the world.
      > > >
      > > >I tried the Web Eyes plugin on several pages and I do not hope
      > > >accessibility problems will be solved with this kind of software!
      > This kind
      > > >of software is not an alternative for making web sites accessible.
      > The
      > > >company suggests, that Web Eyes is an alternative cost effective
      > solution
      > > >to make web sites accessible.
      > >
      > >[snip]

      > (722K) that
      > it can
      > Jaws and

      > any
> [...]

      John Cunniff
      IRC Nick: Johnc
      Server and Network Administrator
      Aquarius.md.us.deepspace.org
      http://www.deepspace.org/chat.html

      How to get to use DeepSpace Network? Download an IRC Client called is
      "mIRC", go to http://www.mirc.com/ and download the latest version of
      mIRC. Then, install a latest version of mIRC and run it. Put a server
      name to "DeepSpace" on the group name field. Then, put your Nick inthe
      Nick field and Alternate Nick in Alt. Nick field, your name and E-Mail
      in Name and E-Mail field then, click on "Connect" button to connect to
      DeepSpace Network. After you are connected, put #Lobby channel in your
      channel folder then, click "Add" then, click "Join" button to enter a
      channel.

      E-Mail: mailto:johnc@...
      AIM: JCunn27611
      ICQ: 53861506