Re: [magnifiers] Screen Magnification for UNIX

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 12, 2002
      http://www.magnifiers.org/cgi-bin/links/jump.cgi?ID=127

      Regards Peter Verhoeven

      At 15:25 12-03-2002 +0100, you wrote:
      >Do you have an URL to the place where I can download puff?
      >

      >/Ilias
      >
      >==
      >Ilias Bennani - ilias@... ICQ: 5373155
      >Stockholm (Farsta), Sweden. Mobile: +46 (0)733 22 75 22
      >
      >Fax and voicemail: +46 (0)8 598 29 222.

    • Steven Whatley
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 12, 2002
        On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Steven Whatley wrote:
        > http://www.arc.umn.edu/gvl-software/puff/

        Oh, BTW, it does both text cursor and mouse tracking except if your are
        using XEmacs. Emacs does its own cursor movement and not the standeard X
        system calls.

        Later,
        Steven
      • Steven Whatley
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2002
          On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Peter Verhoeven wrote:
          > http://www.magnifiers.org/cgi-bin/links/jump.cgi?ID=127

          I think it would be good for people to go to the "offical" site so those
          folks knows there are people are still interested in their Puff program.
          Or go to both places. :)
        • John Nissen
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 14, 2002
            Hello Stuart,

            We have ported our WordAloud assistive reader from Windows to LINUX. It
            reads text or web pages, with a word-at-a-time display and speech
            synthesiser. We haven't ported the speech yet, so you'd need to run
            WordAloud in text-only mode. With WordAloud you can control size of
            characters, font, colour of text and background, and the speed of
            presentation (up to 1000 words per minute). You can also step through
            the text a word or a sentence at a time.

            WordAloud allows the normally-sighted person to read very rapidly,
            because they don't have to move eyes, as the words are flashed up in the
            centre of the screen. Indeed I find I can read about three times faster
            than off the printed page. But if you have low vision, you may be able
            to read just as fast, providing you have some part of your field of view
            where you can take in the full width of the words, and read them at a
            glance. You need to fix your gaze at some spot on the screen such that
            the words flash up in the best part of your field of view. This may
            take a little experimentation, but, if you are successful, you should
            find that you can read very rapidly. In fact, your speed is likely to
            be limited by what you can take in cognitively, rather than the quality
            of your vision.

            You can download free evaluation version from www.wordaloud.co.uk, to
            run on Windows (W95, W98, ME, NT, XP and W2000).

            Cheers from Chiswick,

            John
            --
            In message <OFCC756F2D.97E1075C-ON80256B7A.00413E8B@...
            m>, Stuart M Powell <stuart.powell@...> writes

            >Does anyone have any experience of screen magnification running under UNIX
            >?
            >
            >Any comments / advice will be very much appreciated.
            >
            >Thanks.
            >
            >Regards
            >
            >Stuart Powell.
            > IBM Global Services (AMS&P),
            > F3L, PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, UK, P06 3AU.
            > Tel +44(0)2392-561507. Int 251507. Mob 0775-288-9577
            > Fax +44(0)2392-560961.
            > stuart.powell@.... GBIB1AJD.

            Try our WordAloud software! Visit http://www.wordaloud.co.uk

            John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd
            Tel: +44 20 8987 8326 (or 0845 458 3944 in the UK)
            Fax: +44 20 8742 8715
            Email: jn@...
            Site: http://www.cloudworld.co.uk