      From: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:magnifiers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Sherry Wells
      Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:27 AM
      To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [magnifiers] Re: Random Thoughts on Disabilities

      This has been a most interesting thread. I agree with Karey in that it is
      best when possible to let someone, especially a potential employer, get to
      know you before disclosing that you have a disability. I work as a
      consultant so often have to interview for new assignments and travel to
      new places. I find that people are genuinely interested in how we work on
      the computer and get around. Most are reluctant to ask as they do not
      want to be intrusive. Its nice when they do feel comfortable enough to
      ask questions. I would be the same way with those with other
      disabilities, the dwarf for example. As someone said, it is interesting
      to learn about all sorts of different people.

      The anecdote about people wanting to have their picture taken with the
      dwarf reminds me of something that happened to me shortly after 911. I
      was walking down the street and a total stranger came up to me and told
      me how lucky I was not to be able to see the horrific tv images of the
      twin towers burning and collapse. I was so surprised that I did not think
      of a good response, just muttered something about not considering myself
      particularly lucky in that regard. I'm still amazed someone would think
      that way and also wonder at the incredible idiocy of going up to a dwarf
      and asking to have your picture taken with him or her.

      Regards,
      Sherry Wells

      "hostricity" <geoffstaples@... <mailto:geoffstaples%40hostricity.com> >
      Sent by: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>
      03/01/10 11:06 AM
      Please respond to
      magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>

      magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>
      cc

      Subject
      [magnifiers] Re: Dual Monitor - Magnification displays on second monitor

      Karey said, "It is true that you have to be careful about how much you
      overwhelm people at first with your needs for adaptive ewuipment and how
      you do your job. I have found that for me it works best to down play the
      impairement. I never lie about it, but I don't always bring it up in the
      beginning. This way people get to know me first as a person and then they
      learn about my disability. In this
      way I am seen as a person with a disability rather than as a disabled
      person."

      I agree. I do websites for political candidates. One of my candidates is a
      dwarf. If he is elected judge, we think he will be the first dwarf in the
      U. S. elected to the bench.

      He is a great person and will likely beat two opponents in the Democratic
      primary next week. The winner of the Democratic Primary will win in
      November, barring something weird.

      When I did his website, I told him that people should get to know him
      first as a competent attorney and candidate. So, I had him do a short
      video which we put up on the home page of his website. Once you get into
      the website, it is obvious that he's a dwarf from the photos with other
      political figures and the stuff he says about it in his biography. He's a
      really strong candidate, so I don't know if the "get to know him first"
      strategy actually made any difference, but he's winning and it didn't
      hurt.

      Here's something he told me I found really offensive. He and his wife let
      it roll off their backs, but I know it is annoying to them and that they
      have to put on a game face and be polite: They tell me that when they are
      out in public, that it isn't uncommon for people to walk up to them and
      ask if they can take their picture or have a picture taken with them. They
      think the people want a picture of the "freaks", and I agree.

      I was surprised that people would do that. If I were standing in line or
      sitting next to one of them in a bar, I wouldn't hesitate talking to them
      about being a dwarf if we were enjoying casual conversation -- I'm always
      curious and excited to meet people who have different experiences from my
      own, but walking up to someone on the street and asking to take their
      picture seems really rude.

      I know that I will talk with people about this kind of stuff more quickly
      than most other people. I think it's because I grew up in Baltimore, in
      the Johns Hopkins community, and I was constantly around all kinds of
      different people and they were my friends - so, of course, we talked about
      what we had in common and what's different.

      My theory is that people can tell whether you are comfortable about
      discussing these things with them, and they interpret that comfort as a
      friendly gesture of goodwill, so they are happy to talk with someone they
      believe is genuinely interested and sympathetic.

      Geoff

      --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com> , Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi T H,
      > As I mentioned earlier, I am an Applications Programmer at a Community
      College. I previously worked for IBM as a programmer for 17 years before
      I was laid off in 2002. I have found good and bad supervisors with
      regard to my visual impairement. I completely agree with Groff in that
      you should first find what you enjoy doing and that will make the visual
      impairement easier to get over.
      > It is true that you have to be careful about how much you overwhelm
      people at first with your needs for adaptive ewuipment and how you do your
      job. I have found that for me it works best to down play the
      impairement. I never lie about it, but I don't always bring it up in the
      beginning. This way people get to know me first as a person and then
      they learn about my disability. In this way I am seen as a person with a
      disability rather than as a disabled person. This may seem like
      symantics, but I have found that if people know me first, then they are
      usually more willing to get past the disability. This doesn't always
      work, but there are just some people who will never understand or be open
      to understanding. You have to find the approach that works best for you.
      > For me, the best compliment is when soneone finds out some time after
      meeting me that I am legally blind and is surprised to find out. This
      means that I have "overcome" the disability.
      > IN my current job, I let them know fairly early on about the need for
      ZoomText, but by that point they already knew from my past experience that
      I could do the job. One of my first assignments was to do a very manual
      task on the computer. This involved copying data from one screen to
      another and entering data that was quite tedious. After learning the
      task, I became borred and realized that I could not do it as fast as
      others, due to needing to read the data to input it. So, I created a
      program that automated much of the manual effort. When I showed my
      supervisor what I had done, I found myself taking on more tasks and doing
      the same with them. ONe of my early on tasks used to take about 2 days
      for me to do, and aobut a day for one of my calleagues to do. After I
      automated it, the task could be done with greater accuracy in about 2
      hours. One of my calleagues remarked a few months after I started that
      she had not anticipated my disability
      > being an asset to the department because in my difficulty to do some of
      these manual tasks, I had created efficiencies in the department that they
      had never anticipated, much less in my first few months. I share this
      just to give you an idea of how you can take your difficulties and turn
      them into assets. I have continued to create these efficiencies in my
      current position and have become known throught the Community College
      system here in Colorado and was even hired under contract to do some of
      what I have done for my college at the College System to benefit them and
      the other colleges.
      > It has not always been easy. In fact, I truely believe that some of
      the reason I was selected for the lay-off was due to my disability, but
      when I looked into it with a lawywer, I was told that the best I could
      hope for, if I wonl, was to get my job back and be working for the same
      supervisor. He was one that just never understood and the culture was
      such that everyone was being driven to their humanly possible limits.Â
      This made it nearly impossible to compensate for my disability and I was
      just not able to produce at the levels they wanted. Now, I understand
      that they are expecting 60 to 80 hours a week with top productivity from
      everyone and this would have meant about 100 to 120 hours per week from me
      to compensate. I'm enjoying life so much more working for a Community
      College than for the corporate world. I only wish that I had discovered
      this sooner. Again, I mention this to say it is so important to find a
      job you enjoy and then you
      > can overcome the other challenges much easier.
      > I'd be happy to discuss this more off-line as I'm sure this is not
      pertinent to everyone on this list, but I wanted to share a bit in case
      others had interest in this topic.
      > Best of luck to you in your career decisions and if I can be of help,
      dont hesitate to e-mail me.

      > Thank you,
      > Have a Great Day!
      >
      > Karey Carbaugh

      college to pursue my Bachelor degree in Health Information Management. I
      access most of my classes online but decided to take some in seat classes
      this semester and this has been a challenge for me. I am constantly
      explaining my low vision needs to people. I have had low visoin for
      over ten years and I am only 39 years old and never knew anyone in my
      situation. I struggle with the facrt that I have low vision every day.Â
      I always wonder if someone is going to hire me after I finish school.Â
      How do I explain my situation to employers?

      magnifier that can be placed over the screen if he doesn't need a lot of
      magnification. They make, or used to make, such devices for people to
      use on a TV and they sat in front of the TV screen to just magnify it a
      little.
      > Also, I don't know if this dual monitor feature is available in the new
      Windows 7 Magnifier, built in to Windows, that many have raved about on
      this list.
      > I personally just hooked up a second monitor to my system at work,
      running ZoomText, last week. I absolutely LOVE it, love the flexibility
      and the avil.ity to HotKey between 1 monitor having an enlarged image and
      the other an un-enlarged image, having both monitors with an enlarged
      "clone" of each other, or having both monitors in Span mode where they act
      as a really wide screen with an enlarged image that goes across both
      screens. I love the first and last options I've described above, and
      while I probably won't use them all the time, or even a lot of the time,
      having a span of a really wide spreadsheet, my goodness how did I ever do
      it for the past 10+ years with ZoomText and 15 or more before that with
      only one monitor and a spreadsheet with 20 or 30 columns!! And, the 1x
      image along with an enlarged image has already proved invaluable for
      training, both with me as the traner and as the trainee! The sighted
      person can look at the second screen
      > while I look at the enlarged screen and if they want to show me
      something on my screen, I simply hand them my mouse and they move it on
      the 1x screen and I see it on the 8x enlarged screen! This is truely one
      of the best things to hit ZoomText in a long time, and I didn't know what
      I was missing!

      > Thank you,
      > Have a Great Day!
      >
      > Karey Carbaugh

      200% to 300% would be plenty.

      > This is for someone who can see the monitor screen to navigate, etc.,
      but needs the magnification to perform various functions and read smaller
      text.

      > He is not legally blind, but has low vision issues related to diabetes
      and needs an assist.

      > We found that magnifying directly under the magnifier disrupts his
      ability to use and navigate the screen, hence the idea of magnification on
      the second screen.