Choice of Software

  • John Prescott
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2001
      Hello, I'm sorry I can't offer any tips and tricks,
      being new to the world of Magnifiers its information
      I'm after. I wonder if anyone has an opinion on the
      best combination of software needed to obtain
      simultaneous magnification and speech on applications
      running on a Windows NT Network. I work in an
      organisation where a number of people with various
      degrees of visual impairment need to access web pages
      and Microsoft Office software. The workstations are
      mainly using Windows 98. I would greatly appreciate
      any advice from the folks out there. Regards, John.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2001
        Hi John,

        LunarPlus and ZoomText Xtra level 2 combine magnification and speech on a
        NT network platform. MAGic 8 from Henter-Joyce only includes speech support
        on Windows 9x/ME and they are working on a NT/2000 version.
        ZoomText must be installed on any computer on the network, that should be
        used by a visually impaired person, but also with LunarPlus you have to
        copy several files to directories at the workstation where LunarPlus should
        be used.

        To find a product that fits the needs of all users should be very
        difficult. ZoomText seems to be the best screen magnifier, but the speech
        support is very poor. The speech support in LunarPlus is more extensive.
        Users highly depending on magnification whould prefer ZoomText while users
        highly denpending on speech should prefer LunarPlus.
        But there are also other combinations used. For example the combination of
        ZoomText and Windows eyes seems to be very popular, because of the highly
        compatibility of these products and the extensive blind speech support of
        Windows Eyes. But as you should understand, two different products are more
        expensive as one.

        BTW: Dolphin and AiSquared are both working on improvements of the speech
        support in their products.

        I think you can best do an evaluation of some products first, before you
        buy anything. See what the users prefer and think it is the best for them.

        Regards Peter Verhoeven

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2001
          Hello, thanks Peter for the assistance and the quick
          response. One final thing that I forgot to mention. Is
          VI software generally thought to work OK installed on
          a network sever or is it best installed locally on
          each workstation that requires it. The production of
          sound requires a lot of digital proccesing so I
          suspect it might be the latter. Anyone have any
          experiences with this? Regards, John.

          --- Peter Verhoeven <pav@...> wrote: > Hi John,